We can't use FW anymore.

Zombs

Hehe. My group has a no FW rule, so this doesn't affect any of us. Stuff is overpriced to buy (in the U.S.), resin can be pretty bad and warped, and rules are all over the place (as in too point effective like the dreads in 8th or too expensive like the majority of other stuff). I for one was happy to see the dreads nerfed, but not happy to see them taken away. It sucks people out there have time and money invested in this stuff and now they can't use it. But I won't lose any sleep over this. To me the whole FW index is kind of a scam anyways. Pay all that money just for datasheets that should just come with the friggin' units, shouldn't have to buy a specialty book to go with the specialty units.

I got a feeling they will get added back in with a FAQ.

Edited by Putrid Choir

As I recall this happened in 8th when the FW index was released, and quickly sorted.

If it's not though, just sub them into a purge detachment. Would also net you an apostle, warpsmith, havocs etc. That might break the mono bonuses you could be getting with the new dex, give it a bit more time to see what happens- still have that salt/phosphex on standby. Hopefully it's FAQ'd properly along with TS.

I doubt this is intentional, the Compendium book simply happens to be a lazy slapdash job from the GW studio. The FAQ ought to cover that when it hits, but even if they should remain silent on it for some aberrant reason we're going to use them in our garagehammer just like before. F that noise, XIV rides with 'noughts all day every day.

I heard in the other thread that they lost Hateful Assault too. Yay for chaos being worse than loyalist for another edition!

Yes, the chaos dreads are currently indeed simply worse loyalists. Same statlines, basically same weapons, same costs, yet worse synergies, no DttFE nor Hateful Assault while the loyalists have Angels on Death written on them. Also no Helbrute keyword, so no legion traits either until FAQ'd. Also no healing, no soulburners, no butchers, no better CC invul, no any reason to run double fists now without extra attack from them...

Feels bad, man.

Yeah... I am just gonna content myself with my tyranids this gets patched. If I really get the urge to play Nurgle chaos, the Purge seem more versatile and appealing than the DG, at the moment. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from FW/GW about this issue? No one responded to my emails to them. This has to be an oversight to leave out the keyword for DG/TS to take FW units.

I've seen posts on a DG group on FB where screen shots were shared from the digital version showing the language was different and DG/TS could take all the FW options. 

Why did GW change that afterwards?

From this: IMPERIAL ARMOR COMPENDIUM UNITS IN DEATH GUARD AND THOUSAND SONS ARMIESMany units described in the Imperial Armor Compendium, as well as in this document, can be fielded in Death Guard and Thousand Sons armies even though you cannot normally replace the <Legion> keyword with either Death Guard or Thousand Sons. Such a unit counts as a Legends unit for all purposes.

to this: CHAOS SPACE MARINES UNITS IN DEATH GUARD AND THOUSAND SONS ARMIES <Legion> units (excluding Chaos Hellwrights) in this document can be fielded in Death Guard and Thousand Sons armies even though you cannot normally replace the <Legion> keyword with either Death Guard or Thousand Sons.

Both on page 71.

OLD

124608120_10159708120689460_341158106446

NEW

124885363_10207859391760047_347234785816

Because 1 out of every 3 comments were people ripping into the GW staff for making every Forgeworld unit a Legends option for Thousand Sons and Death Guard for no reason.

It was enough of a negative reaction that they slapped a band-aid on the issue within an hour of posting thus giving hope that the compendium would also be fixed in the future. Im honestly surprised the post wasn't removed like other overly negative posts have been in the past.

Whats the synopsis? Can we use that stuff in DG or not?

As of this moment DG and 1kSons can only use the options in the legends book as legends options and have no access to the compendium units outside of DG greater blight drone.

We must be reading the above post completely differently. It explicitly states you can use FW units for Death Guard and they gain the Bubotic Astartes and Plague Company keywords so they can  in fact be used by DG.

Whats the synopsis? Can we use that stuff in DG or not?

As of this moment DG and 1kSons can only use the options in the legends book as legends options and have no access to the compendium units outside of DG greater blight drone.

We must be reading the above post completely differently. It explicitly states you can use FW units for Death Guard and they gain the Bubotic Astartes and Plague Company keywords so they can in fact be used by DG.
Yes, they can use the units in that book which is the compilation of all the Legends options.

Correction, not book, its a PDF.

It went from Every unit in the Compendium and the Legends Collection that can be taken by Heretic Astartes are legends options for Thousand Sons and Death Guard

to instead be every unit in the Legends Collection that can be taken by Heretic Astartes can now be taken by Thousand Sons and Death Guard as legends options with the exception of the Chaos Helwrite.

So pretty much until they FAQ/Erratta the Compendium the only Forgeworld models that Thousand Sons and Death Guard can take because they have the Keywords Arcana Astartes and Bubonic Astartes respectively are the Forgeworld Legends models. With the exception of the Greater Plague Drone which can be taken by Death Guard.

Edited by Irate Khornate

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the new Imperial armour update Just went out 2 days ago.

Apparently DG and TS can't use any FW models since they cannot take our legion keyword. We only have access to the greater blight drone.

GW strikes ones again. No dreadnoughts, no drill, no nothing. Hope they FAQ this.

Opinions?

This is what happens when you do separate codexes instead of a main Codex and supplements

As DA player i always argued why we didn't had centurions or Stormravens and i had to wait until 9th edition to get units codex chapters had since 5/6th efition

When GW will Be wise enough they will do the same treatment for CSM too and DG/TS will get more toys

Until then we must accept to be the last in line of the legions

Well, the new Imperial armour update Just went out 2 days ago.

Apparently DG and TS can't use any FW models since they cannot take our legion keyword. We only have access to the greater blight drone.

GW strikes ones again. No dreadnoughts, no drill, no nothing. Hope they FAQ this.

Opinions?

This is what happens when you do separate codexes instead of a main Codex and supplements

As DA player i always argued why we didn't had centurions or Stormravens and i had to wait until 9th edition to get units codex chapters had since 5/6th efition

When GW will Be wise enough they will do the same treatment for CSM too and DG/TS will get more toys

Until then we must accept to be the last in line of the legions

As far as forge world that makes sense, but death guard has 15 units unique to them that the vanilla chaos marines can't take. It's only fair vanilla marines have stuff DG can't take. I rather have separate codexes. They really just butchered forge world wording. Not sure it's that hard to replace any <heretic astartes> forge world units <legion> keyword with any legion (vanilla, TS and DG). Super easy. Just make sure it can take the appropriate mark. If the unit has to have mark of khorne, then DG and TS can't take it. They dropped the ball and over complicated it all.