New Boxed game, but what to paint

INKS

Hey everyone, I've got this on order now. I went and got the Tau vs Imperial one. I sadly can't do the painting / assembling myself (my hands are just too bad anymore) but I need to come up with colors to paint them and I am at a total loss. 

I was thinking a Red Enclave for Tau but the Imperial I just don't know and inspiration is dry.

Also I was hoping someone who have some insight on how to build these models to make the lists the most fair out of the box?

Welcome! Taking your questions in order;

Imperial colour schemes, all I can suggest is look across the various threads here, there are some really nice ideas. There’s various camo schemes which can look really nice, various people, myself included, have gone for bolder squadron colours rather than anything camo, and then some have taken inspiration from some of the really iconic colour schemes of real world air forces, like the shiny chrome of some American planes. There’s so much historical and 40k examples to choose from, a bit of research wil go a long way.

As to making it fair out of the box, unfortunately the original box with the Orks is a much more balanced affair. The T’au totally outclass the Imperials in the second box. You could load up the Imperials with extra guns and missiles, but I think it’s probably best to accept that you’ll have to play with fewer T’au than Imps unless you want to invest in some reinforcements for the poor humans.

As for the extra books, both of them come with the same extra rules (mainly the funky weapons and scenario special rules from memory), and more scenarios beyond just the Dogfight. The Taros book is good because it also has rules for low altitude flying and terrain, the Rynn’s World book has rules for campaigns (and also Orks and the rest of the Imperial fleet options) but I’m not sure it’s available apart from the ebook anymore. They have a decent amount of lore about their respective campaigns, but pictures of painted models are very limited.

I don't like orks at all, so it's Tau and Humans. I guess I'll have to figure out how to scale back the forces until I can flesh out both sides more. 

I appreciate the input. I went and picked up the Taros book and it should be arriving soonish.

I was wondering how to assemble the models, for example:  You get 2 astra militarum valkyrie assault carriers but you can also assemble them as vendetta assault carries. I am sure the rules explain the difference but I was wondering if someone has done the math on this and just figured out for starting what are the best options to build.

example 2: 3 Tau air caste barracudas AX-5-2 could also be AX-5-3 Or AX-5-4

Edit: I was looking at some paint schemes and I think I have an idea for Imperials

for Tau I think I am going to go with Farsight Encalve colors. I think it would look good.

For colour-schemes for the Imperials, according to the background, the Imperial Navy craft are generally painted a shade of grey, although this may be adapted based on the environment to which they are deployed.  There are also (obviously) some exceptions, e.g. the "Apostles" in "Double Eagle" painted their craft cream.  Sadly, the rulebooks don't help you for colour palette suggestions - in that respect, the backs of the respective unit boxes are more helpful, as they generally have 3 schemes on the back (e.g. Marauder Destroyer, Avenger Strike).  The "Sabbat Worlds Crusade" hardback had a few pictures of Imperial Navy craft in it, although I'm pretty sure they can be found elsewhere, e.g. the 40K Fandom Wiki (Thunderbolti, Marauder, Lightning, Valkyrie).

IMHO, the best source of colour-schemes is the Vallejo Air War range of paint sets, as most of the GW paint schemes I've seen are adapted from real-world colour-schemes.  Personally, I picked late-war Luftwaffe (and I'm now trying to work out how to adapt and paint it) ...

You get 2 astra militarum valkyrie assault carriers but you can also assemble them as vendetta assault carries. I am sure the rules explain the difference but I was wondering if someone has done the math on this and just figured out for starting what are the best options to build.

For that one, I think the consensus is all-lascannon Vendettas.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

thank you for the input. 

I found this on the web last night and I like it. Do you think this is too "outside" what might actually be seen in 40k?

I mean I know you can paint them however you like but I wouldn't want it to be too outlandish. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingas:cuss/comments/agr4ux/the_camouflage_pattern_on_russias_su57_fighter/

Oh, that's neat :)

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd say it could work - there are examples of the Imperial Navy does using "regular" camo patterns on their craft.  There's certainly a possible backstory justification for it, anyway - maybe your squadron are more on the "spec ops" end of the Navy, or are conducting combat trials on it..?

That looks cool, if you think you can pull it off on a small scale model go for it! The Imperium is incredibly vast and you shouldn't feel limited by what colour you can paint your aircraft, especially as there is a dearth of canonical squadrons to emulate. Whether your aircraft is in a bright distinctive ace scheme or camouflaged for the ground, the sky, or both, the variety of planets in the Imperium means you can pretty much do what you want.

The only thing I've ever seen complaints about (in other communities) is people using real world Air Forces roundels and symbols on their jets, and I would say even do that if it makes you happy. Though perhaps not the German Air Force symbols 1939-45 :ermm:. Don't be that guy!

In the end I choose a desert scheme for my squadron based on a historical example. I've seen quite a few desert squadrons, perhaps because tan and desert colours look good with less effort.

Edited by Beaky Brigade