Sicaran Venator is a great unit for the Ultramarines.

Ishagu

A fast tank that now has a 2+ save, and comes in at 225 points with all relevant upgrades.

For us it can't be locked into combat, but importantly counts as standing still during the Tactical Doctrine. The main gun is Heavy 3, Str 12, AP-4, D6 damage. When standing still the damage is Flat 6.

So for us this has big damage with the main gun and two additional Las Cannons and heavy Bolter. The price is good, the movement is good, and it's a very worthwhile investment.

I would say one of these might arguably be a better than a single Contemptor.

Edited by Ishagu

How does the regular Sicaran look?

Like a better Predator.

The main gun on the regular variant is now 6 shots, str7, ap-2, 3 Damage.

I have one regular Sicaran but never painted it.  The main gun is the old Accelerator cannon? I just remember it was tuned against aircraft if I recall. 3 Damage isn't bad. And with the bump to Heavy bolters... it could work

• 2 weeks later...

TacticalTortoise just dropped a video detailing the Sicaran variants.

https://youtu.be/ONia46s6km8

The Omega looks like it’s a lot more versatile than the rest pt for pt wise. Ahh well, waiting on my two Sicaran Battle tanks, I live their look anyways. Maybe I’ll add the Omega later.

• 3 weeks later...

After watching the video I see the Omega Version is the best for playing but I do not play anymore so I may just get the Sicarian Battle Tank version later next year wen I have finished more of my pile of shame.    Stay well Brothers!    We will defeat this virus from the Death Guard! 

Mordas,

My pile of shame would full 2 complete UM companies plus a full company of Primaris.     I already have 1.5 UM Companies and still building the Fourth UM company.    I am no where as accomplished as many of our friends on this Forum in painting and weathering our items.    But it makes me happy and keeps me busy.      As far as UM armor I built over 20  UM various tanks but never fully painted them.    Note I have all the Primaris ones to do too.  :wallbash:     I am retired (66 years old) and like to build 1/48 and 1/35 scale armor when i get tired of doing UM stuff.  :yes:  :biggrin.:  , 

A fast tank that now has a 2+ save, and comes in at 225 points with all relevant upgrades.

For us it can't be locked into combat, but importantly counts as standing still during the Tactical Doctrine. The main gun is Heavy 3, Str 12, AP-4, D6 damage. When standing still the damage is Flat 6.

So for us this has big damage with the main gun and two additional Las Cannons and heavy Bolter. The price is good, the movement is good, and it's a very worthwhile investment.

I would say one of these might arguably be a better than a single Contemptor.

While the Venators neutron laser surely benefits from being UM, I think the Vindicator Laser Destroyer is overall a better choice for them (especially when you consider the current meta).

Most successfull UM lists revolve around buffings characters (BobbyG, Tigurius, SotO Chaplain, etc.) and a castle of shooty units, walking up the field. While the Venator has a higher movement characteristic, the first round devastator doctrin forces it to either stand still (falling behind the buff bubble) or majorly gimping its damage output. The Laser Destroyer on the other hand can move along the castle and still shoot overcharged first turn (with only a small chance of receiving a MW).

Offensive-wise the Venators S12 AP-3 (it is not -4 like you said) gun is better vs the (likely fewer) T6 4+/5+ vehicles, while the Laser Destroyers S10 AP-4 gun is better vs the (more prevalent) T7/8 2+/3+ vehicles. They are equal vs most other target profiles (mainly due to the fact that there are virtually no T10/11/12 units in the game)

Defensive-wise the Venators T7 2+ should be roughly equal to the Laser Destroyers T8 3+ but considering that many UM lists feature a 5++ bubble (Psychic Fortress) and that the current meta is heavily leaning towards S8 weaponry like Melta (Eradicators, Trikes) and Fist/Hammer, the T8 Laser Destroyer feels a little tougher.

But the by far most relevant quality of the Laser Destroyer is its Vindicator keyword, making it a legal ride for Chronus! With the benefit of a non-degeneration 2+ (which can be fully rerolled while within 12" of BobbyG) it is much more accurate than a Venator. With Chronus also transfering the Character keyword to its ride, the Laser Destroyer can even benefit from Tigurius Presience ability (-1 enemy to hit), adding much to its survivability.

Granted, the Venator has the advantage of optional/additional weapons but neither Heavy Bolters nor Lascannons are weapons I personally even consider when equiping a Tactical or Devastator so I dont feel like paying a 5pt premium for those weapons (on top of the 1CP for martial legacy) is an attractive option at all.