Possible changes in the new codex.

Gundric

DR always should have been a trait. It was idiotic that it was missing from so many units. Hell, Nurgle possessed marines are inhabited by daemons that have DR, but they still didn’t have it on their sheet. Edited by Azekai

DR always should have been a trait. It was idiotic that it was missing from so many units. Hell, Nurgle possessed marines are inhabited by daemons that have DR, but they still didn’t have it on their sheet.

I can't agree with this enough. I also think every melee weapon should qualify for plague weapon. These guys are covered in Nurgle's blessings so for their melee attacks to somehow not have plagues is just silly. 

DR always should have been a trait. It was idiotic that it was missing from so many units. Hell, Nurgle possessed marines are inhabited by daemons that have DR, but they still didn’t have it on their sheet.

I can't agree with this enough. I also think every melee weapon should qualify for plague weapon. These guys are covered in Nurgle's blessings so for their melee attacks to somehow not have plagues is just silly. 

I think bolters should get it too, that the contagions of nurgle rules could give something like this. Maybe it is a progressive chart, a bit like power from pain but represent the battlefield being contaminated by the presence of our marines, dishing out buffs for Plague marines or nerfs to the opposition. Or maybe a system like the admech canticles. Exciting times.

Edited by Gundric

Boo still 3+ armour.

Silence looks better except losing sweeping attack.

Losing range on lantern also a bit of a bummer but he is tougher.

Much tougher though. STR 4 needs to roll 6s, which is huge. Mortarion was usually whittled down, but can now survive small arms fire much better than previously, as well as forcing a welcome 50/50 roll on STR 8.

I still have some minor hope that he will also get the Max wounds per phase that Ghazkull and Necrons have, but T 8 is already quite big if he keeps the Feel No Pain.

Losing Sweeping attack is indeed a bummer though, maybe he gets something else or maybe it is hidden in a special rule ? I do think he will have several special rules, maybe some changed from what they were. We'll see, but so far I am of the opinion that it is looking exciting.

Edited by Iron Sage

I was looking forward to building and starting to paint my Death Guard army in the new year, but now I'm really looking forward to building and painting my Death Guard army in the new year :lol: :D

Really liking the look of the new stats we've seen so far; I think this army could be quite a fun one to field in this Edition of 40k :)

It definitely hurts a little but it's still one of the best flame weapons in the game, strength 6, -1 AP is far better than Heavy flamers etc. Plus it's currently a plague weapon and likely to stay one (not that we know what that entails just yet)

100%, + the strength doesn't degrade now as the PBC takes damage

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/04/death-guard-release-delayed-in-the-warp/

Delayed until early 2021, might not even be January. Mortarion's datasheet is shown. Scythe still has both profiles. Has has the chapter master like auras now. Some other changes.

Also, notice the 6 warlord traits Mortarion has to choose from. Not one says arch contaminator. New Warlord traits?

Edited by Putrid Choir

Little confused about the Host of Plagues rule. So this model (Morty) can select a Warlord trait in addition to any others it has, even if it is not your Warlord. So does Morty come with another trait listed elsewhere, and this ability gives him a second?

edit: just realised that those 6 traits listed are the ones from War of the Spider (the Plague Company ones), so he gets to select one of those in addition to his other one. Very cool

Edited by Marshal Loss

I notice a distinct lack of a "DMG per phase" cap on Morty's full Datasheet in that article.  Our sweet summer child...

I noticed it as well. He's still going to get eaten alive since terrain won't block him unless you have specialized terrain for him.

I notice a distinct lack of a "DMG per phase" cap on Morty's full Datasheet in that article.  Our sweet summer child...

I noticed it as well. He's still going to get eaten alive since terrain won't block him unless you have specialized terrain for him.

Yup. He was already usually getting savaged by a handful of Lascannons. T8 is good, and will stop eradicators from 3+ wounding him, but Lascannons are still his bane.

Even though they're only 4+, still, the Eradicators, as much a litmus test for "Will it be even semi-decent" in 40k all over, say nay.  I know any game I bring him to, he's got 12 Melta shots with his name on them on turn two that's basically impossible to hide from without having absolute hordes of poxwalkers meandering around table edges.

*sad trombone*

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Yup. He was already usually getting savaged by a handful of Lascannons. T8 is good, and will stop eradicators from 3+ wounding him, but Lascannons are still his bane.

Even though they're only 4+, still, the Eradicators, as much a litmus test for "Will it be even semi-decent" in 40k all over, say nay.  I know any game I bring him to, he's got 12 Melta shots with his name on them on turn two that's basically impossible to hide from without having absolute hordes of poxwalkers meandering around table edges.

*sad trombone*

Pretty much this. He will still get vaporized by turn 2 if you are lucky he can survive turn 1 shooting if you go second. There's not a model in the game that needed the only lose so many wounds per phase rule more than Morty due to his gigantic target size. I had to make my home terrain big enough to hide him behind but not everyone can do that.

Well, if you take the "Gloaming Bloat" WL Trait (from his new Host of Plagues rule), then he basically has permanent Transhuman Physiology, meaning that Lascannon, melts with +1 to wound from Litanies, and any S9+ attacks can only wound him on a 4+ at best... still vulnerable and unkillable, but this goes a long way to helping his durability, I think.