Color for my new bases

Miek

Hi, I'm working on prototypes for my new bases and I have a good idea of what I want them to be composed of, but I'm not entirely sure of the colors I should choose. Which general base color do you think works best with the color scheme of the rightmost warrior?

gallery_225534_16617_554076.jpg

I have my idea but I'd really like to know your thoughts. If you have suggestions for variations please let me know!

P.s.: for the composition, the general idea is to show an abandoned synthetic floor covered by rubble. Imagine an abandoned factory floor of indestructible material.

I really like the idea for the base on the right-most model, but there's not enough contrast between the flooring and his feet, and they blend in a bit.  Maybe if it were rusty?

If I were to pick one as-is, I'd say the left-most one due to it having the most contrast, although I prefer the idea of the one on the right :blush:

As you've gone for quite a dark main scheme for your guys and have blue and red for your accent colours, I'd suggest trying a lighter brown for the bulk of the base and adding some small grass tufts as the green will break it up a bit visually.

Rik

I was indeed considering grass tufts from Army Painter.

Just as an FYI, the Army Painter tufts are re-badged MiniNatur tufts, so if you have a model train shop locally which stocks them, they may be cheaper.  Tajima1*  and Gamers Grass tufts are also nice (personally, I'd prefer them).  All 4 of those companies are based in Europe, though, so local availability and/or lead times may be an issue for you.

* they are also on e-Bay, which has better pictures

Thanks Rik! Lighter brown as in the leftmost base, or even lighter?

I was indeed considering grass tufts from Army Painter, I'll grab some from the store for my next test, thanks. Might not go for full green though... Might grab more than one box to try combinations.

The leftmost (Scarab) base I'd say looks about right. 

something like these tufts would work well I'd think https://www.mininatur.de/en/category-232/tufts-stripes/Karst-tufts-spring-737.html

Rik

I've just finished a third test (the scarab wasn't a test, just my current base scheme) with the scarab's brownish scheme, the synthetic floor and bits from our garden. My wife reminded me that it's Automn and that our street is named "Flowers Street" because of our house so there's plenty to choose from (have a few other types drying up):

med_gallery_225534_16617_387068.jpg

This one is mirrored (thought it would avoid confusion but it doesn't!):

med_gallery_225534_16617_16449.jpg

Thank you all! Comments remain more than welcome, but I'm really happy about the last one and I'll be able to vary a few things easily (ex.: greyish rock, bits of moss, bits of rust, different plants, etc.).

Edit: Latest one with the same lighting conditions as the opening post's picture:

med_gallery_225534_16617_197451.jpg

Edited by Miek