Forge World Models that Became 40k Models?

ThePenitentOne

Okay, Forgeworld was always too expensive for me, so I haven't paid as much attention over the years. But it came up in another thread, and I know many members here are all in on Forgeworld, so I thought I'd crowd source it.

The only one I know for sure is the Valkyrie. But I thought Baneblades and or some of their variants, a few of the flyers, etc.

Can anyone add to the list, or is it way shorter than I thought?

Thanks in advance.

Baneblade used to be resin, yes - I remember seeing it in a WD battle report during the og Eye of Terror campaign, and being like, wow, what on earth is that!? Most of the Calth/Prospero stuff too, but not sure about much else. Depends how loose your definition is, FW used to do LatD kits before we got the Blackstone Traitor Guard, if that counts?

Edited by Qkhitai

Tyranid Trygon, Tartaros and Cataphractii armour, Hydra, Manticore. The Hydra and Manticore were both very different but they wre inspired by the Epic models rather than anything pre-existing. I actually prefer the Forge World models but I do like the plastic ones too.

Edit: Ninja'd with the Trygon.

Sadly there is a ton of cool stuff that GW could have converted over by haven't yet. My friend could really do with the winged Tyranid Warriors known as Shrikes.

Edited by Magos Takatus

Vindicator was the first I believe.

Whirlwind

The Vindicator and Whilwind had mixed-medium metal-and-plastic kits based on the MkI Rhino from 2nd Ed (the Whirlwind wasn't a new kit when I bought mine in 2001).  Of course, if there were a FW version before that, I'd love to see pics, cos I like looking at models from the past. :smile.:

I think the current GW Vindicator/Whilwind kits are inspired by the Forgeworld conversion kits for the MkIIc Rhino, which were introduced in the early 2000's (they're in the 2005 catalogue - I don't have an earlier one, annoyingly).

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Firedrake is right about the Vindicator and especially the Whirlwind (Which predates FW entirely by some years afaik!) Technically the drop pod was a smaller variant too but thats splitting hairs i reckon :D 

Id heard there were originally more plans to convert FW stuff into plastic but it was kiboshed from on high for reasons my guy didnt know or get explained but i suspect was something about sales cannibalisation/conversion. Of course then they did do another wave of it with the Heresy boxed sets but afaik thats not something they are keen to repeat either for whatever reasons.

Vindicator was the first I believe.

Whirlwind

The Vindicator and Whilwind had mixed-medium metal-and-plastic kits based on the MkI Rhino from 2nd Ed (the Whirlwind wasn't a new kit when I bought mine in 2001).  Of course, if there were a FW version before that, I'd love to see pics, cos I like looking at models from the past. :smile.:

I think the current GW Vindicator/Whilwind kits are inspired by the Forgeworld conversion kits for the MkIIc Rhino, which were introduced in the early 2000's (they're in the 2005 catalogue - I don't have an earlier one, annoyingly).

That's kind of what I meant. There was a GW model for the vindi and whirlwind, but then FW made their own resin versions of them in an updated style as upgrades to the new rhino kit. Citadel then essentially made 1:1 copies of these for the plastic range. 

I'm pretty sure the Wave Serpent was originally a FW resin conversion kit for the Falcon.

Wave serpent was originally farmed out to Anvil Industries to produce. 3rd party warhammer is a very long tradition!

But somewhere along the way there was a FW resin mod kit, wasn't there?

I'm pretty sure the Wave Serpent was originally a FW resin conversion kit for the Falcon.

Wave serpent was originally farmed out to Anvil Industries to produce. 3rd party warhammer is a very long tradition!

Weren't the old school eldar models Armourcast, not Anvil? Either way, the serpent was reimagined with 3rd ed/forgeworld with a falcon upgrade kit.

Weren't the old school eldar models Armourcast, not Anvil? Either way, the serpent was reimagined with 3rd ed/forgeworld with a falcon upgrade kit.

I think you are correct!

That's kind of what I meant. There was a GW model for the vindi and whirlwind, but then FW made their own resin versions of them in an updated style as upgrades to the new rhino kit. Citadel then essentially made 1:1 copies of these for the plastic range. 

Gotcha. I clearly misunderstood the intent (I was interpreting "models" as "units", rather than "designs" :blush:) :)

The resin Exorcist came first I think. There was a resin Immolator that's super rare but like the Vindicator it was metal originally.

The plastic Horus Heresy stuff was sculpted by the Forgeworld team so they're more like predesccors to the Necromunda and Blood Bowl stuff.

White Dwarf had a conversion guide for the Wave Serpent before FW sold one.

Bloat Drones are based off a FW unit but redesigned. The Baneblade was also heavily redesigned for plastic while the Trygon and Valkyrie were not.

Harpy?

There was never a FW Harpy. The Harpy was introduced in the 5th codex and the only FW tyranid model released after that were the Malanthrope and Dimachaeron.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Harpy?

There was never a FW Harpy. The Harpy was introduced in the 5th codex and the only FW tyranid model released after that were the Malanthrope and Dimachaeron.

Yup. The FW model was the Harridan, and that's pretty massive compared to the Harpy.

http://teamstormbolter.blogspot.com/2014/06/tyranid-harridan-harpy-and-hive-crone.html