WarriorFish paints... a White Scar

WarriorFish

For those unaware this is the second in my series of one off models, the first being an Ultramarine. I'm using this as a break from my main projects, try out different things and paint up a tribute to armies I like. So as you've probably figured out second up is a White Scar :tongue.:

While sourcing bits I came across an old biker sprue (from 1997) and thought this was made to be, I've got him assembled ready for priming:

gallery_30308_10604_102663.jpg

I did think about changing the torso and altering an arm, but I figured that staying true to the old model would be nicer especially as a one off model who doesn't need to stand out from others. I may glue a bit more together like the torso and legs but the rest is staying apart for easier painting.

I do have a reasonable amount of experience with white but I'll be testing out the Apothecary White contrast paint on a Grey Seer base (pot version) to see how it works. Fingers crossed it goes better than the Ultramarine did (had to repaint the blue...) :tongue.:

What sort of things do I need to look at, such as company markings etc? If I'm going to do a White Scar he needs to be done properly :smile.: As always any tips etc are welcome :thumbsup:

There is some passage in book 9 of HH that says that WS markings are more or less a mystery to outsiders and the legion does not have uniform insignia.  I just took this as an excuse to do whatever i wanted ><  Basically... more red scarring = more badass so your vets should be covered in red markings with regular troops less so.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've tested out the Apothecary White Contrast paint and it turned out quite well. It'd not as good for larger flat surfaces but as a fancy wash type paint I expected this to be the case. I'm thinking that some white highlights on the edges could be what it needs to round off.

gallery_30308_10604_28555.jpg

Since this worked out I'll get to work on the remaining white parts then I can focus on the details :tu: Which is mostly trim now I think about it...

Is that the contrast paint on black? Is it just one coat? It looks very good, I might have to reconsider my lazy attitude of never bothering to check out the contrast paints... :teehee:

White is difficult to paint so this is a great start, when can we expect to see more?

I painted Grey Seer on the black primer, it's probably better to paint on Wraithbone I'd expect. It was a single coat, though a good one. I've been mulling over the shade of red to use, I usually do a darker red than what the WS want but as I have plenty of reds it's more of an issue of deciding which one to use :tongue.: I was thinking Evil Sunz Scarlet is the layer colour I'm after, but that feels too bright?