Fixing Reanimation Protocols

Captain Idaho

I had another socially distanced game last night (to be fair, that's easy if you're on your side of the table) and I can honestly say RP was great on the 1 wound models. Really strong. Combined with Technomancers and Ghost Arks returning models it's a real pain for the opponent.

It did literally nothing for all other models in my arm. I wasn't even close to returning a Destroyer or Scarab!

For that reason, there needs to be something done/amended.

How did living metal do?

In my games, I found living metal to come up only once and that was for a ghost ark to regain a single wound and then be blasted away next turn. Every other MW model didn't benefit because, well, you gotta be not dead to benefit.

I mean if living metal also applied to dead model in the unit too that'd help out the MW model units. A unit of 3 destroyers reduced to 2 models; if the other models in it are undamaged then living metal bring back the third model on 1 wound.

Edited by Atrus

Hmmmm interesting concept. Kinda like it actually.

Just puting the feelers out there. See if anyone else just kinda felt "meh" about living metal. Regaining a wound here and there is super situational if it becomes universally beneficial or not.

Edited by Ahzek451

I'm making a quick analysis video of RP and presenting it to my Youtube channel. It's not a tactica article rather a review of the rules.

It's mostly my opinion here and I explain. It does emphasise they Warriors and Immortals really benefit from the rule, just it isn't thematically working for multi wound units and compared to Marines, the list of special rules and reanimation potential is negligible.

I compared an Apothecary and Technomancer for this too.

Nice work on the video! So, just pondering on all this. At this point were looking at two things happening. If anything happens at all. GW is not known for making multiple huge changes across a codex in an faq. This sort of thing would have to wait for the next codex.

However, they have and could make a simple change. And the more I think abiut it, the more I feel that the only thing they could potentially do is just change some of the wording on the core rule itself. And the more I think on it, the more I can see it being easier to bring back wounds worth of models from the dice pool. I think the reason they didn't do this in the first place is because it might have been too much. But...with the growing meta, in time it may not be so bad. Future proofing.

I just cant see them coming out with a faq that changes a whole slew of rules from the reanimator, technonamcer, orbs, relics, etc. I am seriously thinking the best thing we will see from the reanimator for the entire lifespan of this codex is a points reduction. But...please prove me wrong GW.

I geuss the question is, now what?

Edited by Ahzek451

I'll be enjoying the army as much as I can anyway. It's still great fun playing the Necrons now.

I was thinking they could change RP so it's a 5+ if the model has a single wound, 4+ if they have 2 wounds and 3+ if they have 3 or more wounds.

It would make a difference but be far from over powered as it'll still fail a lot (more often than not) when used on models with multiple wounds.

It would be nice for multiple wound models to come back with just 1/2 wounds remaining but I won't get my hopes up. Regarding FAQ, I feel that C'tan may lose Living Metal. I don't think they had it in previous editions. There's also talk in the community that our Dynasty obsec trait may be a little too powerful.

I hope there isn't a knee jerk reaction to Necrons in an FAQ. Compared to Marines they're not bad at all.

• C'tan are very much solvable for players. The problem is too many players just sit there and try to firepower things off the board. I can build an Ultramarines list without even trying that can kill the Nightbringer in a couple turns fairly easily. Just hit them in multiple phases.

• Objective Secured is fairly important. Our Warriors are so slow and our elite and faster stuff should be taking Objectives, it's a problem otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
I have little hopes for my poor necrons. The RP is pointless unless playing warriors or immortals and no point cost balancing will change that. The army wide rules and strat are knee capped to the maximum and our strong absec rule does not look that strong anymore as most armies (at least SM from what I see) have access to it via a WT. Our only asset are the ctan and they are not scary at all unless you are a custodian if you know how to play and position correctly. In competitive play I wouldn t be surprised if a lot of players are dropping their c tan for a more consistent option. As an example you could replace your c tan by a nightscythe with 10 lychguard with warscythe and charge something with the strat on turn 2 from deep strike for less points dealing more damage than a c tan and arguably being as durable as a ctan.

Easiest fix would be reanmimate however many wounds you get OR have the dice carry forward

That's what I was thinking, that for non Warrior/ Immortals, RP successes went to a resource pool. Then later you could use those dice to bring back a multi wound model rather than having to get them all at once. Even saving them until Morale phase would be a boost without having to keep them too long.

Even giving various types slight variations could be interesting. Canopteks getting 4+ for instance, and maybe Destroyers are 6+ but you can come back with partial wounds, so even a single success might return a model.

I don't see that (or much of anything) happening. What I assume will happen at some point is a tweak to RP buff's or maybe a new unit that gives a bigger boost. Seems unlikely though, since the change for the Reanimator from Indomitus to Codex only made them worse.

Though, we don't have a general release Reanimator yet either, so who knows.

I love it when my orb of eternity brings back a single Lychguard, out of 6. Twice. 2 points shy of making its points back lol...

I really wish the res orb could be used every turn instead of the once per BS it is now. In fact, there's way too many once per abilities in this army, where others get multiple uses every turn. Ugh...

The Reanimator would be considered worthwhile if it worked like the Technomancer but on any unit - heals D3 Warriors a turn or 1 model from another unit.

I'd even give it "heal D3+1 Warriors or 1 model to full wounds and any wounded models to full wounds of another unit".

Just limit it to as "no Canoptek units".