One Last Blade - Icosiel's Grey Knights Videos

Icosiel

Congrats on your first year. Love the comical close-ups with the goofs. It was also great to see you delving into something we previously discussed; planning out your secondaries and using that to build your lists. I hope it worked out for you. Anyway, here's to the next twelve months!

*raises whisky tumbler*

Congrats on your first year. Love the comical close-ups with the goofs. It was also great to see you delving into something we previously discussed; planning out your secondaries and using that to build your lists. I hope it worked out for you. Anyway, here's to the next twelve months!

*raises whisky tumbler*

Genuinely a fantastic idea. I think it's going to help my listbuilding dramatically.

Is this video a stealth application for a narrator role at Black Library's audiobooks? Either that or you've seen Baldermort's Guide to Warhammer and felt he could do with some healthy competition.

:biggrin.:

Seriously, the hype is real. Can't wait for the campaign.

That is incredible praise! Haha. I am no where near as good as Baldermort. He is a legend.

Looking forward to this. Have been wondering whether you and Rick will have to play each other in a fight for Grey Knight supremacy! :biggrin.:

Which will be first; your tournament video or part three of the campaign?

Bro, I hate to be the one to point this out Crowe has only 5 wounds.

Yeah, so close. For once, it seemed like most of the dice rolls were going Icosiel's way. However, all those MWs on Crowe at the end meant he should be a dead man.

Hey Icosiel, has the third campaign match already been played?

Edited by Oiad

You have no idea how much it pained me to say that. I think your content is great and watching your dice be as bad as mine makes me feel less alone. My only advice would to be a bit more careful with your characters. You play aggressively, but try to fight the enemy where they're not more often and try to play the odds a little better.

In that Tyranid game u gated both the paladins and draigo which cut them off from the group and was essentially a death sentence. Same with dreadknight, if it killed that giant psychic Tyranid brain it would have been totally worth it. But he didn't and got mulched. The odds of him killing the thing versus getting mulched were not great.

By starting that much stuff in deep strike u are limiting the number of choices ur opponent has to shoot at on turn 1/2 depending on who goes first, while also severely limiting your options. U want stuff like paladins that are super tanky with armored resilience (also, no point in putting sanctuary on them as only AP -4 would actually trigger the invul) on your front line, not running around Willy nilly getting swarmed by 'Nids. Which also goes for the dreadknight, u want to make use of it's awesome guns for more than a turn, and then he can assault into the enemy and see what happens, after shooting/more disposable units have softened the enemy and gives u a better chance of success.

I know it's how u have them modeled, idk if u can switch that hammer termy squad to paladins as the 2+ and extra attack makes them very effective with the hammer. Just my two sense on that.

In summary, your videos are really entertaining and I genuinely look forward to the next one the way I would a T.V.show that I like. U have great camera presence and great banter with ur brothers/friends. Three peices of advice: (1) try and fight the enemy where they are not as much as possible. Use the interceptors to do stuff like rod or engage or purify an objective. Don't spend 2 CP to make them an easy target. Same goes for gate.

(2) Plan for failure, when you start expecting to fail every roll you start see how you can overcome it. I feel like i've seen you do some crazy things with just a few models left. I think it's more important in our army to keep cool, accept when the dice don't go out way and think about moving forward, instead of blowing all the CP because we just want something to go off. I think your first game with the new codex against Gram you exemplified this strategy. His dice were way better than yours but u didn't get frustrated, stuck to the plan and pulled out the W.

(3) don't put that many units in deep strike, especially units like paladins and dreadknights that can take a licking and keep on ticking. You want your opponent to be forced to shoot at his worst option.

Edit: I feel like a giant a hole after watching ur last video. I think ur Zen attitude is great, and ironically will lead to more wins. I hope u don't mind the unsolicited play advice.

Edited by Grand Master Asterius

Tournament recap, and my thoughts on competitive play:

Just watched your video. Congrats! With your preference to story-adherent list-building, you did really great. It's especially impressive considering you went up against Orks and AdMech. The game where you used the Psylance stratagem sounded amazing! It's definitely the unusually close games that get remembered. Also, commiserations on the tacos.

As for your work, just keep on releasing the kind of content you want to. Game reports are all well-and-good but you should also feel free to put out more videos where you're showing us your collection or just want to talk. They may not be your most highly-viewed videos but usually it's great to have new content regardless.

Edited by Oiad

I'm with you on competitive gaming. Every time I do well at a local event I get accused of using the big thing at the time (conscript blobs in early 8th, knights when they were big, Grey Knights now, etc.) and I'm just there stumped and thinking, "Guys, you tabled this exact army two months ago." I just want to have some fun and play great players. Maybe, if I've ever got free time, paint some minis. 

You know, have fun.

I'm with you on competitive gaming. Every time I do well at a local event I get accused of using the big thing at the time (conscript blobs in early 8th, knights when they were big, Grey Knights now, etc.) and I'm just there stumped and thinking, "Guys, you tabled this exact army two months ago." I just want to have some fun and play great players. Maybe, if I've ever got free time, paint some minis. 

You know, have fun.

The 40k community has the memory span of a goldfish, sometimes. Remember for the majority of 8th edition when Space Marines were one of the worst armies in the game? IT was laughable how bad they were. But now when I talk to anyone in the hobby, they're always like, "oh, GW's always gotta make their poster boys the best army. Damn Space Marines, ruining the meta."

Icosiel, I meant to comment on your last video......

Honestly you never came off to me as someone who plays 40K to win. The mindset of a very competitive player is very different. Usually (not always) the hyper competitive armies are painted to a bare minimum with marine armies especially comprising of non-descript colours to play any chapter of the month. 

I have no problem with this. I think the first time I won a larger tournament that was the last time I cared to truly win a tournament. It's a bit boring for me, a little one dimensional. I think GW sees 'us' as the majority. The competitive crowd is a vocal minority so don't let that side of the game make you feel any pressure towards having a set type of content. 

I think looking at your lists since I started watching your videos it's been apparent you aren't there to crush someone. You take great pride in your mini's, spend the time to know the background, and enjoy the hobby in general. I think you're exactly what GW hopes to have as a customer; the complete hobbyist who knows the genre. 

On a personal note, I will say I do enjoy tournaments though, but it's for a completely different reason. 

I enjoy your content, and it's never been because you presented a competitive persona. Keep having fun with the hobby and the game!

Icosiel: Dustin brings the brains, I bring the...

Everyone else: ...unlucky dice rolls?.. :tongue.:

Seriously, good luck on your venture. Really looking forward to all the videos you'll be shooting there.

EDIT: Darnit! Misspelling names again. Guess that's my trait. :D

Edited by Oiad