Newb question on Call the Brood and Tervigons

TheNewman

I remember seeing an FAQ on the summoning rules for Daemons that said you can't just summon units out of thin air and they have to be paid for as part of the army list, did Tyranids ever get a similar nerf to their spawning strat and Tervigons?

I'm having trouble finding that FAQ so I'm not confident in my search-fu at the moment.

It's on page 241 in the section on building an army. In matched play if you want to use a rule that would add a unit to your army or replace a destroyed unit from your army you have to have set aside some of your points as Reserve Points to pay for the new unit. Rules that add models to an existing unit do not hit this restriction.

In matched play it makes Endless Tide and Call the Brood completely pointless.

In matched play it makes Endless Tide and Call the Brood completely pointless.

Unfortunately, yes, and renders Tervigons half pointless. We can only hope that they fix this persistent problem in the new codex - I'm hoping for a removal of summoning costs which benefits only tyranids and CSM (both weak armies), or some kind of swarm points system. TBH command points are now an in-game currency, so any stratagem that you pay CP's to use should not cost point-points. 

Indeed, the summoning mechanic needs a bit of an overhaul so maybe when the first appropriate codex comes out (CSM?) we can see this. Units for free shouldn't be a thing without some careful planning/restrictions but when you're better off taking the unit normally in many cases it's not great. That's before you factor in units involved in the process such as the Tervigon (you are in part already paying towards them?).

This is why I already knew you could add to existing units. As I am getting together Fleshborer gaunts my plan should I get a Tervigon would have been a large squad as a focus point or something where they could be blasting away and restocking models. Or perhaps two mid sized units for less eggs in a basket. Ideally as a focal point in other ways, as they'd be a good bit of bait to attract the enemy closer. However as noted this is a limited avenue for the Tervigon which is probably why you don't hear anything about them :confused:

Does anyone have experiences to share? It would be nice to salvage something!

The tervigon can still spit out potentially 50 gaunts in a game for free...it's just unfortunate that it's only when you suffer casualties and they cannot take units above their staring size...which is massively unfluffy for a 'endless swarm'. Anyway. You can take a blob of 30 gants with 20 devourers and 10 fleshborers and plonk them in front of the Tervigon. Remove fleshborers ad casualties first and leave the shooting still nearly at max effect, reinforce with a fresh 10 borer gants each turn. 

Edited by Xenith