Skorpekh Lord vs Catacomb Command Barge

Get Thokt

As of late, there have been several opinions on which makes a better character to field in terms of their statline and abilities. These two are the Skorpekh Lord (130) and the Catacomb Command Barge (145-185).

On top of what's shown on their datasheet, these characters are also applicable to these recommended Relics:

Skorpekh Lord:

● Nanoscarab Casket

● Veil of Darkness

● The Vanquisher's Mask

● The Sovereign Coronal

Catacomb Command Barge:

● Nanoscarab Casket

● Veil of Darkness

● Voltaic Staff

● Voidreaper

● The Vanquisher's Mask

● The Soverein Coronal

Let's start a debate on which character (along with weargear, relics and traits) you think works best.

Edited by Get Thokt

It's very much a situation of the make up of the rest of your list. If you have a few vehicles and plenty of core units which are designed to do your main work, you're looking at the benefits of a Catacomb Command Barge over the Skorpekh Lord.

He can directly boost the Core units of your army and thanks to being a Noble, as Warlord you get to use the Command Protocols rules.

The Sempiternal Weave jumps out at me for the Catacomb Command Barge, which is relevant if you want to keep it alive longer. If you give this model Eternal Madness and the Voidreaper you have a solid heavy hitter, but then that is mostly relevant if he's accompanying a close combat unit, which would have to be Lychguard if you're looking to benefit a Core unit.

Voltaic Staff is safe and will net a few kills a turn, which is handy.

If you're taking an army with a bunch of Destroyers and intended to get in close and hack folk to death, the Skorpekh Lord can do some serious work for you. Giving him the Eternal Madness Warlord Trait works well if you're looking to kill heavy vehicles and lots of Orks, but thanks to his United in Destruction ability, you don't really need it.

Enduring Will looks good though, since his high toughness and Phase Shifter will protect him somewhat anyway. Relics are quite limited but the Nanoscarab Casket pairs well with that Warlord Trait, whilst also providing additional resilience which is crucial for a character you want on the front line.

So which are fairly different. :)

***note I made a mistake on the Sempiternal Weave. Haven't the Codex to hand dang it.***

Edited by Captain Idaho

I'm certainly looking towards the Command Barge due to its utility and synergy. With the Voltaic staff and Gauss Cannon, he would have great damage output in range and combat (gets to shoot in combat because it is a vehicle).

Sempiternal Weave would not be allowed on CCBs due to it only being for Infatry Nobles. However with Quantum Shielding to only be wounded on 4+, it can certainly look more to its damage buff options such as the Voltaic Staff and Eternal Madness

Edited by Get Thokt

So, despite being a cool model, the Skorpekh Lord is not a great combatant.

You might go, are you crazy!? Well, let's break it down. For this we'll use the CCB and the Skorpekh Lord since they are similar enough in points.

Both have the same number of attacks, both have WS/BS 2. Skorpekh Lord has a dmg3 weapon but the CCB can also get one by taking the voidreaper and that one doesn't have the -1 to hit. CCB is faster and obviously has buff ability where Skorpekh can only re-roll 1s for destroyers? Yay?

So the CCB is an equal or better CC combatant. Shooting wise the CCB gets the gauss or tesla cannon. If you go voltic staff you have a shooting anti-MEQ monster with still great CC. All of which are better than the lackluster gun on the Skorpekh which can't be used in CC, you know, where you want them to be.

For me, there is no reason to ever take a Skorpekh Lord over a CCB.

Totally agree there. To justify his re-roll wound rolls of 1, you'll need 16+ Skorpekh Destroyers within his aura, otherwise it's better to field more Skorpekh Destroyers.

If he instead gave all re-rolls to either hits or wounds, then there might be some good play with him.

Edited by Get Thokt

The CCB may be an auto include. It feels really strong to me.

The S lord is fun. More of a send off on his own adventure and hope he kills/draws things his way.

The thing that really screws the S. lord is the lack of WT and relic support. The good relics and traits I was running him with are either gone or locked to another unit type. The old Novokh reroll wounds WT and the +1T and +1W. I was disappointed when I found out there isn’t one single special relic for it.

Sempiternal Weave is Infantry Noble model only.

Which is a shame, really, because it would be kind of overpowered on a CCB.

If you want to boost the armor save, you might consider taking the Infinity Mantle from Nihilakh, which comes with the added benefit of a 6+ FNP. There's also the Nanoscarab casket for an extra regenned wound per turn. 

Sempiternal Weave is Infantry Noble model only.

Which is a shame, really, because it would be kind of overpowered on a CCB.

If you want to boost the armor save, you might consider taking the Infinity Mantle from Nihilakh, which comes with the added benefit of a 6+ FNP. There's also the Nanoscarab casket for an extra regenned wound per turn.

It's something I never looked at really, because of the Destroyer Cult theme I'm looking for, so soon as I saw Noble I moved on! ;)

As for the Skorpekh Lord, what he does is allow for S8 with reroll 1s at D3. It's handy and means a CCB needs to select both a specific Warlord Trait and Relic to compete. And if you consider your Warlord getting stuck in you're still using an inferior assaulting model because you could have given the Skorpekh Lord a Nanoscarab Casket and Enduring Will to really make him hard to kill.

And he still gets more attacks at light infantry and Reroll 1s to hit.

Sure his down side is hitting on 3s with his most dangerous attack, but that's still really good.

It depends on list composition. If you're making a destroyer cult army, the Destroyer lords are better. If you're making an army dedicated to the Core keyword then the CCB is better. The CCB edges out a Canoptek themed list as it's a vehicle and grants access to protocols.

The biggest leg up the Destroyer Lord has though is strength 8.