PIXELHAMMER - an oldschool Pixelart gameproject

PeaceCraft

Lookin' good, mekboy! I wonda' who'z up next afta' dez normie boyz. Burna boyz would do pretty good against dem choppa-crazed humies. Den again, two choppas would do gud too!

But really, you're doing good. Your animations are quite impressive and I hope we get to see this in a playable state eventually, though you'd be totally fine just leaving it at the impressive pixel art.

Excellent work! You must promise to shout loud and wide on all relevant websites you can think of when this is finished, including all Warhammer subreddits, Facebook groups and hobby forums. Remember that there are a good number of 40k fans on Warhammer fantasy forums, and all of them have an off-topic or 40k section.

Pixel art can also be posted in Imaginary Warhammer in Reddit.

Lookin' good, mekboy! I wonda' who'z up next afta' dez normie boyz. Burna boyz would do pretty good against dem choppa-crazed humies. Den again, two choppas would do gud too!

My suggestion: the "Khorne Berserker doing the Axe Gang dance from Kung Fu Hustle," image in the Bolter to Kokoro gallery:

d13f3ef334cdb6497a9d97ef2400b1f1edcf25a9

But really, you're doing good. Your animations are quite impressive and I hope we get to see this in a playable state eventually, though you'd be totally fine just leaving it at the impressive pixel art.

I second this. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

thanks! considering the gameplay i want to convey - it would likely be either an ard boy or a nob. i have thought of many other types of orks to add, but some function a similar role to others so i need the different mechanics represented. as a sneak peak/ ideas of what i'm thinking: 

-'Ard boy would serve as mobile cover. i invented a armour system to convey the 40k feel of armour saves (still need top implement and test)- to differentiate Tshirt saves, power armour and termy armour. the ard boy would represent this by walking ahead of mobs and tanking bullets-much like the shield guy from metal slug (mitigating the incompatibility of metal slug gameplay and beat em ups -walls of player fired bullets cutting down everything instantly on the screen with the beat em up gameplay focused on managing these mobs of badguys surrounding you up close to exchange punches)

-Nob would be a quintessential mechanic that leaders and maybe banners will make orks be more aggresive. the main thing i thought about is to have orks have a waaagh meter that determines how aggressively they behave. you have to try to manage these waaagh buffers so the mobs become more managable.

burnas, lootas function a similar role to shootas in zoning the map so i would leave these for later

When the ork shoots, you should have sound bite of the ork shouting 'dakka dakka'

Keep up the great work! All the pixel art reminds me of playing C-Dogs back in the day. Awesome game.

hehe i actually thought of adding little cartoony words over the sprites as they talk with the player but have to test if it breaks too much from 40k - it is cartoony proportions and not meant to be hyper grimdark but i don't know if i'm going full cartoony kingdom rush vibes. dunno, gotta test yet :biggrin.:

Excellent work! You must promise to shout loud and wide on all relevant websites you can think of when this is finished, including all Warhammer subreddits, Facebook groups and hobby forums. Remember that there are a good number of 40k fans on Warhammer fantasy forums, and all of them have an off-topic or 40k section.

Pixel art can also be posted in Imaginary Warhammer in Reddit.

oh i will , thank you! i am just waiting the prototype to get done so we can start testing it on itch.io. still need to implement stuff and make the AI state machine to see how it all behaves

Edited by PeaceCraft

My suggestion: the "Khorne Berserker doing the Axe Gang dance from Kung Fu Hustle," image in the Bolter to Kokoro gallery:

d13f3ef334cdb6497a9d97ef2400b1f1edcf25a9

I second this.

ooh, i already thought about chaos marines :D khorne berzerker has an angry meter that needs to be filled with acts of violence :D 

...but as i stated previously - i cant implement every cool idea upfront  - i have to start with bare bones mary sue vanilla marine then add all the fun little nuggets in, get the game actually working before polishing and adding content :yes:

here we go - space marine finally gets special move. i needed a 360 attack to wave clear around him when getting surrounded. (a common mechanic in beat em ups)

I didn't want to do a martial artsy street fighter whirlwind kick or whirlwind knife cuz it would feel too kung fu and not soldier enough.

So i spent a loong time trying to figure out what could be a 360 attack with marine-esque moves... and this is what i came up with - a quick combo thats not particularly fancy - other than the knife twirl in the end iduring the animation recover phase. |Tried to make his speed in execution tempo just be badass superhuman rambo soldier to convey the power of the move.

1-Knife slash (hit both sides)

2-uppercut bolter (hit forward)

3-Kick (strong knockdown push forward)

4-Knife backslash (strong knockdown push backward)

man, i am quite proud of this badboy  =)

zlvh6amz0a9y.gif

oh - he pushes off the enemy but it would be a pain to program a separate animation in case you dont hit anyone with the kick, so a little suspension of disbelief there :P hehe call it artistic license :D 

C&C welcome

Excellent work on Battle-brother Neo.

hahahaha brother neo has fancy moves! but i'll keep the REALLY fancy moves for maybe the swordsmanship duel characters - emperors children and eldars or something. who knows what the future holds :biggrin.:

managed to churn out the shoota getting smacked in the gob

go3e6bgrx9z6.gif

hkgldnc4b1hx.gif

kixplnmw02kz.gif

Edited by PeaceCraft

• 1 month later...

Slight update:
finished all the animations and sprites and visual assets necessary for the prototype and i'm quite happy with them - but programing the actual game is going super slow. the programmer is very busy with real life (2 jobs+ new kids) so i am currently polishing my programing knowledge with videos, tutorials  studying C# and visual scripting while trying to program the game's AI. I feel like a toddler  learning to walk trying to compete in a marathon :biggrin.:. I know my design stuff quite well but for programing i'm learning the basics and right now it falls on me to try to start developing a AI state machine, and it has been a STRUGGLE. every single step crashes the whole thing and i'm stuck for hours searching forums and youtube for simple answers that a real programmer can fix with a snap of fingers. So i managed to convince a second friend (who also has limited time) to maybe hop in and help with coding the AI -so hopefully we can get the first prototype soon -
So far every single prediction i have given for a prototype failed - much like George R.R.Martin, so i'll not speculate on a date for playtesting anymore - cuz unfortunately it's not up to me.

but fingers crossed we can get playtesting done soon! aaah i hate coding

• 2 months later...