2000pts, 3 Monoliths!

Seahawk

So, I figure in for a penny, in for a pound when it comes to the pyramids.

Super Heavy Detachment (Relentlessly Expansionist, Rad-Wreathed or Unyielding)

[360] Monolith

[360] Monolith

[360] Monolith

Outrider Detachment (Relentlessly Expansionist, Eternal Conquerors or Rad-wreathed, or Novokh)

[100] Chronomancer - Entropic Lance, Veil of Darkness, Immortal Pride, Photonic Transubjector, Cryptogeometric Adjuster

[40] 2 Cryptothralls

[175] 5 Skorpekh Destroyers

[145] 9 Scarabs

[145] 9 Scarabs

[145] 9 Scarabs

I can't quite determine which custom dynasty traits to use with these, though I've narrowed it down. Rad-wreathed sounds great, because all those attacks will be wounds on an easier number. 

The roombas of doom charge forward hoping to snap unwary peoples.

This list any good?

Edited by Seahawk

I wanna say that unyielding is 100% the correct choice in the pyramid detachment. You just can't afford for them to get shut down by being tagged.

For the second detachment I've got a couple thoughts. Firstly; due to its elite nature I think you need the eternal conquerors as you don't have enough units to just rely on murdering your way onto enough objectives.

What is your chronomancer intended to be equipped with? He's listed as having two arkana which he can't have but he's pointed correctly to just have the 1. That being said I don't think either are really worth it and prismatic obfuscation would be more helpful. Obviously veil can't move any of your other units but is still tactically viable to just rapidly reposition your cryptek to use a buff or snatch an objective.

I think if it were me I'd try and split some of my resources to cover more ground but in a way where I could still maximise survivability. I'd drop two scarab squads to 8 and one to 3. Then use those points to take a second chronomancer and cryptothrall squad. This means you can have two squads with 5++ and reroll charges (which both scarabs and skorpekhs will want au varying points of the game) also gives you another unit to do mundane secondaries like raise banners or scan without sacrificing a turn of offense from your skorpekhs. The little scarab squad takes on a more covert role. Small footprint and low threat makes them an undesirable target you can use to engage or chump block etc.

Ah, you're right on the cryptek gear, I was typing this up while half asleep haha.

Okay, how does this look:

Super Heavy Detachment (Relentlessly Expansionist, Unyielding)

[360] Monolith

[360] Monolith

[360] Monolith

Outrider Detachment (Relentlessly Expansionist, Eternal Conquerors)

[80] Chronomancer - Entropic Lance, Veil of Darkness

[130] Skorpekh Lord

[40] 2 Cryptothralls

[135] 9 Scarabs

[135] 9 Scarabs

[45] 3 Scarabs

I would honestly run the monoliths as Szarekhan, hear me out.

They get both bonuses from the repair command protocol, and they have a warlord trait to use it twice. So you would be regenerating 2 wounds a turn with living metal, and also helping keep your supporting staff alive. They also have resistance to mortal wounds which is always fun on a large model.

Definitely an improvement, I'd make the skorpekh your warlord over the chronomancer. Enduring will for extra durability or eternal madness to really ensure that you wound what you hit.

I would honestly run the monoliths as Szarekhan, hear me out.

They get both bonuses from the repair command protocol, and they have a warlord trait to use it twice. So you would be regenerating 2 wounds a turn with living metal, and also helping keep your supporting staff alive. They also have resistance to mortal wounds which is always fun on a large model.

He wouldn't get the protocols at all unless the whole army was szarekhan which really wouldn't be worth it. Also the monoliths don't have an invuln so mortal wounds are the least of their concern.

Edited by Shas Oh Dear

Good thoughts, and I had another.

How much AP -5 does one regularly see in the wild? I ask because -5 or worse would make the 6+ inv save relevant, anything weaker wouldn't. Melta is mostly -4 these days, right? I'd still get the 6+ armor save then. Hmmm.

I have seen others run monoliths as Szarekhan and that save vs mortal wounds is tempting (Harlequin haywire is scary after all). However, the aim here is to smash them into combat, so the pregame move is extraordinarily important.

Edited by Seahawk

Ah, you're right on the cryptek gear, I was typing this up while half asleep haha.

Okay, how does this look:

Super Heavy Detachment (Relentlessly Expansionist, Unyielding)

[360] Monolith

[360] Monolith

[360] Monolith

[130] Skorpekh Lord

[40] 2 Cryptothralls

[135] 9 Scarabs

[135] 9 Scarabs

[45] 3 Scarabs

I actually rate this list mate. Dealing with those Skorpekh AND Monoliths is a handful for any army.

Could you fit in any Spyders to repair a Monolith at all?

Although the Chronomancer is excellent, since your list is focused on the mobile homes, you probably need to emphasise them with the rest of the list.

Either way a solid list. I want to see how it goes. After all, Eradicators would only be able to kill at best 1 Monolith before you nuked them...

Something like this:

Super Heavy Detachment (Relentlessly Expansionist, Rad-wreathed)

[360] Monolith

[360] Monolith

[360] Monolith

[40] 2 Cryptothralls

[70] Tomb Spyder - fabricator claws, gloom prism

[65] Tomb Spyder - fabricator claws

[175] 5 Wraiths

[175] 5 Wraiths

[135] 9 Scarabs

[135] 9 Scarabs

[45] 3 Scarabs

• 2 weeks later...