Possible changes in the new codex.

Gundric

1) It’s just easier to compare them to WS than ultra marines

2) WS are a thing, I have to play them. Nobody is playing Ultra marines because WS are better. However to be fair most are now playing blood angles and SW.

Mortarion got a buff, most units got side changed, a lot got nerfed, the stratagems are complete garbage. Anyone who thinks this codex is a buff is delusional sorry

1) It's easier to compare them to the strongest loyalist chapter which is built around speed, the exact opposite of what DG is, or is it the most convenient for your argument?

2) Prior to the white scars supplement I've never even seen a white scars marine player in person. If you only play meta chasing marine players that change their chapter with every update that sounds like a personal problem. How good white scars are does not change the fact that overall DG are getting buffed.

Mortarion did get buffed, probably too much. Lord of contagion got buffed from the -1T aura (as well as most units in the book). Chaos lords and sorcerers got buffed by getting T5 and DR. Plague marines went to 2W, got free AP on the knifes. Possessed got buffed. All the Daemon engines went to 3+ to hit and benefit from the legion trait and got buffed. Most units in the codex got directly buffed.

There was some nerfs, yes, but overall this codex is stronger than the last. If you want to compare it to other factions codexes go ahead, but that literally has nothing to do with how this codex compares to its last...

New Blightlord units are going to look odd: combi-weapons are heavily restricted (that will really hurt for people that hunted down lots of combi-weapon parts), and it's possible to have a build with 2x heavy weapons (1 reaper autocannon or blight launcher per 5, 1x plague spewer per 5) in a minimum sized squad.

The Blightlord loadout change + PM loadout change are pretty much the only changes I"m unhappy with. For new players, these won't be an issue: you just build what's in the box. Bit of a kick for veterans though.

Edited by Marshal Loss

New Blightlord units are going to look odd: combi-weapons are heavily restricted (that will really hurt for people that hunted down lots of combi-weapon parts), and it's possible to have a build with 2x heavy weapons (1 reaper autocannon or blight launcher per 5, 1x plague spewer per 5) in a minimum sized squad.

The Blightlord loadout change + PM loadout change are pretty much the only changes I"m unhappy with. For new players, these won't be an issue: you just build what's in the box. Bit of a kick for veterans though.

I have to look into that. I always ran some small groups of 5 PM with 2 blight launchers. Guess I cant do that anymore haha.

I have to look into that. I always ran some small groups of 5 PM with 2 blight launchers. Guess I cant do that anymore haha.

Yeah I 100% did the same thing - but I also had a big blob of knife marines, and tons with axes, which are basically useless now :(

It's an interesting change, will probably have a big impact on Chaos Space Marines & other armies going forward as well. The age of "you can only use what's in the box" has begun

Yeah I 100% did the same thing - but I also had a big blob of knife marines, and tons with axes, which are basically useless now :sad.:

It's an interesting change, will probably have a big impact on Chaos Space Marines & other armies going forward as well. The age of "you can only use what's in the box" has begun

Gotta' be some exceptions.

*cough* Havocs *cough*

Oh wow wait a min, just looking through some of the stratagems...sooo we can still through grenades at 12"?

The grenades become pistol 6, but still have the plague weapon rule, and we can extend the plague weapons by 6"?

Oh wait, just noticed it looks like its 3 models only...thats just dumb if it is, but still, 18 shots + D6 shots, from 4 guys is not bad.

Cloud of flies costing 4CP for terminators???? golly gee

And VotLW now costing 2CP, urgh dumb

The age of "you can only use what's in the box" has begun

:sick:

I hate these kind of changes. It's a real :censored:  you to veteran players who spent the time and money converting. It also really feels like GW keeps pushing for everyone to have the same stuff, even down to the load outs. Not only that but mixed units with a bit of everything are rarely good, so I think ultimately it will reduce variation, creativity, experimentation and increase cookie cutter builds. That's bad for the game and the players.

On a personal note, all 5 of my Plague Marine squads are built as two of one weapon (with one squad being pure melee). I can ofc accommodate this change by re-organising them, but I really don't want to because it's going to make the squads less unique, less interesting and reduce their viability all at the same time.

Cloud of flies costing 4CP for terminators???? golly gee

It's played at the start of the opponent's shooting phase now, which is a significant buff. It can definitely be used on a unit coming in from reserves now (possibly could before, I'm not sure on the ruling of "during your movement phase" vs "at the end of your movement phase") and allows you to react in the opponents turn when you have more information. I think 4cp is still too much for Terminators, I would have preferred it to be 2/3cp. But at least it's got better.

It's possible also to have an insane amount of special weapons in a PM squad; you could, in a 10 man squad, have e.g. a plasma gun on a champ, 2x blight launchers, a plague spewer, and 2x plasma guns.

So the changes to loadouts hurt PM players who wanted to spam axes or dual knives, and Blightlord players who took lots of combi-weapons, but it's not wholly negative: lots of incentive to take a 10 man squad now.

So rhinos, defilers etc didnt get DR????????????????????????????????

What the actual :censored:. How are people defending this piece of garbage codex.

Oh and none of the daemon engines got core....so when i joking said that 2 bloat drones with heavy blight launchers near a lord with arch contaminator could just about kill a rhino...well not any more

Edited by jgascoine011

It's possible also to have an insane amount of special weapons in a PM squad; you could, in a 10 man squad, have e.g. a plasma gun on a champ, 2x blight launchers, a plague spewer, and 2x plasma guns.

So the changes to loadouts hurt PM players who wanted to spam axes or dual knives, and Blightlord players who took lots of combi-weapons, but it's not wholly negative: lots of incentive to take a 10 man squad now.

7 man or bust! I can't bring myself to take 10, it just feels so wrong.

Even if it's just the melee options for PM that are hurt, it still feels crappy. Melee PM squads were something interesting and new and it'll be a shame if they're restricted to the point you stop seeing them. That said I haven't seen the exact restrictions yet so maybe it's not as bad as I fear. It certainly doesn't sound as bad as the awful Karadron "You must take one of each of these completely different weapons in the squad" debacle.

I like the rest of what I've seen of the Codex though, so I feel positive overall.

So rhinos, defilers etc didnt get DR????????????????????????????????

What the actual :censored:. How are people defending this piece of garbage codex.

Oh and none of the daemon engines got core....so when i joking said that 2 bloat drones with heavy blight launchers near a lord with arch contaminator could just about kill a rhino...well not any more

Dude. For real, like don’t buy the codex if it’s as garbage as you think it is. You’re exhausting with your negativity about a book you haven’t read in its entirety yet nor played with. Go play space marines or a computer game.

Not every rule you get needs to be super powerful or S+ tier competitive. Enough already.

I like what they've done with Mortarion. It now feels like if my opponent puts him on the field that isn't a quarter of their army wasted.

I'll even take it further and say that he's not been over buffed. If it's a model I can target turn one that can never hide, it needs staying power. If it's a model that is the primarch of an entire legion known for their endurance, he better be able to drink baneblade shots as a morning snack.

If I’m reading it correctly, outside what you bring on the champ, you only can have 1 of each weapon per 5 models.

Outside of the Champion, you can have

• 1 Blight Launcher
  • 1 Plague Spewer
  • If 10 man, 1 additional Blight Launcher or Plague Spewer
  • For every 5 models, 1 Plasma/Melta/Belcher

I honestly think this is the best CSM book of any kind since 3.5. It wouldn't be a GW book without there being a handful of ???s, but overall they've done a superb job. A good omen for future CSM codexes.

Amen, brother. That's what I was just telling a friend.  3.5 chaos still beats it out, because damn... That book was the most fun list-crafting I've (and other friends) have had in our entire 40k careers.

But like you said, reading over my friend's copy of the new DG codex this morning, I was getting those "So fluffy, so customizable" vibes like 3.5 had. Obviously not as much, but still enough to feel like it's going in the right direction.

7 man or bust! I can't bring myself to take 10, it just feels so wrong.

Even if it's just the melee options for PM that are hurt, it still feels crappy. Melee PM squads were something interesting and new and it'll be a shame if they're restricted to the point you stop seeing them. That said I haven't seen the exact restrictions yet so maybe it's not as bad as I fear. It certainly doesn't sound as bad as the awful Karadron "You must take one of each of these completely different weapons in the squad" debacle.

I like the rest of what I've seen of the Codex though, so I feel positive overall.

Im just not a GW fan boy praising everything they do even if its a pile of garbage.

Some of the things coming out of people is laughable. Take the plague surgeon, SM does exactly the same thing and nobody takes him for his crappy 6+++, they take him because he can bring back a model, yet youtubers etc are going how amazing he is because he gives a 6+++

Its very frustrating when you pay 100s of £ to play a army because you like how they play and then GW decide to :cuss all over it.

There are 3 things in this codex that are good: Mortarion, +1 wound to marines, and the contagion ability...thats it.

If i had the choice of playing this codex or the old one I would undoutably play the old one.

DR got nerfed, HQs got nerfed, Arch contaminator nerfed, Strats got :cuss all over.

My main opponents are SM (white scars and blood angles), Admech, and chaos. The chaos player has 3 decimators which do mortal wounds, 12W with a 4++. On average they wipe out 10 Blight lord terminators. The admech guy has 5 of those robots which put out a :cuss load of shots. Just how exactly are you supposed to kill them? 

I am all up for being +ve but just what are you seeing that makes you go oh wow thats cool (other than mortarion).

I am seriosly trying to be +ve but every time i look im just like golly gee were GW thinking.

At 1st i thought ok take a LoC with arch contaminator and deepstrike in 10 BL terminators with combi bolters and use the strats for rapid fire 3, plague weapons, hit on 2s, VotLW. with 6s being AP-4...then i realised rapid fire 3 strat has gone. Ok, thats still 40 shots, hitting on 2s, re-rolling 1s, wounding most vehicles on 4s (re-rolling), for an average of 30 wounds, 10 of which are at AP-4, ok i will take that. Oh but then i realised that the AP-4 is for combat only, So in the end, over 500 points kills 5 marines in shooting.  For half the points, i can take a CSM terminator squad, and put out 40 S8 AP-3 D2 shots....and CSM are supposed to be bad lol

@jgascoine011

You are certainly entitled to think this codex is hot garbage, and based on your posting you seem dead set on doing so no matter what evidence others produce to the contrary, but I think you are DEFINITELY missing major strengths of Death Guard beyond "Mortarion, +1 wound for Marine models, and Contagions:"

1 - Plague Marines at 21 points -- So, if you compare them to other Marines, say Intercessors (who cost 20 points), they get T5, Disgustingly Resilient (making it much harder to get through the 2W profile), the option to take a whole myriad of shooting and melee war gear options that Intercessors do not get (i.e. Intercessors can only give a few upgrades to their Sergeant and the option to pick one of three flavors of bolt rifles). If you want to say that Intercessors get Chapter Tactics and Doctrines, well then the Plague Marines get "Inexorable Advance" and the "Nurgle's Gift" Contagion for -1T for nearby enemy, which easily makes them able to compete (or even out compete) many Marine Chapters in both shooting and melee. Bottom line, for 1 point more than an equivalent Intercessor, you a re getting a SIGNIFICANTLY tougher Objective Secured unit that can be kitted to excel in either shooting or melee... you can't really ask more of a Troop unit than this, IMHO.

2 - Plagueburst Crawlers at 165 pints -- With the improved BS 3+ and a flat Dmg2 Plagueburst Mortar, plus Entropy Cannons that now do D3+3 damage and a Rapid Fire 3 Rothail Volley Gun, you have a seriously dangerous vehicle that can play the long range fire support role that a Death Guard army needs. On top of this, there is a new Strat to make the Plagueburst Mortar Dmg3 and do extra MWs on units near whatever it targets.... for 1CP!! You are really down on DG Strats, but bringing a BS3+ S8 attack up to Dmg3, which can target units WITHOUT LINE OF SIGHT, is pretty amazing (just ask our Full Payload Manticore friends from the Astra Militarum).... this gives the ability to take out Plasma Inceptors, Bullgryn, Harlequin Skyweaver Jetbikes, and all kinds of dangerous 3W units even when they are hiding out of LOS. Oh, and I did I mention that the Plagueburst Crawler is still T8 and has a built in 5++... amazing toughness for a primarily fire support tank that only costs 30 points more than a Space Marine Whirlwind (or 40 points more, with dual Entrophy Cannons)

3 - Foetid Bloat-Drone -- This guy with a Fleshmower now puts out 12 x S7 AP-2 Dmg2 melee attacks using its improved WS3+ (don't forget, you opponent will be at -1T, thanks to Contagions), so combined with a 10" base movement and 9W at T7 3+/5++, you have the Deathguard equivalent of a "Heavy Cavalry" unit that can rush around chew up units trying too hold objectives (or just serve as a strong Counter-Assault unit lurking behind your relentlessly advancing line of Plague Marines). Oh, and btw, there is a Strat that let's FBDs Heroically Intervene 6" now... just take in the ramifications of this for a moment or two!

4 - Terminators (both Deathshroud and Blightlord) -- The fact that these guys gained an extra wound (3W base), +1A (always on, in place of the old Hateful Assault), went up to 5" Move, gained the new Disgustingly Resilient (amazing on a 3W profile!), and kept both T5 and their 4++ Invul (for reference, Loyalist Marines lost 4++ on their Cataphractii TDA units) makes them just unreal, far better than the "just gained +1W" credit that you give them. The only think they lost was the old DR 5+++, which is more than compensated for in basically every situation by the 3rd wound. Additionally, they gained a new Stratagem that is basically the DG equivalent of "Fury of the First," allowing them to get +1 to Hit in the Shooting or fight phases for only 1 CP. All of this for just 40 points per Blightlord and 50 points per Deathshroud... compare this to Loyalist Terminators, who are also 38 points a model... for only +2 points per model, Blightlords get T5, reduction of all incoming Dmg by -1, a 4++ Invul (versus a 5++ Invul), 3A base (Loyalist Marines get 3A on the charge only), and the -1T aura from Contagions.... a pretty ridiculous deal if you ask me.

These are just a few examples, I didn't even mention Mortarion and how amazing (and tough to kill) he is now. Bottom line, totally disagree with your assessment that there are only three good things in his Codex and the rest is horrible.

Edited by L30n1d4s

The age of "you can only use what's in the box" has begun

:sick:

I hate these kind of changes. It's a real :censored:  you to veteran players who spent the time and money converting. It also really feels like GW keeps pushing for everyone to have the same stuff, even down to the load outs. Not only that but mixed units with a bit of everything are rarely good, so I think ultimately it will reduce variation, creativity, experimentation and increase cookie cutter builds. That's bad for the game and the players.

On a personal note, all 5 of my Plague Marine squads are built as two of one weapon (with one squad being pure melee). I can ofc accommodate this change by re-organising them, but I really don't want to because it's going to make the squads less unique, less interesting and reduce their viability all at the same time.

I simultaneously agree with that the new load out restrictions are confusing and annoying while having no idea what you're on about.

5 man 2 blight launcher plasma gun sergeant units were the only thing you ever saw and that was only in theory. Plague marines couldn't get more cookie cutter no matter what they did.

They've re-balanced melee plague weapons so they're all worth taking rather than the flail being the only good one. This will not lead to units being more cookie cutter. Melee plague marine squads are still legal and more viable than ever, they just have to actually take stuff other than knives or flails.

I don't like the way they stopped blight launcher spam, (though I do like the nerfing to arch contaminator), but its clear that plague marine options are better balanced now and that will make unit variety more viable.

Even if it's just the melee options for PM that are hurt, it still feels crappy. Melee PM squads were something interesting and new and it'll be a shame if they're restricted to the point you stop seeing them.

For melee its 1 of each option per 5, including paired knives. You also have to have a boltgun to take a sigil/icon. So you can have a 10 man unit with 2 flails, 2 cleavers, 2 knife/axe, 2 knife pairs, champion with power fist, 1 mace/axe and be able to take on just about everything.

Flails are completely different, they just double your attacks (which is 6 for a plague marine since giving up a boltgun for the flail means they still have a knife so get to have 3 attacks for having two melee plague weapons) but you can get their old damage carry over rule on all melee plague weapons with a 2cp stratagem. So cleavers get 3 -1 to hit S8 attacks each dealing 1d6 damage that carries over.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

I'm extremely annoyed about the fact I can no longer take 7 man squads with multiple special weapons like I used to instead having to take 10 man strong squads

I'm extremely confused about the wording tho for all the upgrades though so am I right s

With this

Champion can take a plasma gun, squad can take a blight launcher, can take another if 10man. I can then take an additional plasma gun for every 5 models so ten man would be 2 plasma guns. Does this mean in a 10man squad we can take 3 plasma guns and 2 blight launchers?

Did we just get havoc / chosen loudoutsfor our plague marines?

Edited by Plaguecaster

I'm extremely confused about the wording tho for all the upgrades though so am I right s

With this

Champion can take a plasma gun, squad can take a blight launcher, can take another if 10man. I can then take an additional plasma gun for every 5 models so ten man would be 2 plasma guns. Does this mean in a 10man squad we can take 3 plasma guns and 2 blight launchers?

Yep, that's correct