The Black Psalm (WIP) + [LASC 2021]

Zebulon

So, almost exactly three years ago I saw this thread:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/340412-collaborative-warband-creation-project/?fromsearch=1

Wherein I stated that I liked the idea of The Black Psalm, but another warband was chosen for development. Bitterness did not grip my heart, but in the back of my mind, the seeds of a sour fruit began to ferment!

So here we are. I have thought on this more off than on, but I will start with these meagre offerings, poking around the edges of the merest breadcrumbs offered by canon, and with modest additions and inspiration of my own. C&C very welcome.

———

“The Illustrians, they called us... noble, shining, far-famed scions of the Emperor’s loins. Such hubris could never go unpunished. First, there came the storms, the misdirection, the howling of the vengeful Dionys. Then came the trial, the condemnation, the decree of the perjurer Basillius. Then, the horrors of the Eye of Terror! We never had a chance.”

- Unknown member of the Illustrians, diary fragment, circa 321.M37

———

“We have learnt a new faith, and a new creed, more ancient than the false Emperor, more true than the Imperium. More potent than the lies of the Ecclesiarchy; more irresistible than the pull of the Warp. Hear me now, brothers and serfs. Hear me and repeat as I have taught you:

Lord Khorne, I have slain day and night in thy name.

Incline thy ear unto my call!

My soul is steeped in blood, and I have sent so many to their grave.

I am counted with them that go down unto the pit of battle; I am as a man who has spent his strength in carnage.

Free amongst the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou remember no more, and their skulls adorn thy throne.

Through thy power I am risen from the deepest pit, from darkness, from the depths.

Thy wrath flows thick within my veins, thou hast made me an abomination unto them.

Will thou show thine wonders to the dead, and shall they rise and praise thee?

Shall thy favour be shown in the grave, or thy faithfulness in Abaddon?

I am afflicted and have been ready since rebirth to die for thy glory. Thy fierce wrath comes over me; friends thou hast put far from me, and my acquaintances cast unto darkness.”

- Testament of Barukh the Choirmaster, Dark Apostle of the Black Psalm Warband

Edited by Zebulon

Thank you, Brother L. I will work on some more narrative, but for now here is some information which could form the basis of the emerging Index Traitoris article. It may need refining, but it sounds true to the theme I am developing I hope:

Organisation

The Black Psalm are a rabble of berserkers, thrill-seekers, fanatics, noise-thralls and a seemingly endless meat grinder of cultists. They are led by a small command group consisting of the contradictory characters of the charismatic Barukh, the taciturn Khairemon, the raging Immeghar and the mysterious Maï Q’ura

Combat Doctrine

In common with so many of those warbands who put their faith first and foremost in Khorne, the Black Psalm care little for the fate of their cultists, whom they recruit with their rhetoric, or enslave with their might. Before each battle, these wretches are whipped to a frenzy by Barukh’s words and the screeching, wailing wall of noise created by the warband’s small but skilled cadre of noise marines. As the speeches and the strange, tumultuous music reaches their crescendo, the cultists are driven toward the enemy, pursued by the berserkers who will slay their own rather than be forced to slow their charge. Immeghar leads this line, his custom flame weapon scorching all who stand before him, blackening the armour of foe and friend alike.

Once the first rank of cultists and berserkers are engaged in battle, next the fanatical Choirists begin their slow and steady advance, led by Barukh, chanting their vile and twisted dirges of war, striking fear into the enemy with note and bolt, with bay and blade.

Next, Khairemon comes to round up those who flee. Many would choose a quick death, rather than be captured and await his merciless axe, which he swings cavalierly, but without a sign of the inner joy it brings him, to sever and to maim the bodies of his victims, before finally taking their heads as a prize.

Overseeing all, the mysterious Maï Q’ura. They watch the battle from on high, stirring up strange magicks and eldritch storms, so that the rivers of blood burst from their channels, the better to seek the attention and favour of Lord Khorne.

I have been putting a little effort into considering the character of my... characters. I have specific minis in mind for three of the four warband leaders, and will post the GW pics here to identify them (my versions will follow in the Forge in due course...)

The purpose of this post is to flesh out the character of Immeghar the Immolator:

MAHm1mP.jpg

Immeghar

- Is NOT a marine, but an abhuman of great size and strength.

- Is aware that he cannot and will not become a marine, and this bitter knowledge has driven him to hate them all.

- Has no feeling of comradeship with the berserkers he leads; sees them as mere tools of his trade

- Has been told by Khorne in multiple visions that if he kills enough of the Emperor’s men, that he may yet ascend to daemonhood. Then he will lead this warband!

- Can be manipulated by Barukh, is unsettled by Mai Q’ura and has grudging respect for Khairemon.

3l8haiI.jpg

Khairemon

- Was once one of the best swordsmen among The Illustrians.

- Changed from swords to axes after seeing most of his erstwhile comrades die fighting against Bloodthirsters, their swords and chainswords simply bouncing off the daemons’ scaly flesh.

- His axe is also a mark of respect towards those same Bloodthirsters, as the axe is an iconic weapon of Khorne’s chosen.

- However, his quiet joy in the maiming and killing of his victims risks his being cast out by Khorne in favour of Slaanesh, who has noted with approval Khairemon’s particular bloodlust and enjoyment of bringing pain.

- Is a long-standing companion of Barukh, is suspicious of Mai Q’ura and respects Immeghar.

Any comments on any of these posts would be really appreciated; I haven’t tried writing Chaos before so I am not as aware of the pitfalls and cliches. Also I am very open to suggestions and ideas.

I am not sure which of these three models to convert for Maï Q’ura. I want them to be an androgynous and mysterious sorceror.

The GSC is the least likely I think, though she is a cool model. Possibly not chaosy enough without lots of greenstuffing.

Nv8HEDy.jpg

The daemon I like but would probably prefer a more human form (not totally feeling the three left arms). However, they are possibly the most appropriate model to my mysterious sorceror archetype

ubxoBxY.jpg

The inquisitrix has the most appropriate armour but obviously I’d swap out the shuriken weapon and the (?) baby dragon (?) is a bit cutesy.

hwP0sMb.jpg

What do people think?

A good start. Any thoughts about colours or symbol?

Do you have any ideas about their culture and/or relationship to other Chaos groups?

The inquisitrix has the most appropriate armour but obviously I’d swap out the shuriken weapon and the (?) baby dragon (?) is a bit cutesy.
hwP0sMb.jpg

What do people think?

Why swap out the shuriken weapon? Since they are no longer of the Imperium so should they have no problem with using xeno-weapons after all.

A good start. Any thoughts about colours or symbol?

Do you have any ideas about their culture and/or relationship to other Chaos groups?

Why swap out the shuriken weapon? Since they are no longer of the Imperium so should they have no problem with using xeno-weapons after all.

Hi Gamiel, thanks for your response.

I was thinking a classic black and gold/brass Khornate scheme initially, but I am starting to consider some pinks and purples for a more Slaaneshi vibe. I am not sure about the symbol, maybe an open-jawed skull to denote singing/screaming.

I had imagined them to have links/allegiance with Abaddon and the Black Legion as fellow travellers and allies of convenience, but beyond that not really.

My thinking was that despite falling to Chaos they are still marines and might therefore still despise xeno-technology; daemon weaponry on the other hand would be fine! Also if that character is to be a sorceror some kind of stave would be more appropriate I think. Thank you for that opportunity to think/talk through that aspect.

Glad to be of help :smile.:

Regarding colours, I would suggest actually testing if using purple/pink as the secondary colour to black (instead of using brass/gold) works and if it do go with it. It would be look that I think others have not used. Something you also could do is to have the armour covered in writings. Alternative something you could do is to have their armour in a different colour than black but have lots of scrolls made out of black paper hanging from their armour and wargear to represent the "black psalms".

EDIT:

Forgot to ad that I like the idea about a CSM that still follow some of the Imperial belifes. Do you have any ideas about other traditions/things from their Illustrians days that they have keept?

Another idea that just come over me regarding colours if you go with the black and gold combo: A Chapter called "the Illustrians" feels like one that could have gold as their main armour colour, maybe the CSM members of the warband just painted over their gold armour with black but the gold can still be seen here and there

Edited by Gamiel

I like the idea of the berserkers having their armour scorched black from getting too close to Immeghar’s custom flamer... so yes maybe a lighter colour/colours with black dry bushed over.

After coming across the name when they wrote about the ill-fated (or blessed, depending on your stance with the eight-fold path ;) ) Abyssal Crusade, the name of the Black Psalm warband really caught my attention. Might be due to my old Cathedral Choir days as a young lad.

You've started a really interesting baseline with the countering personalities of the main three that control (or should that be conduct?) the warband, although the push towards Khorne was unexpected, but it works out very nicely to befit their usage of cultists and such.

Something to note, a a choir member is usually referred to as a chorister and choristers in plural. You could have a bit of fun using some old musical terms for names and set ups, but be careful not to one-trick the warband in doing so.

Is there anything to add from their old histories as the Illustrians, or rivalries/blood-feuds as a result of their fall and new exploits and actions?

Cambrius

Something to note, a a choir member is usually referred to as a chorister and choristers in plural. You could have a bit of fun using some old musical terms for names and set ups, but be careful not to one-trick the warband in doing so.

To continue with this, maybe the warband is devided in choirs instead of squads or companies.

If you really want to go with a music theme would I suggest using the Exorcist tank as a count-as-a-Chaos-tank. Maybe with a Marine instead of a sister at the keyboard

Is there anything to add from their old histories as the Illustrians, or rivalries/blood-feuds as a result of their fall and new exploits and actions?

Was wondering the same thing

Edited by Gamiel

Cambrius, thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I too was a songstrel in my salad days... the Black Psalm also made me think of doleful monks and Gregorian chant, and all that sort of thing.

I am thinking of a total of four main leaders, but I haven’t written up Barukh in greater detail as yet. He is the Dark Apostle and probably the true leader of the warband as he manipulates all others with his low cunning and his lofty rhetoric.

I think Khorne is the most appropriate affiliation for the warband; there are some decidedly Slaaneshi elements but I am keener on the warband character being the unbound, baying slaughter-mob as opposed to the following the perverted, sadistic Slaanesh. But some of them do take undue pleasure in their carnage. There is a tension to be explored there. I am not particularly drawn to Tzeentch or Nurgle - sorcery has its appeal, but not so much the cartoonish “horrors” and I have never really seen the appeal of pestilence (notwithstanding the superlative work of the likes of Rednekkboss)

I am interested in using choral and musical terminology without as you say over-theming or overusing that theme.

I have recently found a notebook I had mislaid so hope to speak more of the fall of the Illustrians and comparisons between what they were and what they have become. I had some lines of research to follow up.

Gamiel - a Chaotic Exorcist is an excellent idea! Though, another candidate for “coolest thing I ever saw” is this:

K92ocJf.jpg

(Source: Warzone Studios, I think whoever made it put a speaker inside the Land Raider!)

Gamiel - a Chaotic Exorcist is an excellent idea! Though, another candidate for “coolest thing I ever saw” is this:

K92ocJf.jpg

(Source: Warzone Studios, I think whoever made it put a speaker inside the Land Raider!)

Cool.

The question is: is the marine being eaten or is he riding the soundwaves from the mega speaker?

Cool.

The question is: is the marine being eaten or is he riding the soundwaves from the mega speaker?

Knowing Chaos, probably both.

Some excellent responses and reasonings too, Zebulon! I'm looking forwards to seeing what you have planned with their fall and ties from their Illustrian days. Key thing to keep in mind, however is that the Black Psalm were previously the Illustrians. Not who they are now, so the focus should be on the Choristers of Chaos. ;)

Cambrius

LzXWLWU.jpg

Barukh

- Has always had a way with words

- Became a Junior Chaplain among the Illustrians before falling to Chaos

- Has composed a thousand hymns of praise and psalms dedicated to the glory of Khorne

- Sees savage beauty in the cacophony he creates with his dark lyrics and disharmonies and discordant instrumentation

- Understands the power of this daemon-given gift to ensnare and control the warband, from fellow leaders to the lowliest cultist.

- Is close to Khairemon, is wary of Maï Q’ura and has contempt for Immeghar.

?

Maï Q’ura

- Shrouded in mystery

- Most of the warband unaware if they are even male or female, or even human

- A relatively recent arrival to the warband, and something of an outsider

- Has only achieved their position of power due to their obvious and undoubted skills in sorcery, which are lacking elsewhere within the warband

- Has little time for or interest in Khairemon or Immeghar, but has a lot of respect for Barukh.

LzXWLWU.jpg

Barukh

- Has always had a way with words

- Became a Junior Chaplain among the Illustrians before falling to Chaos

- Has composed a thousand hymns of praise and psalms dedicated to the glory of Khorne

- Sees savage beauty in the cacophony he creates with his dark lyrics and disharmonies and discordant instrumentation

- Understands the power of this daemon-given gift to ensnare and control the warband, from fellow leaders to the lowliest cultist.

- Is close to Khairemon, is wary of Maï Q’ura and has contempt for Immeghar.

Suggest using a Sister Dialogus figure as one of his Dark Disciples

?

Maï Q’ura

- Shrouded in mystery

- Most of the warband unaware if they are even male or female, or even human

- A relatively recent arrival to the warband, and something of an outsider

- Has only achieved their position of power due to their obvious and undoubted skills in sorcery, which are lacking elsewhere within the warband

- Has little time for or interest in Khairemon or Immeghar, but has a lot of respect for Barukh.

Suggest using a Delaque ganger but give it something that hides its face. Or one of AoS chaos sorcerers/wizards

Edited by Gamiel

Suggest using a Sister Dialogus figure as one of his Dark Disciples

Suggest using a Delaque ganger but give it something that hides its face. Or one of AoS chaos sorcerers/wizards

Good calls - very tempting to use a corrupted Dialogus.

I think I have some hooded wood elf heads - Wyldwood Rangers or somesuch? They might work for hiding the facial features.

Appertaining to the Fall...

...The Abyssal Crusade had turned out to be a disaster from the very beginning. Set upon by daemons and the fallen legions as soon as they entered the Eye, the allied fleet was quickly torn asunder, many ships blown to smithereens, many men cut to shreds or sent spiralling into the nether darkness.

Ubi tu, Domine Meus?

As the surviving Illustrians fled further into the Eye of Terror, their surviving officers took stock of all that had befallen them. As far as they knew, the Emperor had forsaken them, the Ecclesiarchy had cast them out, and now the numberless hordes of the Dark Gods were threatening them with extinction. They had committed no crime, were without sin or taint - and yet they found themselves embroiled in the wretched maw of hell itself.

cum venerunt judicare sacris per ignem

Seeking refuge, the remnants of the Illustrians made planetfall on an asteroid, which appeared from sensors to be uninhabited. There, deep within the caves, they held a mass council, and considered their options. Some said that they should fulfil their oath, attack the nearest bastion of Chaos they could find, and die as heroes.

qui portabant peccata mundi

Barukh, however, sat quietly as these discussions took place. Chanting, distant at first but growing ever louder, filled his ears, his mind, his soul. The messengers of the Dark Gods were calling him, hailing him. Flattering and cajoling him, they caressed his ego and burned him with jibes at his pride. As they repeated their chants to him, over and over, he sprang to his feet, and silenced all the others.

audite verbum Domini

“Enough!” He fulminated, rage coursing through his veins, the Dark Gods’ gifts granting him power and eloquence to do their bidding.

“There is only one logical solution! Ally with the Dark Gods! Win their favour! Win their powers! Win survival. Win glory! Win all that has unjustly been taken from us! DEATH TO THE IMPERIUM! DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!”

Magnus autem fletus erat et stridor dentium

With that, he seized up a blade, and running behind the nearest officer who had expressed loyalty to the Imperium, he slit his throat. Much blood flowed. As it did, and before any of the others could react to this sudden outburst, a daemonic apparition emerged from the dying Astartes’ severed neck.

testis mortalis, haec triumphi

“YOU HAVE DONE WELL, BARUKH!” It intoned, its voice now clear to all who were present. “ALL OF YOU, KNEEL! ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR NEW LEADER! I ADDRESS YOU IN THE NAME OF LORD KHORNE, WHO WORKS THROUGH THIS MORTAL TO SHOW YOU HIS PURPOSE!”

Unda fluxit et sanguine

There was a stunned silence. Then, uproar! Some flew to Barukh’s side, heeding his call and the words of the daemon. Others took arms against him, and were slaughtered in their turn. When the bloodbath abated, there was less than a single company of men remaining with Barukh. Dark laughter rang out from the caves.

in nomine domini

“GOOD. GOOD! NOW GO BACK TO YOUR SHIP. BRING MY MASTER’S TRUTH TO YOUR SERFS. GO FORTH! MULTIPLY! SPREAD LORD KHORNE’S GLORY. SHED BLOOD, ALWAYS SHED COPIOUS BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!”

nemo superesse

Thus it was that the Illustrians first heard and embraced The Black Psalm.

Edited by Zebulon

Any comments on the above? Anything people like or don’t like or think could be done better? All constructive feedback will be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, here is another of Barukh’s dark psalms; the perceptive amongst you will recognise it as a translation of the “gothic” interjections from the story above...

Where are you, my Lord?

When they came to judge the sacred through fire, those who were carrying the sins of the earth,

O, listen to the word of our Lord!

But great was the wailing and gnashing of teeth; witness, mortal, this triumph!

Waves flowed even with blood; in the name of our Lord, let none survive!

Okay, in terms of colours I am thinking possibly something like this:

k7CigvL.jpg

My thinking is that this treads the line between an overtly Khornate and a Slaaneshi theme, works with the idea of their upper armour being scorched by flames, and also with the brighter lower parts gives a nod back to being Illustrians.

My only concern is that a gaudy, Slaaneshi theme was not what I initially wanted - rather something grim and purposeful, more influenced by the drab Gregorian monks and less glam rock. However, perhaps this is an inevitable consequence of when the fluff starts to take on a life of its own. I do not have a firm and fixed, finished plan but am stumbling blindly into the embrace of the dark gods, as are my marines...