Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Cult Rising!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,833 posts

So I find myself with a partial (95%) painted army and was wondering how best to play it once it’s up and running.

I’m in complete unknown territory here having only ever used GSC in kill team. I’m in no way competitive and really don’t care about tournaments etc but I’d like to be able to at least do some damage in casual games and a crusade that my mate is starting up with a few of us soon. So here is what I have and if anyone could tell me what to add to my list so I can purchase them that would be great and what to drop. 

1 Patriarch and 2 familiars

1 Magus and 2 familiars

1 Magus

1 Primus

1 Kelermorph

1 Jackal Alphus

2 Acolyte Iconwards

1 Abominant

40 Neophyte Hybrids

20 Acolyte Hybrids

10 Aberants 

10 Brood Brothers & 2 Man Heavy Weapon

15 Purestrain Genestealers

5 Atalanta Jackals (1 squad)

1 Cult Armoured Sentinel

1 Cult Scout Sentinel

1 Goliath Rockgrinder

1 Leman Russ

1 Cult Chimera

I worked out the power level to be around 106ish so is that around 1000 points?

Not sure what cult I’m going to run them as yet. But I will do my own homebrew one I reckon.

I’ll add some pics tomorrow if I get time. 

Ulfast

Ulfast

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 538 posts

Welcome to the cult! Always nice to see a new member :) You have all ready a very good collection of model and I only see a couple of more things that you can add. I was thinking one more unit of bikes, 1 sanctus (I use the sniper one), a couple of ridgerunners and add some more acolytes. Otherwise you have a great collection.

• Axineton likes this

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,833 posts

Aha great stuff cheers mate. I may pick up a few bits today before the lockdown. 

Rogue

Rogue

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 951 posts
  • Faction: Red Brotherhood and Gorgons
Your estimate is a bit off - you've got around 2500 points of stuff there (including 750 in HQs alone, and another 650 in elites).

As Ulfast says, you can never have too many acolytes, and you're missing ridgerunners completely.

Some of the elite characters can be fun for adding flavour, like the biophagus if you want to lean into aberrants, or the sanctus for anti-psyker shenanigans, or the clamavus if you fancy the idea of ambushing onto the board and launching a wave of charges.

If you're looking to put a 2000 point list together, I'd probably lose some of the neophytes and/or brood brothers - I'm not sure you need 50 of them on the table.

And then trim down the HQ department. You have eight, and a battalion allows you three. Patriarch, Primus and Magus is a good combination (and allows them all to have a warlord trait). Or, alternatively, squeeze a heavy weapon squad out of the brood brothers for a third heavy support option and play a brigade, in which case you could keep the abominant alongside the aberrants.

Edited by Rogue, 04 November 2020 - 03:53 PM.

• Axineton likes this

sml_gallery_48988_15094_12010.png sml_gallery_48988_16024_10350.png sml_gallery_48988_15094_13535.png ETL_Medal_02.gif gallery_48988_15465_5689.png ETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gif

Painted this year: kellermorph, hypermorph, three jackals, five acolytes, ten neophytes; gravis captain

I have a very small Cult/math-hammer blog here: https://redbrotherho...ixsite.com/cult

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,833 posts

Cheers rogue! Wow I didn’t realise how much I had points wise. Blimey! Well today I bought a box of start collecting, a box of Atalan jackals and a Sanctus. I want 2 more ridgerunners I think. 

Ulfast

Ulfast

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 538 posts

That´s some very nice bought units. I think they will help you a lot. And they look great :)

• Axineton likes this

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,833 posts

Cheers mate. I also bought 2 ridgerunners last night from element games. I think that will do me for a while 

Ulfast

Ulfast

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 538 posts

Yes, three of those ridgerunner will indeed help you and you can max there use with certain strategem. Also very fun to paint and make. 

• Axineton likes this

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,833 posts

Another question: what loadout should I go for with the ridgerunners or do I do one of each? 

Rogue

Rogue

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 951 posts
  • Faction: Red Brotherhood and Gorgons
You can make the weapons interchangeable - there's a quick tutorial a few topics down. Out of the box you can have the mortar and one of the other two, or get an extra arm and have all three.

I'm liking the heavy laser at the moment - we don't tend to have a lot of ranged anti-tank firepower, so d3 S9 shots is nice. The mortar is an option too, but I have lots of ways to kill infantry already.

Depending on how serious your opponents are, I'd also suggesting making one of each and then simply saying 'Today they're all mortars', or whatever. But that may not fly everywhere.

sml_gallery_48988_15094_12010.png sml_gallery_48988_16024_10350.png sml_gallery_48988_15094_13535.png ETL_Medal_02.gif gallery_48988_15465_5689.png ETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gif

Painted this year: kellermorph, hypermorph, three jackals, five acolytes, ten neophytes; gravis captain

I have a very small Cult/math-hammer blog here: https://redbrotherho...ixsite.com/cult

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,833 posts

Yeah we’re all easy going so I’m sure they’d be fine with that. Cheers Rogue. 

Axineton

Axineton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,833 posts

So here’s the painted stuff I picked up last week. Not a fan of cork bases so I’ll probably rebase them all although I do like the vehicles on cork.

IiDHRtBl.jpg

ADvRx2kl.jpg

jKIf8wVl.jpg

C2R2WT6l.jpg

aFPPHb4l.jpg

0YPFODel.jpg

QYKtBARl.jpg

jyZRcxml.jpg

[img]https://i.imgur.com/...Veql.jpg[/[img]

9zzftZMl.jpg

aRuIilwl.jpg

p2s5Ngbl.jpg