2k Salamanders Infantry List

AnImA8

So I’m working out the kinks of an all-infantry list. Normally I’m more of a mechanized guy, so this is kind of a new experience for me, and any pointers would be appreciated.

Basically the thought is to have the grav cannons form a shooting base while the aggressors and MM Tacticals push forward with Librarian support. I’m gonna want to outflank the Eradicators (but they don’t have to if it’s not warranted), and the Terminators are going to deep strike in with the Chaplain to clear the way for the Tacticals. If I feel like that shooting base is under serious threat from deep strikers then I’ll probably have the Chapter Master hang out with them to be a beast in CC. Or if that’s not really a concern, I can have him join the forward group.

Gravis Captain: /w Chapter Master, Angel Artifice, and Anvil of Strength: 155 pts

Terminator Chaplain: /w Litany of Faith, and Selfless Saviors: 95 pts

Primaris Librarian: /w Tome of Velcona, Psychic Fortress, Veil of Time, and Fire Shield: 95 pts

Tacticals (5): /w combi-flamer, and multi-melta: 120 pts

Tacticals (5): /w combi-flamer, and multi-melta: 120 pts

Tacticals (5): /w combi-flamer, and grav cannon: 110 pts

Primaris Apothecary: /w Chief Apothecary, and Selfless Healer: 105 pts

Aggressors (6): /w flamestorm gauntlets: 240 pts

Terminators (10): /w 2x heavy flamers, and a teleport homer: 395 pts

Devastators (5): /w combi-flamer, and 4x grav cannons: 140 pts

Devastators (5): /w combi-flamer, and 4x grav cannons: 140 pts

Eradicators (6): /w 2x multi-melta: 260 pts

Total Points: 1975 pts

I think you're gonna have a challenging time trying to slog up the board to the midfield as listed, with the aggressors.  Your gravs trying to lead the way will be hamstrung by the 24" range, and inability to advance and shoot (unless there's a Sally trick I'm missing, which there very well might be). 

Your terminator brick will be fun, with the new strategem for chaplains being able to inspire a litany out of sequence, so that's interesting stuff, might help you reach midboard (connecting back to your footmarching army), but it won't be supportable by striking deep -- meaning a savvy player will account for that.  Don't get baited into a deepstrike you cannot support, that potentially doesn't get you anything substantial.

Edited by Lukoi

For the Gravis Captain, I would drop Anvil of Strength and go for Forge Master and spend a CP to give him Master of the Codex. You're already hitting at S8, so the extra 2S there is going to have a more niche usefulness. Going to T8 is going to do a lot for his durability, however. Master of the Codex should more than pay back the CP spent to take it.

For the Chaplain, I'm not sold on Litany of Faith. It only helps against mortal wound, making it a niche pick. If a FAQ clarifies Commanding Oratory to only work on litanies the Chaplain knows, I would take Canticle of Hate for the charge bonus. If a FAQ clarifies the other way, that you can use the strat to inspire with a litany he doesn't know, I would go with Mantra of Strength so he can contribute if he gets split from the Termie pack. Either way, the base Litany of Hate should be your bread and butter for buffing the Terminators once they're stuck in.

For the Devastators, add Cherubs. 5 points for a one turn grav cannon at BS2+ is definitely worth it.

With your last 15 points, you could tack some lightning claws onto the Tactical Sergeants for a bit of melee punch.

Edit: fixed a bit of sleep deprived grammar

Edited by Medicinal Carrots

@Lukoi: I feel that man, like I said I normally like using a mechanized list of transported infantry, and it’s because I hate the idea of them having to waddle to the objectives lmao. But with Eradicators man, I’m just not comfortable doing it anymore. Do you have any thoughts on how to approach that? Or what to do instead?

I’m glad you appreciate the Terminator brick! I’m pretty excited, and I really appreciate the advice.

@Medicinal Carrots: those are fair points about the captain and the Litany. Bear in mind that my primary opponent is a death guard player so T5 and lots of mortal wounds were my concerns, but I guess I didn’t think about the fact that I do want to work into the comp scene eventually (when work permits lol). I do appreciate the savvy advice though, and especially about the Cherub. I honestly had to take another look at the book because for some reason I thought it just gave another shot, and totally forgot that the dude just fires twice. So hell yea, that’s worth it!

Even with eradicators and other meltas on the board, some method of delivery is key.  I run an all-infantry list myself, but it's RG successor, and RG has the most flexible deepstrike option, so that's how I get around the footslogging challenge to be honest.  

For this list, I'd still seriously consider a 5++ impulsor or two, because the 33% invuln can just flat ignore the hits.  Additionally, while deadly, eradicator damage is swingy.  I'd honestly prefer a flat 3 damage melta rifle over a D6 anyway (and thus lose 0.5 damage "average" for the consistency).  You've got a good chance of getting 2-3 units upboard before losing the transports and once they're in position the rides can do other things (view block, capture OBJ etc) and because they're now a less important to deal with ostensibly, you force the opponent into some minor, additional choices.

@Lukoi: it’s interesting because I always liked hammer/anvil style lists that had a mobile element and a static base, but more recently my concern has been with denying my opponent optimal targets by either picking all infantry or completely mechanized (as much as possible with transported infantry). Do you feel like denying the opponent good targets for their AT or Anti-Infantry guns in list design is important? Or does it matter? Or are Impulsors just that resilient that throwing in 1 or 2 will still get the job done? I’ll need to chew on that one for a bit since we’re not just talking about squeezing in a few upgrades, but rather dropping a unit or two to buy these transports. Especially since now you’re talking about changing tacticals for Intercessors since gravis can’t be transported in Impulsors...

The impulsors are going to get popped. The point is to make it cost the enemy resources to do it, and to protect as much of the sloggers as possible in the meantime.

With no impulsors, everyone is taking longer to get to mid board, and also his high AP shooters have nothing better to shoot at than your high value infantry.

You sacrifice a little bit of grunts, to help ensure more of your more important grunts can get into the fight.

For me, that's deep striking elements in and using Rapid Adsault as a trait to get extra movement on top of protecting units with the DS. I sacrifice other successor trait options, and CP for this.

For you, your movement and protection are coming from the impulsors. You sacrifice some of your 2k points for this.

Just how I see it in terms of resources.