Possible changes in the new codex.

Gundric

Well, if you take the "Gloaming Bloat" WL Trait (from his new Host of Plagues rule), then he basically has permanent Transhuman Physiology, meaning that Lascannon, melts with +1 to wound from Litanies, and any S9+ attacks can only wound him on a 4+ at best... still vulnerable and unkillable, but this goes a long way to helping his durability, I think.

For sure 4+ is better than 3+, but the big man can be seen anywhere.

My group still plays on 6x4' because "screw this lack of maneuverability and positioning", but this means on the new "minimum standard" big Mort's still, if not especially more vulnerable being basically guaranteed to be in range and LoS of all big guns on any turn, most disappointingly when you're going second, and it's turn 1.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

He will likely survive to turn 3 though most likely bracketed once if not twice unless your opponent brought an unholy amount of anti tank. However that leaves you 1510 points of objective grabbing.

I hear ya', math and statistics is all well and good. But the caps on Ghaz and Nightbringer aren't there for the even odds every time you play.

They're there for the times three of 8+ anti-tank (a pretty average number for any army I'd say) gets through all their resistance (misses, failed wounds, saves, etc...), rolls 12+ dmg by spiking high, and suddenly you would've been out a 300pt ghaz or pretty expensive NB. (I feel like the NB is always gunna be a steal based on points and other good rules it gets)

Morty's the same, but even worse, because as has been said, he's fack-off massive., And near 500pts.

You can hide Ghaz or the NB (the latter takes more effort but is doable), not big M. And heaven help you if the opponent gets extrs lucky due to proliferation of rerolls in the game and you've got to contentd with bad rolls on your part leaving you with 4-5 unsaved D6 or D3+3 weapons that rolled high.

Caps are there for those games, when that 500pt centerpiece gets all the bad luck. Morty, NB, or Ghaz would all laugh the same at an opponent who gets two shots through and rolls snake eyes for damage, with or without a cap.

But only morty cries when they get 4+ through and 18+ dmg on him.

He will likely survive to turn 3 though most likely bracketed once if not twice unless your opponent brought an unholy amount of anti tank. However that leaves you 1510 points of objective grabbing.

I hear ya', math and statistics is all well and good. But the caps on Ghaz and Nightbringer aren't there for the even odds every time you play.

They're there for the times three of 8+ anti-tank (a pretty average number for any army I'd say) gets through all their resistance (misses, failed wounds, saves, etc...), rolls 12+ dmg by spiking high, and suddenly you would've been out a 300pt ghaz or pretty expensive NB. (I feel like the NB is always gunna be a steal based on points and other good rules it gets)

Morty's the same, but even worse, because as has been said, he's fack-off massive., And near 500pts.

You can hide Ghaz or the NB (the latter takes more effort but is doable), not big M. And heaven help you if the opponent gets extrs lucky due to proliferation of rerolls in the game and you've got to contentd with bad rolls on your part leaving you with 4-5 unsaved D6 or D3+3 weapons that rolled high.

Caps are there for those games, when thst 500pt centerpiece gets all the bad luck. Morty, NB, or Ghaz would all laugh the same at an opponent who gets two shots through and rolls snake eyes for damage, with or without a cap.

But only morty cries when they get 4+ through and 18+ dmg on him.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Here we go what we all have been waiting for gallery_59703_7255_166837.jpg

Plague Marine rebox stats.

1. Blight Launcher is now flat 2Dam.

2. Flail is now only +1Str.

3. Plaguesword is +1Str.

4. Plague knives and plaguesword are -1AP.

5. Plaguespewer and plague beltcher are 12".

6. Marines are 2W

Really looking forward to running mass plague marines depending on cost

Morty has “Heretic Astartes” as a faction keyword, so with that as part of the army, will that affect our current FW :cuss-up? I haven’t had a chance to check Imperial Armour out yet.

And related to that, “Bubonic Astartes” has a nice ring to it.

Is it just me, or does the Crawler in the free wallpaper have an alternate loadout? It looks like it's carrying a spitter and something else.

You mean the Myphitic Blight Hauler, but yes, it appears to have some kind of spitter/spewer on the left weapon mount. I can't quite make out the right weapon, but it appears to also have a canister of something mounted behind it, so I would guess it's something similar. I love the aesthetic of the human looking face grown across the armoured canopy. I wonder if this is an indication of a multipart version of the kit coming? 

Plague knife rendering -1 ap unexpected and very welcome.

So far, everything has looked promising.  I have not been dejected by a single stat reveal, only worrying that myphitic blight haulers may lose squadron rule, but other than that, it has all been great. Depending on points cost, we could have a very powerful codex in 9th, as we certainly seem to be getting the tools.

I'm curious on how Poxwalkers are affected with this new codex. At the moment they are just too expensive, hell i'd even be happy to downgrade their DR to a 6+ if it meant they were pretty cheap

I expect all our marines will be going up in price so would be nice to have some cheap options likewise with cultists

So, from reading the morty rules in reference to the Contagion of Nurgle, it seems like you pick a type of contagion pre battle, then its effects spread further the longer the game goes, so thematic! The Bubonic astartes keyword might be a hint as to which units spread the contagion. Pretty fluffy! And plague knives being astartes chainswords, minus the bonus attack but with the re-roll 1's is pretty cool. I love the changes, makes plague marines the swiss army knife unit that they should be.

Edited by Gundric

I think saying that blight grenades with nade guy combo will be nerfed into MWs happening only on a natural 6 isn't an overstatement. It would still be ok (it's still a boatload of  2 DMG attacks) but I think we should be looking at other stuff to kill knights with. The attack boost to PMs makes me wonder about a 5 man squad with 2 plague cleavers and a powerfist. That's a potential 52 wounds on a single entity!

I do like the ability to ignore movement modifiers, meaning that while we are slower in general, we can move unhampered through craters, woods and other difficult grounds. This is nice on a proper table that offers plenty of varying terrain, especially in narrative games where you can enjoy properly bombed-out environments.

I think that advance and shoot without penalty was not a good fit for us thematically, the white scars have it for Grandfathers sake! We shall just have to see how the other new rules pan out. 

Edited by Gundric

Not being able to advance + shoot with our blight launchers really hurts. I quite like having unmodifiable movement though.

Isn't what we got significantly better than having to roll 4+ on blight launchers when you advance though ? Arguably being able to use ranged weapons unmodified on war machines in CC is alone better, they got buffed in melee after all (because those H weapons on vehicles tends to have more impact). And when you then add being able to move ordinarily and always rapid fire (something which you may be likely to do in turn 2-5) as well as ignore terrain modifiers (which is certainly nice in tournaments and such, where there are almost always significant terrain).

It appears better to me at least. Of course, bolters are not great, but they still ping off wounds when fired in volume, and we are likely to get a bolter stratagem I imagine. I feel and think that we can't complain about this. Seems to me to be an upgrade overall.

Ewww so our plasma is worse now :/ we get almost constant rapid fire on bolters (wow) and a situational buff to movement. It would be cool plague marines could take heavy bolters or missile lanchers but alas they only have assault or rapid fire guns.

The change to vechicles is ok I guess - but again highly situational. Most of oir vechicles have anti armour guns and it's not like this change is going to help much if they get mobbed by a horde.

Ewww so our plasma is worse now :/ we get almost constant rapid fire on bolters (wow) and a situational buff to movement. It would be cool plague marines could take heavy bolters or missile lanchers but alas they only have assault or rapid fire guns.

The change to vechicles is ok I guess - but again highly situational. Most of oir vechicles have anti armour guns and it's not like this change is going to help much if they get mobbed by a horde.

Everything, including the old rule, was situational though. How many extra wounds would you really deal in an average match up using the old version of Inexorable advance with for instance blight launchers, rolling 3+ instead of 4+? Without attempting to math hammer it, it is probably less than what we surely get when we can rapid fire bolters at 24 inches, and fire multi melta with blight haulers on 3+ if they get stuck in melee (anything that is a danger to them, fears the melta). The most situational ability is the advance without modifiers on terrain, though in tournaments and such, that's pretty good.

I don't know, maybe it is me and I am forgetting something, but all of this comes across as a very nice upgrade overall to me.

Isn't what we got significantly better than having to roll 4+ on blight launchers when you advance though ? Arguably being able to use ranged weapons unmodified on war machines in CC is alone better, they got buffed in melee after all (because those H weapons on vehicles tends to have more impact).

Being able to hit on a 3+ with blight launchers while advancing was a very useful tool for us. Losing that hurts.

I didn't say it wasn't a buff overall - I think you're right and it is. Whether infantry units being hurt is worth the power boost given to vehicles is subjective, especially when we don't have the points yet (we don't know how much we are paying for these vastly improved machines). I got significant mileage out of 18" plasma (particularly on Terminators) and 3+ advancing BLs; neither are as good as they once were, and I don't think the bolter buff is at all equivalent when most of us weren't exactly spamming bolters to begin with. Bolters don't win games and this won't change that. The unmodifiable movement is nice.

I'm not complaining, it's more thematic as Plague Marines sprinting around firing blight launchers never felt super appropriate. Still a noteworthy blow to our two main special weapons though

Edited by Marshal Loss

Isn't what we got significantly better than having to roll 4+ on blight launchers when you advance though ? Arguably being able to use ranged weapons unmodified on war machines in CC is alone better, they got buffed in melee after all (because those H weapons on vehicles tends to have more impact).

Being able to hit on a 3+ with blight launchers while advancing was a very useful tool for us. Losing that hurts.

I didn't say it wasn't a buff overall - I think you're right and it is - but a blow is a blow no matter which way you spin it. Whether infantry units being hurt is worth the power boost given to vehicles is subjective, especially when we don't have the points yet (we don't know how much we are paying for these vastly improved machines). I got significant mileage out of 18" plasma (particularly on Terminators) and 3+ advancing BLs; neither are as good as they once were, and I don't think the bolter buff is at all equivalent. The unmodifiable movement is nice. Either way, this is still a noteworthy blow to the army's two main special weapons. Bolters don't win games and this won't change that.

I'm not complaining, it's more thematic this way anyway

Good points. I did indeed forget about the 18 inch plasma concerning terminators for some inexplicable reason (I use the Blightlords in cheaper configurations myself while my Iron Warriors have loads of combi-weapons on the termies, as my Death Guard is all about holding ground and counter assaulting objectives). And I agree obviously that it is a blow, I just would have chosen the new rule myself if I had the choice between that and the old and think this is overall better, wasn't trying to spin anything, just think this is better overall. But of course, you are right, we need to wait for points and all of that.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the next reveal. So far so good imo.

Edited by Iron Sage