Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help me with building a viable all-comers list as a beginner

army list force composition list building

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 767 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Hey, everyone! I recently had my first 40k game in 10 years with 1250 pts (against Black Legion). I lost, of course biggrin.png
I would like to gather some ideas to make an all-comers list for future games. I certainly won't enter into tournaments anytime soon, so it should be just able to win some games, and doesn't have to be super-optimised. I'm also a bit restricted in terms of models and can't afford to make massive investments right now. My collection consists of these:

Characters:

1x oldschool Dreadnought with Assault cannon (could be played as Björn)

1x Ragnar

1x Jump  pack Wolflord/ WGBL with Stormshield+ Thunder Hammer

1x Primaris Wolfpriest

1x Jump pack Wolfpriest with Powerfist

1x Wolflord on Thunderwolf (TH/SS), could played as a regular TWC, of course

1x Jump pack Runepriest

1x Primaris Runepriest

Infantry:

15+ Blood Claws

5x Skyclaws

5x Jumppack Wolfguard

10x Intercessors with ABR

5 x Intercessors with BR

15+ Greyhunters (Melter and Plasma-Options)

15x converted Wulfen

3x TWC

5x Infiltrators

Vehicles

1x Predator (Tri-Las)

1x Rhino

I'm looking to expand the motorpool with at least one razorback in the future

What would you do with this?
My first attempt was this (I borrowed a razorback from my opponent):

Spoiler

and didn't prove to be very effective biggrin.png. Blood Claws are cool though...
Let me know what you think, brothers smile.png

Edited by ranulf the revenant, 24 October 2020 - 11:53 AM.

Your friendly neighbourhood murder husky happy.png.

My humble Space Wolves plog

sml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

TheUnlikelyGamer84

TheUnlikelyGamer84

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
I’ve never been a fan of the predator or Grey hunters( I know heresy). I like the idea of Bjorn with a multi melta as he is now able to take. He wants to be in combat so why not march him toward it in the midfield while melting face without penalty for moving now. Infiltrators or incursors are great especially now with new terrain rules. They can help block out enemy deployment and forward movement, stall them and hold objectives ( think the new smokescreen strat for -1 to hit). I’ve had great success with them. Melta long fangs would be better I feel than the pred. Multi meltas are 2 shots each now And d6+2Dmg at 12”. Putting them in a drop pod or On the Hunt/strategic reserves will be a safe delivery option. I know they are more like Devastators now but we can take 5 heavy weapons and a melta on the pack leaders. So 12 melta shots. Not as cheaply as eradicators but if you’ve been around awhile you would probably be able to proxy them at least with models you already have. Plus they can take a cherub and one guy can shoot twice making it a total of 14 shots. TWC would be a great boon to any list you have as they now advance and charge and were bumped to 4 wounds. Kit them with Claws and shields and they will be great vs infantry and heavy infantry alike. Rerolling wounds for the claws will let you squeeze out wounds on larger targets as well in a pinch. The game has changed quite a bit. Destroying the enemy isn’t the path to victory. Points is the way and using proper terrain ie: obscuring terrain will keep our combat units alive long enough to make combat and push opponents off objectives. Pick secondaries that overlap each other for max points.
  • ranulf the revenant likes this

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 767 posts
Yes, the predator didn't do too much sadly. TWC seem like a good idea. Multimeter Long Fangs you say? Hmmm... Might be worth a shot.
The infiltrators seem to be handy for camping on objectives, but the damage isn't spectacular for the points. So maybe I'll just run more Intercessors in the beginning? I might consider running both infiltrators and incursors (the ignore cover ability looks more useful) at some point though, one squad for the Omni scrambler alone...

Edited by ranulf the revenant, 25 October 2020 - 11:15 AM.

TheUnlikelyGamer84

TheUnlikelyGamer84

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
I actually prefer the incursors to infiltrators. However the infiltrators ability to box out deepstrike can’t be denied. In either case I use them to score points not really to fight. I deal damage from the rest of my army. To me their worth is in their abilities not their weapons.
  • ranulf the revenant likes this

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 767 posts

I'm thinking about including a Lord in Phobos Armour as he has the omni-scrambler ability as well... plus he seems a good option for the Morkai's teeth relic...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: army list, force composition, list building

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users