Not a Spacewolf player........

Wolfrage23

I've been play Wolves since 3rd edtion but I learned something new today....... I was told that since I play an all primaris Space Wolf successor that I am NOT a Space Wolf player, I am a WAAC Primaris player.........

Just wanted to warn my fellow Wolflords less you mistaking think yourself a Wolf Player...

Um, okay - was the person trying to make you sad/upset - was it pre-game trash talk or something? Did you take it to heart?

Technically, they aren't wrong about you not being a Space Wolf player if you are playing a Successor at that time - that's the veritable definition of not playing something (not playing it) - doesn't make you a WAAC Primaris player any more than me playing an Unforgiven Successor made me a non-Primaris WAAC player (I will agree that I was never a Dark Angels player - I never played the Dark Angels all the way back to 2nd Edition). Being one doesn't automatically make you the other, or not something else.

In the end it really doesn't matter. Person doesn't sound like they'd be fun to hang around with though.

I've been play Wolves since 3rd edtion but I learned something new today....... I was told that since I play an all primaris Space Wolf successor that I am NOT a Space Wolf player, I am a WAAC Primaris player.........

Just wanted to warn my fellow Wolflords less you mistaking think yourself a Wolf Player...

Hahaha... first of all, I'm in the same boat as you.  I've been playing Space Wolves since the 3rd edition codex supplement first came out and now I have an exclusively Primaris army (I sold off all the non-Primaris stuff I had).  Second of all, until very recently, playing all Primaris Space Wolves was 100% playing on hard mode.  Before Ragnar and SotB and Impulsors, etc playing a pure Primaris Space Wolves army was much harder than mixing in Firstborn units.

Anyway, who cares.

If your successor looks obviously SW-ish, then that is silly. With the new book, there are even rules for doing just that.

Even otherwise, every other person with a custom successor or really of any faction pick the best tactic, so it's hardly worth commenting on.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I once overheard a DA player at another table comment that because my army was painted dawn stone I was WAAC because I could play them as grey knights. This was during 5th edition, but that’s not how WYSIWYG works... The lesson is: People are dumb, carry on.

I find that agreement so silly, out of all the chapters primaris fit the best with the wolves. Why? Because space wolves value action more than anything. I think if primaris showed up and threw done the hurt as good as the first born Then they would toasted with them all the same

I find that agreement so silly, out of all the chapters primaris fit the best with the wolves. Why? Because space wolves value action more than anything. I think if primaris showed up and threw done the hurt as good as the first born Then they would toasted with them all the same

I have to disagree with you. I think space wolves should never have had primaris, just like the grey knights. Why? Because they are so nonconforming anti-codex, I find it laughable to think they would know what to even do with them. Granted, that ship has sailed, and we are forced to develop a rationale to make it work.

Don't misunderstand. I like the primaris units, and most are very good compared to first born. SW have a different hierarchy than the other SM chapters, and follow different traditions. I think if GW wanted primaris to fit more cleany into the existing SW structure, they should have had the primaris units include an optional WGPL from the start, just like the equivalent first born units. Defining a unit by its wargear seems like a very bad design to me, specifically when there is no additional unit rules to distinguish them. Any of the "wolf guard" keyworded infantry units should have been merged into a single unit (maybe 3, for MX/phobos/gravis), with each model getting their choice of wargear, just like our firstborn wolf guard.

Edited by Gherrick

Unfortunately it was a serious argument, its not the first time we have had it........ He also hates crusade rules, thinks they are not fair to his necrons.  I wish i could find other people to play but that's just not happening, my area is really slim pickings for warhammer 40k players and he has the table and scenery to boot.....

But I'm not taking it serious, just pisses me off when people tell me I'm not a real wolf player cause I only use Primaris units....... 

Unfortunately it was a serious argument, its not the first time we have had it........ He also hates crusade rules, thinks they are not fair to his necrons.  I wish i could find other people to play but that's just not happening, my area is really slim pickings for warhammer 40k players and he has the table and scenery to boot.....

But I'm not taking it serious, just pisses me off when people tell me I'm not a real wolf player cause I only use Primaris units....... 

I have no  idea where you live but if you lived anywhere close to me you would have a place at home table and invited to play whatever you wanted as long as it was  a legal list. I hate that you have to deal with someone like that. Playing a SW Successor does not make you WAAC. That person doesn't even know what the phrase means frankly. 

I would say that if you are restricting yourself to Primaris units for fluff reasons, that is pretty much the opposite of WWAC. It means you are choosing to miss out on some powerhouse units like Thunderwolf Cavalry, cheap Rhinos, Razorbacks and Drop pods and several good characters.

Sounds like this guy must be a bit of an un-fun opponent. I hope you still manage to enjoy your games and good luck finding some fresh (and friendly) opposition.

Just ignore the theater from them. Not worth your energy. It's your money, your army, your looks. Just be respectful. Remember it's a game, and take the high road.

Having said that, crusade rules are by far my favorite addition to this edition. You have to look at each unit and plan for low points with an army you will stick with all the way to high point games. It *could* be unbalanced with fewer people but it's so easy to upgrade some units.

I find it incredibly flavorful and fun. Slightly off topic, but related.

It sounds a bit like he doesn’t want you using Primaris because he thinks your army will be easier against his Newcrons without them?

I personally get tired of all the dumb side comments people make - but tribalism is alive and well even in tabletop gaming.

I am sorry, but I have to agree with the necron player. You are not a true Space Wolve. I mean he insulted you and you did not rip his throat out with your fangs or at least challenged him to a fight to the death. 

Yea well now I'm sorry but i have to inform you that you could be playing anything but 1ksons and and as long as your blind drunk on mead you have Fenris in your heart. :censored:  the naysayers, roll dice, take pelts.

I feel like in your situation you have 3 choices assuming you want to keep playing him.

1) switch armies for a game, the list he ran in your first thread was rough. Relying on a block of warriors with short range is a really bad strategy in a progressive mission against an assualt army. Just give him a list of what you have and look through his collection for the scary stuff. This is probably the best option if you can get him to do it, learning xenos armies can be tougher and he doesn't seem like the type to research things. So show him what units are good against you.

2) Run a first born army of wolves, it's not going to be an easier game for him. Don't pull punches if you decide to do this, make the strongest list you can. You've been trying to tone down your lists and he should realize it by now. There is no reason to call you a WAAC player.

3) keep toning your list down. Run characters, troops, and maybe an impulsor with a dome (they aren't very good in small games because they don't have much offense and aren't cheap). You really shouldn't reward him like this because he won't learn anything its just the easy route.

There are other things you can try like more terrain that blocks LoS or using older missions I just don't know if that would help or hurt.

The internet means you are not isolated and forced to play people in your community only

There are online leagues etc.

I'm loving it since I found out about it...played more games the past 2 months than I did the last year or so

I can play a game at 6am PST with someone in europe and then start my normal work day at 9

This is the league I play in

https://www.tts40k.com/

You need a program called Tabletop Simulator (available on Steam for $19.99 currently)

You need to use discord to signup for leagues/pods and arrange games with your opponent

You need some basic files to get the models and maps everyone uses

After that you can make an army in battlescribe...port it over to the game...and play play play

Here is what an army I just made looks like

gallery_49686_16232_172363.jpg

Going to test drop pod assault with multi melta LFs and BCs

If your opponent is worried about game balance do what my group usually does. We exchange lists before the game days if possible in advance to let both people look it over. If my opponent really wants to try something out, great, I can bring something to play against it that would make the game fun. It takes both players not to simply counter list the other guy but this rarely happens.

The guys and gal I play with want friendly games that have fluff with some teeth in it. One of them calls it power fluff which I think is an accurate description. If your opponent is just upset that your list is too good against him then try to tone it down. 

Below is my 75 pl list I was going to use for our next game, if you guys could suggest some ways to tone it down, I'll try anything but I would rather stick to just primaris units since my wolf successor is a newly formed Primaris chapter.

HQ

Wolf Lord in Gravis Armor with MC Heavy Bolt rifle & MC power sword

Primaris Tech Marine

Troops

5 Intercessor w/ bolt rifles, grenade launcher & power sword

5 Intercessor w/ bolt rifles, grenade launcher & power fist

5 Intercessor w/ bolt rifles, grenade launcher & thunder hammer

Elites

Redemptor w/ heavy onslaught

Aggressors w/ boltstorm

Heavy support

5 hellblaster w/ heavy plasma 

5 eradicators w/ melta rifles

replusor executioner w/ mirco plasma

Thanks in adavance :biggrin.:  

Meant to reply earlier but I didn't have my codex with me and I don't use PL much.

Looking at the list you'd be a little over 75 pl (the extra eradicators take the unit from 6 pl to 12.)

If I were going to tone it down I think I would drop the aggressors and eradicators. Instead run 2 Impulsors with shield domes. You'll be better at scoring objectives but it'll take your offense down. In my experience most players don't mind losing if they feel like their army did more damage yours.