PIXELHAMMER - an oldschool Pixelart gameproject

PeaceCraft

thanks guys!

@Elzender - the pose is so classic i could have drawn it subconsciously :biggrin.: but sure thing, in the future i could surely do every chapter including crimson fists! but for now i am focused on implementing all the animations to the 1st player character to test gameplay before doing options for chapters and what not

@Miek - not yet - probably need to cover more prevalent factions (like chaos and guardsmen) before necrons :smile.: but if this project gets traction - perhaps i'll even make necrons as foes or maybe playable characters too!

@sherrypie - its a hybrid between beat em ups (streets of rage) and run and guns (metal slug). I researched and haven't found anything in this niche - so perhaps i am inventing something new (dodging bullets in Z axis 3D like battletoads and streets of rage instead of just jumping in Y axis 2D like in metal slug).
if you guys found any game that is a shooty beat em up that moves vertically in Z axis (without being jumps) let me know - i'm working in uncharted waters (or it could be my ignorance)

cheers!
i got some updates soon! stay tuned!

Edited by PeaceCraft

update! some dodges going on!
 dodge rolling in Z axis "up" and "down" (the timing still needs some adjustments to be equal both ways)

b2j6rtzzgefm.gif8mlwnxe7flwa.gif

and now is tart working on transitions - but the core animations are finally done

Edited by PeaceCraft

• 1 month later...

Thanks lads!

someone asked a few technical questions on another forum i figured i'd add the answer here: 

game ETA - well, i was hoping a couple of months - maybe april -to release a first prototype to see what people think of the gameplay. Then we work on versions and refine everything and add complexity in later versions of alpha and beta. but it all depends on how far we can program in the next months, i'm churning out artwork at a decent pace but can't answer for the programming part. But remember: this isn't our jobs so we still have to make money and pay those pandemic bills lol baf5f2e54c6b17d5c5d39aecadfa1272.gif i promise to do what i can.
I haven't mentioned much technical gamedesign mechanics cuz this is a modeling wargaming forum and i figured people would be bored to know about the engine and gameplay dev. but since you asked - let me answer a few things : game logic is being done in Unity engine and is 90% ready to start implementing gameplay (skeleton is almost ready to add meat). All your suggestions are covered bro 6d3c0a908a3861135dfaebde91c0ecf6.gif - i plan to make different weapon loadouts, but since this is not a commercial game designed to sell - we are developing considering funfactor and viability as our main concerns (instead of crap like lootboxes 39ea8e0dbfb45dcc6b802cd0e198dba3.gif blargh baf5f2e54c6b17d5c5d39aecadfa1272.gif )- our content logic will be related to development needs - and in this case we considered making different equipable weapon loadouts on the same character but discarded the idea - we realised it would be more convenient to give a variety of gameplay experience when we make each player character have a unique loadout and playstyle associated with different chapters. for example - our second playable character (that i already drew- check out my first post) will be a bloodangel -and the idea is to have him wielding a chainsword and a bolt pistol. He will use a different mechanic from the ultramarine (Ultramarine uses tactical bar and the bloodangel uses a ragebar that will be completely different in feel and gameplay) As for loadouts - just off the top of my head i was thinking: dark angel - power sword and plasma pistol with some kind of overheat risk mechanic - salamander with a flamer, emperor's fist with a power fist, and... well, didn't think much further than that - but don't get too excited just yet - we are currently a 2 man team and there is only so much we can do in a few months.
Also - i will make nobz as minibosses and the final level boss will be a warboss for sure.

I will definately be doing other chapters later - but for now - we need to focus on finishing a working prototype before adding options and embelishments (i learned this the hard way on other games, so trust me on this one).  

After a hyatus with comissions and cyberpunk, i'm baaack

Some animations are needed to give the characters a breather when they are under a lot of pressure, so i decided to add some emote animations to add character to the orkz. And also to avoid just hanging out doing nothing (like always happens in beat em ups while the player is lying down). 

So here we are - two small emotes and one taunt

Smirking giggle 
8mt8ls9837ru.gif

Enthusiastic nod
4h3ednqs1559.gif

Straight up mocking laughter (maybe with a "HAHA" like nelson  from the simpsons)

2s0wdqzk61p6.gif

At this point we are building up the game logic - and the enemy templates for when we start fine tuning the gameplay. The bullets casing already fly in the right direction with cool physics, hitboxes are in, the animation triggers are looking fine, its starrting to look like a game - some more polishing and then we can start working on gameplay.
The Programmer is spending some time setting up a user friendly system so i can change the stats without coding (cuz i'm a coding dummy)

C&C welcome!

Edited by PeaceCraft

Good job on the choppy Ork. Will you make a shooty one next?

Yes, i am finishing some more emotes, then i'm going to make the shootaboy. pretty different animation set from the melee choppas 

for now, i'm gonna make some shouting, waaaghing and overall hooliganesque animations

Fantastic news PC! All sounding superb, and I think the Orks have a slightly cartoony character that's perfect for them!

yeah, the marine is all "tacticool" and professional, but the orks get a lot of funny animations - so they can keep in character as brutal but silly in their own orky way.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on different attacks with varying wind up times and strengths. always a telegraph so people can dodge them (since melee isn't the only form of danger players have to manage - in regular beat em ups usually enemies have a no telegraph quick snap that you only avoid by not sitting there in range or hitting first)

QUICK ATTACK
quick wind up frames (4), low range, low damage

6eiq8mrb40ao.gif

STRONG ATTACK (remade)
slow wind up frames (6+pause), longer range (slide forward) high damage

ttu8smvbmiuc.gif

COMBO ATTACK 
slow wind up frames (7+pause), longer range (move forward), multi attack.

0m5iouryv3rz.gif

Also added a Waaagh emote, cuz orks need to WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

iu5v3dwziw9m.gif

C&C welcome

• 3 weeks later...

thanks lads! waaagh is coming along nicely

started making diagonal attacks now 
stabby stab
ecjwoyuk00sw.gif

chop!
f7b14kfclmfl.gif

we are halfway done with the game implementation and will soon be doing the AI. when we get the AI working, we will prototype it and set up a discord server so people interested in gamedesign can see the project upclose.

C&C welcome guys!

• 4 weeks later...

This is really awesome! Excited to see this come to fruition, but the pixel art done is praiseworthy already. My favorite chapter is the Fists, but I'm perfectly content with Ultramarines at launch; gotta start from somewhere!

Though I do have a recommendation for the Imperial Fist's loadout and maybe a Black Templar; the Imperial Fist, though the Power Fist might be pretty fitting, I was thinking maybe a Stalker Bolter considering the Sons of Dorn pride themselves on their marksmanship. Whipping it out and firing would probably be a slow but weighty process, same for the Power Fist, meaning an Imperial Fist player has to think about their positioning and maybe cover if its a mechanic when attacking, so they don't leave themselves out in the open as they'll have little time to react. Maybe his bar could be some defensive ability, where when spent he becomes more durable, immune to being knocked down or back, or even uses some sort of cover ala some of Halo 3's equipment.

On the opposite spectrum, maybe the Templar would be exclusively melee, with a power sword and combat shield. His faith bar could make him move faster and swing harder, at the cost of defense (like a blind rush, if it hits that enemy will feel it, but if that enemy hits him before he hits the enemy, then he'll feel the pain).

Just friendly suggestions, to be honest I'd take a Ultramarine vs Orks game just fine.

• 2 months later...
@Bruce Malcom: Nice ideas! i'm writing everything y'all suggest down and when convenient i will add characters and features , but that's a far future - i love all the suggestions but trying to cram all of them in before getting the basics done is just plain inefficient, so for now they will have to wait! i am starting with the basic bro ultrasmurf but for prototype 1.1 i'll add a second dude. the 2 selectable characters planned will be the average joe vanilla ultramarine (bolter and combat knife) and the melee focused blood angel (chainsword and bolt pistol) 
@nomadpainting: yes  i would bro, PM me if ya still interested! 

After a 4month hiatus to finish other projects and work we got some time to get back on the saddle.
So, here we go a new character! 

Presenting: Shootaboy, for all your dakka needs
bcicgn6ijg99.gif
hy814xb7qlg4.gif

went for an old school goff/bloodaxe vibe, made the shoota proportional to the bolter (size measured from actual model bits lol).
things should be getting heated on this project once again

i'm currently working on mechanics and specific game concepts different from regular beat em ups. it's shaping up to be quite unique in the beat em up  mixed with lotsa dakka :biggrin.:

C&C welcome
Edited by PeaceCraft