Engine Kill - Magaera & Styrix

And they are released at £32/€40 for 2 knights and a command terminal

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Mechanicum-Questoris-Knights-Magaera-2020

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Mechanicum-Questoris-Knights-Styrix-2020

I couldn't resist buying one set of each, as well as another macro gatling blaster. Had they been plastic, I would have bought many more ...

I knew they’d likely be pricey, but even by FW standards that seems steep. I’ve happily bought at least one of everything they’ve released so far (except the stupidly small scatter terrain) but this is the first time I’ve stopped and thought about it, really not sure I’ll be getting these. Mainly because my stupid internal rule that I have to get a full size unit, which for both of them would be £128!

I agree they're pretty expensive. You can get a couple of warhounds for the same amount from a reseller. 

Personally I don't like them all that much. I definitely don't need any more knights right now. I'll make a decision once I've seen what their terminal looks like, and maybe put a couple in an order if I get some other stuff.

I actually think they're not really up to the standard of other AT models. They've usually done a much better job of scaling stuff down but for these knights the details have ended up being pretty chunky. I think the overall effect is slightly cartoonish, particularly around things like the claws and power cables. I think the plastic knights are better quality and I'm very glad that they made things like the recent Cerastus knights in plastic instead of resin.

I expect we'll see an Atrapos sooner or later, almost certainly in resin too. Those could end up being really good, as I believe they're actually designed for taking on titans. I guess we'll see.

I was thinking similar things myself; they've demonstrated that they really don't need anything in resin currently for AT and these knights certainly don't help. The claws are oversized compared to the full scale and there's none of that fine detail work that resin was used for. I do think the paintjobs do the models a disservice.

Yeah i just tend to ignore FW paintjobs because they tend to be awful, and yeah, getting a good look at the bare resin there is no technical reason these couldnt have been plastic and id have ordered £100 worth for Christmas and be scheming conversions :( 

I mean GW is still getting most of that via a third party for some Skorpius' but they could have had it aaaaaaall :P 

Yes, the FW posing and painting presents their miniatures in a less-than-ideal light sometimes.

I'm thinking that a little cutting and repositioning may do them a world of good...

While I'm on the subject, which variant seems more useful - Styrix or Magaera?

My gut says the multiple S4 shots of the Styrix would be better than the single shot for the Magaera - thoughts?

We can't be sure till we see the terminal but yes, with what we know so far the Styrix seems better to me. They look like they'll be a reasonably good shield breaker, making a banner into  nice addition to a titan force - though possibly not as great in a household army where breaking shields isn't the plan in the first place. S6 melee weapons are a problem.

I don't think you want blast on a knight's gun at all. It prevents targeted shots, which you're going to need with such a low strength. It's not obvious to me what the lightning gun is good against. Definitely not other knights, at that strength.

• 2 weeks later...