One Last Blade - Icosiel's Grey Knights Videos

Icosiel

Wow, I'd completely underestimated the durability of admech, those skitarii saving on 3+ versus storm bolters were obscene.

I do have to say though, I thought you'd set up a beautiful trap on turn 1, as half of his army took a toll on the interceptors and the other half lined up on the Grand Master with no other targets and the re-locate relic, I was expecting him to flip over behind Crowe ready to force that flank, but then you shifted him 3 inches, dodged one neutron laser and wore the rest of the shooting in the face.... What was the thinking there?

Wow, I'd completely underestimated the durability of admech, those skitarii saving on 3+ versus storm bolters were obscene.

I do have to say though, I thought you'd set up a beautiful trap on turn 1, as half of his army took a toll on the interceptors and the other half lined up on the Grand Master with no other targets and the re-locate relic, I was expecting him to flip over behind Crowe ready to force that flank, but then you shifted him 3 inches, dodged one neutron laser and wore the rest of the shooting in the face.... What was the thinking there?

I took Stranglehold, and so my goal was to hold that objective at all costs. I knew my GMNDK was tough and I didn't expect to roll all those 1s and 2s for saves, haha. I thought heavily about teleporting him somewhere else, but Toby didn't leave any room in his backline.

Admech are ridiculous right now. GW loves breaking things and this one they did a doozy on.

And people were complaining about the Words of Power / tide buff. ROFL really!!!!!

Edited by Grimlock

Just a few high level thoughts.

1 - When you pushed Icosiel over to use gate, you haven't given him anyone to look out sir with if all the interceptors and the GMNDK shunt/gate forwards, so he's probably going to die to a counter drop/indirect fire.

2 - In your vids you've always had more success (and seemingly fun) with a dreadnought than with the Chaplain - can you find the extra points and a slot for sanctuary somewhere else?

3 - If fighting Marines (or other mostly 2 wound) infantry,  try and give the falchion interceptors' target Empyric Amplification, it'll gain you more to make each falchion wound a kill than the extra wound from the other squads high D weapons that are probably already doing the job on anything else (unless they have damage reduction like death guard)

4 - Consider starting in Celerity and moving to convergence, remember if you move off convergence turn 2 for charges, you can't go back.

5 - Consider the Sigil's secondary use as a Gate you can do in the opponents shooting phase (before moving to cut down the charge distance) as well as a defensive move.

Edited by Cleon

A couple of things to consider.

• The GMDK might benefit from the Exactors warlord trait. It isn't generally useful, unless it is on a character that will be hanging around with 10 man squads, like your GMDK likely will. I could be work the 1 CP to give that big squad freedom from morale.
  • I'm 99% positive that psychic actions are not psychic powers so I'd bet you're out of luck there.
  • I admit, I hate GK chaplains, which sucks since it is one of the few models I've gotten painted. One ability on just a 3+ with no way to boost it is just pitiful. I strongly think he is our worst HQ and I'd replace him with anything else or a dreadnought.
  • Terminators are sexy. Rock on.

"I'm 99% positive that psychic actions are not psychic powers so I'd bet you're out of luck there".

Psychic actions are a 100% considered as psychic powers amd are affected by everything that affects psy powers. Only limitation being that it terminate your psy phase with that model immediatly.

This was FAQ

• The GMDK might benefit from the Exactors warlord trait. It isn't generally useful, unless it is on a character that will be hanging around with 10 man squads, like 

This is a really good line of thinking, and I like it a lot. Might encourage me to bring some big ten-man Terminator squads!

Very interesting:yes: Thanks for sharing this one Brother Icosiel. I wasn't familiar with Noobhammer. He's got a good relaxed friendly approach (much like yours) that I like and find easy to watch/listen. I'll be putting his on my list (very short:teehee:) of watchables.

....and, congratulations on your tournament placing. It's nice to know that in spite of a few downgrades with 9th ed. some of our old favorites are still viable.

Oof. And so ends the reign of the terrible dice. To be fair, those dice numbers that one of your viewers posted in the YT comments don't look as lopsided as I expected. Its just that wrong numbers tended to come up when you didn't need them to - highs on Morale checks and small charges, lows on actual combat rolls, extremes either way on Psychic tests, etc. Hopefully you'll remember to bring back your nifty OLB dice box next time, which seems to have completely vanished in this episode.

Also, that 1CP reroll when you had actually made the charge due to Tides of Celerity... *sigh*

Still, kudos to you for taking another loss on the chin, and to Aaron who seems like such a humble and honest player.

Edited by Oiad

Oof. And so ends the reign of the terrible dice. To be fair, those dice numbers that one of your viewers posted in the YT comments don't look as lopsided as I expected. Its just that wrong numbers tended to come up when you didn't need them to - highs on Morale checks and small charges, lows on actual combat rolls, extremes either way on Psychic tests, etc. Hopefully you'll remember to bring back your nifty OLB dice box next time, which seems to have completely vanished in this episode.

Also, that 1CP reroll when you had actually made the charge due to Tides of Celerity... *sigh*

Still, kudos to you for taking another loss on the chin, and to Aaron who seems like such a humble and honest player.

Yeah, I immediately realized that I was in Tide of Celerity after I rerolled that charge. I was honestly just in such a disparaging place at that point, haha.

Yeah, that game didn't really work out, besides the poor dice the Death Guard's disgustingly resilient was a hard counter to Nemesis force weapons and their characters just hung around. For me the big take away is you'd really not got any in game manoeuvrability once the Interceptors were ganked by the deepstike and died, really your normal bigger squad bouncing around tidying up the backfield could have been much more useful than the Purifiers, who seemed to really suffer from carrying last codexes staves.

More than anything else I think you really missed a Dreadknight, the high melee damage and extra speed (plus the teleport shunt), protected by his lack of shooting to ensure it gets where it's needed would have been so much more valuable in terms of both unique capability than the Dreadnought.  

Yeah, Simandus has definitely found his calling with the Vambrace and Gate of Infinity. Love to think that he gave the finger to the Bladeguard before teleporting out to snipe their tank.

Have to admit, I usually turn my nose-up at the Teleport Assault secondary but you made it work better than expected. How often to you regret the objectives you've selected?

Yeah, Simandus has definitely found his calling with the Vambrace and Gate of Infinity. Love to think that he gave the finger to the Bladeguard before teleporting out to snipe their tank.

Have to admit, I usually turn my nose-up at the Teleport Assault secondary but you made it work better than expected. How often to you regret the objectives you've selected?

I find that I often regret my secondary choices. The biggest mental block preventing me from becoming a competitive player is building my army with my secondaries in mind. All too often I build a list that I think works well or has a lot of synergy, but I never think about secondaries until literally the moment I have to choose them at the table.