Starting custodes in v9

I always liked the custodes but never jumped in the goldy wagon... except with my admech , I bought a box of 3 custodes bikes back in the days when admech needed something fast. I never assembled the captains on jetbikes nor opened the box. shame on me :blush.:

But now I'm ready during the lockdown: I want to complete this and have a core army that I wan use in several builds. My fist intent is: 1 bike box (total =2, I will build 2 captains), trajan, 2 allarus box and 2 guards or wardens box. Which is the most versatile? I don't see the real difference between them but I often see the guards+shields in lists.

Is this first bying good to go then to 2K points army?

Then, later this year, I'll grab some FW big boys (love the big minis). Telemon and/or caladius. But first, I need this core above :wink: .

Maybe a third box of one of the 3 above should be interesting? which one?

I have also started buying some custodes off ebay - It seems to be an easy to play, hard to master army with a lot of new toys and rules.
I come from Genestealer Cult so I thought this would be the perfect opposite to my collection.

What I got so far:

- 6 Allarus Custodians - mixed axes and spears

- 3 Dawneagle Jetbikes - either for Shield Commanders or Vertus Praetors

- 5 Custodian Guard - Sentinel Blade and Stormshield

I plan to run a more infantry-heavy footslogging list. What is great that you can use your models in multiple ways especially if you magnetize your models. A Vexilus is just a Guard-Model with a banner. It really feels like you could play any model and variety just adds to your toolbox, unlocking more strats for the right situation.

The Stormshield-Guard is a great tanky unit for your backfield, that just won't budge. Board control is a big weakness for custodes afaik.

Coming from GSC, where there's a few traps in the codex (pun intended) it feels like you can't go wrong with any choice as custodes. Everything is playable and you can pack a decent punch even by just picking the models/weapons you like the most.

Edited by crownedzoidberg

Order is on the way. Everything is playable, yes, indeed. But the thing is: you have to carefully build your list and have a accurate plan because it is hard to win due to specific weakness of this army: board control & low units/models count come to mind.

I wen for:

- 2 boxes of bikes (2 cap+4 bikes)

- 2 boxes of allarus (1 cap+1 vex+4allarus)

- 1 box of guards (1 cap or vex + 2 shields + 2 spears or shields).

From there, I think that I'll go the FW route. This is just a bit expensive atm...