Peltasts, Hoplites, Terrax - New FW Rules

DanPesci

So just been watching through this vid here which has some good shots of the 'new' admech FW rules.

24 min mark for admech.

Hoplites (12 pts per model - maybe, is hard to tell)

- Basically exactly the same as before except they can perform a 6" heroic intervention if they are within 6" of a <titan legion> titanic model

Peltasts (9 pts per model)

- Have lost ingis blaze shot

- Flechette now 18" assault 3, S4, AP0, D1

- Hammershot 24" heavy 1, S5, AP-2, D1

- Also gain the heroic intervention shtick if you happen to own a titan (lol)

Both peltasts & hoplites still get canticles but still dont get FW traits.

Terrax (180 points?)

- gained 4 more wounds (14 total)

- Now 3 attacks instead of 6, still hitting on 4+ at best (ouch)

- Drill is now D3+3 damage. Against vehicles is D3+6. No longer does additional mortals.

- Melta cutter is heavy 5 with modern melta rules

- Heavy flamers up to 12"

- Volkit chargers have gained the 6s to wound do mortal wound.

Only taken a quick look at the knight stuff as my eyes hurt after looking at the above haha (and i dont know my knight stuff too well), but the one change that seems to be made to a few of them is that their melee weapons are getting sweep attack equivalent, but lose their titanic feet option.

So atrapos now has 12 S6 -2 D3 lascutter 'sweep' attacks, instead of 12 S8 -2 Dd3 titanic feet attacks for example.

Edited by DanPesci

Oh. So it’s a nerf? Damn

Hope that’s not an indication of plastic knight nerfs

They need help now. Removing stomp and giving an inferior alternative doesn’t sound good. You sure sweep is S6?

Edited by Clingy

Oh. So it’s a nerf? Damn

Hope that’s not an indication of plastic knight nerfs

They need help now. Removing stomp and giving an inferior alternative doesn’t sound good. You sure sweep is S6?

EDIT - having reread - it looks like all the FW knights are still equipped with titanic feet, the profile just isnt listed as its non-unique, so you reference the knights dex for them. So now you get to choose!

Anyway, to steer this away from knights (as already a thread for them).

What do people think of the Terrax at 180 (?) points.

The drill is still scary (d3+3 or D3 + 6 against vehicles), but with only 3 WS4+ attacks (which degrades) its not really going to be hitting much (although 2 hits should smoke most vehicles/characters as itll wound on 2s against anything T7 or less)... 6 would have been obnoxious but giving it 4 would have been nice. I guess it still very much needs dealt with, and at T8 14 wounds, it needs some dedicated anti tank.

The flamers being 12" id say make them a more attractive choice than the volkite (unless you really need some D2 weapons) as it can now hit stuff out of deep strike.

The 12 transport capacity remains nice, as you can put 11 priests and a support character in there.

180 points is a substantial investment though.

The peltasts seem an ok choice still, same price as vanguard but with better S shooting (and the option to shoot longer range), with a 5++, but they do lose obsec and FW dogma (guess this depends on wether you are using the dogma on your vanguard to any effective amount.

No idea why they took the ignis shot away from them, its not like it was OP in any way. Even if theyd changed this to an ignore cover rather than an ignore LOS it would have been useful.

The hoplites if they are 12pts a model seem a bit pricey, and id rather shell out for priests. Their weapons only really become good against vehicles, and even then will struggle to wound them (and not like we dont have anti-vehicle capability elsewhere). 

Edited by DanPesci

I've had decent fun with Hoplites vs Tyranids (I need them in the army to pad my army points value). Replacing the Skorpius with a Drill and bringing a Dominus along could be interesting. They could probably do some decent damage to vehicles.

Edited by Magos Takatus

The Terrax is worth the points in my view as it has gained Canticles and the Skitarii keyword. This means it can now get all the canticles and benefit from things like th Omniescent Mask and the strat for +1 to hit in shooting or combat. So even though theres 3 attacks instead of 6 youve got more options. And the d3+3 is great to, most things will die once a wound goes through.

The Flamers and Stormbolters are free while the Volkites are 10. Flamers for 12" 2d6 S5 -1 1DMG or Volkites for 20" Heavy 8 S5 0AP and 2 DMG shots with mortals on 6s will be the way to go. I am gonna test out volkites tomorrow as with 8 shots 2DMG and mortals on 6s thats a real threat to Marines and vehicles

The Terrax is worth the points in my view as it has gained Canticles and the Skitarii keyword. This means it can now get all the canticles and benefit from things like th Omniescent Mask and the strat for +1 to hit in shooting or combat. So even though theres 3 attacks instead of 6 youve got more options. And the d3+3 is great to, most things will die once a wound goes through.

The Flamers and Stormbolters are free while the Volkites are 10. Flamers for 12" 2d6 S5 -1 1DMG or Volkites for 20" Heavy 8 S5 0AP and 2 DMG shots with mortals on 6s will be the way to go. I am gonna test out volkites tomorrow as with 8 shots 2DMG and mortals on 6s thats a real threat to Marines and vehicles

Ah awesome I hadnt noticed the implication of the keywords, that certainly makes the WS4+ way more palatable when you could be boosting that with a strat and rerollng 1s with the canticle (or getting shroudpsalm on it to make it even tougher).

Agree that flamers/volkites are the way to go depending on what you are needing (cheap screen or marine clearance).

And running it into a character whilst shouting "you remember me? Benny's the name!" is always good for a laugh :rolleyes: