Engine Kill - Magaera & Styrix

These are interesting, and I agree they've managed to make them different to standard Questoris. They seem massively better, basically. I think the Styrix is probably more powerful than the Magaera, mainly thanks to that concussive thing. That's exceptionally powerful against other knights and funny against titans. The Styrix also has the best void shield-breaker out there, though its range is unfortunately short.

I'm less convinced by the Magaera. S5 blasts are fairly useful and I suppose they could be a vaguely useful unit for coordinated strikes.

Not sure their claws should get two attacks. S6 and rending is different and interesting, but a second attack makes them seriously powerful compared to the normal guys.

I look forward to seeing the terminal for these guys. They could potentially be very strong, I think. If they have a better command value than Questoris they might do great work. 

Edited by Mandragola

Their characteristics are said to be the same per the article, so I wouldn't expect them to have better Command. The second attack is nice, but it all comes down to points values in that regard.

We also don't know the range of said Concussive gun, which is the little thing on their carapace. Could well be something very short ranged, putting them out there in the enemy's face where Knights tend to get vaporized by big guns. Could also be something absurdly funny, like 3", which would then often cause the shaken titans to stumble on top of the knights :D

I definitely dont like a rifle calibre gun twisting Warlords about... Its like anti vesimilitude :D  Id rather the Lightning gun wasnt randomly blast too but then the Styrix just seems much more useful.

Irrelevant anyway as FB confirmed they are resin so its super unlikely ill buy any :( 

The upper thighs and hips have additional detailing absent on the plastic questoris knights so I'd say they look to be full resin

In terms of rules, I'm kinda hoping the Styrix & Megaera have a lower Weapon Skill and Speed to their Questoris counterparts, given in 30k they have a lower Initiative and to balance out their improved survivability & damage output

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

You are right, it seems it is now confirmed on FB they will be 100% resin. Edit: As reported by Captain Taelos here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/367283-at-knight-time-magaera-and-styrix/?p=5623379

Bracing for the price shock ... I'll probably get some anyway at some point. Many less than if my plastic Mechanicum knight battleforce theory had turned correct.

Edited by Mendi Warrior

You are right, it seems it is now confirmed on FB they will be 100% resin. Edit: As reported by Captain Taelos here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/367283-at-knight-time-magaera-and-styrix/?p=5623379

Bracing for the price shock ... I'll probably get some anyway at some point. Many less than if my plastic Mechanicum knight battleforce theory had turned correct.

rOr confirmed earlier by me in this thread from the same source :D 

Interesting that they went to such effort to distinguish these from the regular questoris knights, these do appear pretty tough. The volkite gun being like that is a bit of a surprise, I was expecting something of an infantry killer, closer to the avenger. It kind of is between the avenger and the battle cannon but that voidbreaker rule makes the difference. Concussive's a particular surprise as well, presumably that'll be very short ranged?

RE: being entirely resin, that's genuinely unfortunate for those who are really into their knights and particularly these cute little monsters but this does presumably leave a slot in the plastic design/release schedule for something else.

Edited by Sandlemad

rOr confirmed earlier by me in this thread from the same source :biggrin.:

Yes, you are right, I am so sorry :facepalm: . I was so focused on the 100% resin and being totally disappointed by this.

Interesting that they went to such effort to distinguish these from the regular questoris knights, these do appear pretty tough. The volkite gun being like that is a bit of a surprise, I was expecting something of an infantry killer, closer to the avenger. It kind of is between the avenger and the battle cannon but that voidbreaker rule makes the difference. Concussive's a particular surprise as well, presumably that'll be very short ranged?

RE: being entirely resin, that's genuinely unfortunate for those who are really into their knights and particularly these cute little monsters but this does presumably leave a slot in the plastic design/release schedule for something else.

I wonder if the voidbreaker rationale is based off how deflagrate works, maybe with the thermal transfer putting stress on the reactor/ voids 

I wonder if the voidbreaker rationale is based off how deflagrate works, maybe with the thermal transfer putting stress on the reactor/ voids 

Makes sense. If they ever do a titan-scale volkite weapon (were there murmurings about this a while ago, maybe at a seminar?) seems like it'll be pretty formidable.

I hope voidbreaker doesn’t literally double hits as the WHC article suggests. And as others have said, a lot depends on the ranges of other abilities and their costs. The grav thing should probably do something like the meltagun, affecting.stuff in melee range.

Whether I actually buy any of these things mainly depends on how they are packaged. A blister containing one of each wouldn’t be cool. This may happen as it seems the units will be 2-4 instead of 3-6. A possible outcome of that could be for these to be the cheapest unit in AT. I doubt two will come to much less than the price of 3 wardens or gallants though.

I hope voidbreaker doesn’t literally double hits as the WHC article suggests. And as others have said, a lot depends on the ranges of other abilities and their costs. The grav thing should probably do something like the meltagun, affecting.stuff in melee range.

Whether I actually buy any of these things mainly depends on how they are packaged. A blister containing one of each wouldn’t be cool. This may happen as it seems the units will be 2-4 instead of 3-6. A possible outcome of that could be for these to be the cheapest unit in AT. I doubt two will come to much less than the price of 3 wardens or gallants though.

It does not, for Voidbreaker (X) is a rule we already have in the main rulebook. If the weapon hits, there's X additional saves to be made. Since Knight banners shoot as a single weapon, that's +1 save in most cases. Booyah.

It does not, for Voidbreaker (X) is a rule we already have in the main rulebook. If the weapon hits, there's X additional saves to be made. Since Knight banners shoot as a single weapon, that's +1 save in most cases. Booyah.
Oh nice. I thought I recognised the name for the rule.

The engine kill tells us that the two S4 hits from the Magaera are good for killing enemy knights, suggesting that they’ve never encountered knights in a game of AT. The belief that you want low-strength weapons to take out knights is annoyingly hard to shift.

it's weird how the article doesn't mention that these guys are going ti be in resin, you'd think they'd say to keep an eye on Forgeworld, and maybe shill for the resin weapon options for your titans and so on...

I hope they have a variety of leg poses, I'd hate to see every single one have the same flat standing still look the two they show in the example pictures have... but the fact those two were identical makes me worried.

Yeah the flat leg pose was what made me think they were resin when I first saw them. I imagine they've made a single leg pose and you'll get multiples of that, standing rigidly still.

As far as I'm concerned the good news is that it isn't using up the time of the plastic moulding, meaning it shouldn't delay any potential new titans.

it's weird how the article doesn't mention that these guys are going ti be in resin, you'd think they'd say to keep an eye on Forgeworld, and maybe shill for the resin weapon options for your titans and so on...

I hope they have a variety of leg poses, I'd hate to see every single one have the same flat standing still look the two they show in the example pictures have... but the fact those two were identical makes me worried.

They know making things resin is  generally unpopular, so they dont want to put people off early when a few might be so invested theyll take the plunge anyway by the time they hit release :/ 

I suspect what we see is what we shall get with leg poses, you can probably chop them around a bit easily enough though, even scaled down the questoris legs are pretty forgiving i suspect deliberately given all the thought Mr Goodwin put into the initial design :) 

From what I heard on Dakka there is a post on the Facebook group acknowledging that these will be resin.

While it's totally possible that this is fact, I've learned to be a little bit wary of stuff I find on Dakka.