Unit of the Week: Interceptor Squad

Skywrath

Welcome to the first ever Grey Knight unit of the Week, where we analyse the Grey Knights units strength's and weaknesses. The unit for this week is the humble Interceptor Squad. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Questions:

1. General first thoughts and impressions of the unit?

2. How would you use said unit, to compliment a list, or to build a list around? 

3. What other units/strategems synergize with it to give it that extra shine?

4. Miscellaneous use/Tips and Tricks?

BONUS: Creative ways to use units that wouldn't be obvious at first. 

I second Mister Reskin, the concept is great! Plus, unit #1 is possibly my favorite... Here goes.

1. In a nutshell, Strike Marines that come with a "jump pack" and a bonus, once-per-game re-deploy (equivalent to deep strike, but from one point on the board to another). Same weapon loadouts as Strikes, and juste as squishy at T4, 1W (PLEASE GW) and a 3+ Save. Good mobility and combat, great shooting potential, low resilience outside of cover and even then.

2. Two options with these guys, in my opinion. Either 5-man support units, objective-grabbers, chaff cleaners, Vortex threats or Smite-slingers. Option 2, 10-man offensive units that can delete enemy infantry/elites through a combination of stratagems and powers. Could you build a list around 3 maxed units? Perhaps, if you went down the resilience road for the rest of the army... Terminators and GMDKs? Best used as support or a "tactical nuke", IMO. The main argument against them is their lack of resilience. True, left out in the open, they will die to pretty much anything bar lasguns, and even then, a massed volley will hurt them. Storm Bolters are great, but every one you lose hurts your damage output. The key to Interceptors is to keep them protected, create situations where either a) your opponent can't retaliate after you hit with the Interceptors, b) your opponent needs to shift his battle-line drastically or divert excessive resources into getting rid of said Interceptors, which is good for you in the long run if they've removed what they were sent against.  

3. For units of 10, Psybolt is your best mate. 40 S6, -1, D2 shots that can be placed anywhere 9" away from bad guys and shoot out of LoS thanks to buddy N.2, Astral Aim. I think there's a lot to be said for the one unit of ten running around with Astral Aim and Psybolt on every turn, staying hidden and shooting through walls. They can make their 230pts back a couple times over, if used to effect. They do well at operating alone or in conjunction with Ethereal Manipulation, but Gating a GMDK up with them turn one gives them re-rolls and makes for a pretty scary Turn 1 push. Teleport Boost allows them to shunt again for 1CP, can be useful.

4. As mentioned above, units of five can be held back in cover until mid-game to shunt onto forgotten objectives, clear backfield chaff and nab Linebreaker and Engage points. Their shunt can be great for landing a Vortex where you need it too.

That's pretty much it for me, hope it's useful!

Edited by The Woodsman

I agree with the above post that they really are sooo squishy however mobility and fire power is great. My favourite trick atm is with edict imperator. Place a 10 man unit them behind obscuring terrain. Jump jump 12" forward. Put edict imperator on and throw on psybolt if target is over 12" away throw on steady aim. Then jump back behind obscuring again.

The nice thing about this is there is no reliance on astral aim. Which means you can astral and psybolt another unit in the shooting phase.

Further to my love of the above 10man unit trick is later on you can spend 1 cp to combat squad and this place 4mortal wounds where ever you like on the board.

Finally there once a game jump (unless you cp) happens in your movement phase.I have found this to be excellent for repair teleport homers stratagem as opposed to using a deep striking unit as they can still be effective in the other turns. Also once any deep strike is done people tend to forget about this ability.

A further weakness is combat do not expect them to win any fight in close combat well. They are great for supporting a combat but otherwise consider them a mobile gun platform. The change to falchions really hurt power armour grey knights.

A further weakness is combat do not expect them to win any fight in close combat well. They are great for supporting a combat but otherwise consider them a mobile gun platform. The change to falchions really hurt power armour grey knights.

I agree that their damage output really comes from their shooting ability. That being said, Falchions can do a number against squishy infantry, and Halberds can hurt a lot of stuff. Its important not to forget their combat potential outside of combat damage output. Tying up a unit, clearing/stealing an objective with a Turn 1 charge. Mobile units have such a key function outside of damage in and of itself. 

I agree with the above post that they really are sooo squishy however mobility and fire power is great. My favourite trick atm is with edict imperator. Place a 10 man unit them behind obscuring terrain. Jump jump 12" forward. Put edict imperator on and throw on psybolt if target is over 12" away throw on steady aim. Then jump back behind obscuring again.

The nice thing about this is there is no reliance on astral aim. Which means you can astral and psybolt another unit in the shooting phase.

Further to my love of the above 10man unit trick is later on you can spend 1 cp to combat squad and this place 4mortal wounds where ever you like on the board.

Finally there once a game jump (unless you cp) happens in your movement phase.I have found this to be excellent for repair teleport homers stratagem as opposed to using a deep striking unit as they can still be effective in the other turns. Also once any deep strike is done people tend to forget about this ability.

Dude, that is brilliant! I'm having a tournament this weekend, and I'll definitely going to try that trick out, thanks so much for sharing! Upvoted my good sir.

++ Some really good responses here folks, keep it up! ++

Dude, that is brilliant! I'm having a tournament this weekend, and I'll definitely going to try that trick out, thanks so much for sharing! Upvoted my good sir.

++ Some really good responses here folks, keep it up! ++

Yeah the 10-man "storm bolter bomb" I think can be great support for any list. The versatility, mobility and firepower you're getting out of those 230 points... I don't think you'd need to run more, you'd start digging into points better spent in Paladins/Terminators and your heavier stuff, but there is definitely a place for them in a tournament list. Especially if you're aiming to capitalize on Convergence buffs.

It just shows how Grey Knights can really boost the potential of units through tricks like Edict, Astral Aim and Gate, used in conjunction with the multiple layers of buffs available when played right. This is what I mean by GK being able to punch above their weight class. While they don't have the raw profile superiority or efficiency of Marines, they can out-manouver and catch by suprise a lot of factions and players.

• 1 month later...

Soo I love these guys and have just thought of another use.

3 5man units but you put them in reserve maybe give one vortex.

You deep strike on a flank and target a single enemy unit and destroy it. Now unlike strikes who would be stuck there or use up your precious gate. They just shunt where ever you need the support