One Last Blade - Icosiel's Grey Knights Videos

Icosiel

I managed to get a game in this week! We tried out the new mission that was previewed on WarCom. It was a lot of fun!

Two of my favourite 40k armies going head-to-head. And for once the Night Lords list isn't rubbish! Really enjoyed this one.

An interesting game - one that highlighted a lot of things I don't like about the current ruleset.

While in the game it worked out for you, the idea that it's a good choice to have a unit of Grey Knight terminators do an objective action, be locked in combat during shooting and then only score 2 wounds in melee (all the drake had left) to claim some extra victory points instead of smiting the heldrake away, having a bonus bolter volley at the Chaos marines and then charging and hammering to death an unwounded heldrake just sticks in the throat as 'not very 40k'

Secondly the way the melee interrupt strategm wrecks well co-ordinated strikes from melee focussed armies - the Night Lords having to choose between getting the Warp Talons or the Disco Lord wrecked turn 2 (or holding the talons back for a turn) sucks as a gameplay experience - why bother taking a melee focussed force if you risk only being able to charge once per turn without running straight into your opponents swords if they also bring a melee capable force.

Other than that I don't know if it was you starting with all your models on the table, or being on the other side of the '2 wound marines v 1 wound marines' compared to your older games v Primaris but your army felt stronger in comparison to your opponents than usual.  

An interesting game - one that highlighted a lot of things I don't like about the current ruleset.

While in the game it worked out for you, the idea that it's a good choice to have a unit of Grey Knight terminators do an objective action, be locked in combat during shooting and then only score 2 wounds in melee (all the drake had left) to claim some extra victory points instead of smiting the heldrake away, having a bonus bolter volley at the Chaos marines and then charging and hammering to death an unwounded heldrake just sticks in the throat as 'not very 40k'

Secondly the way the melee interrupt strategm wrecks well co-ordinated strikes from melee focussed armies - the Night Lords having to choose between getting the Warp Talons or the Disco Lord wrecked turn 2 (or holding the talons back for a turn) sucks as a gameplay experience - why bother taking a melee focussed force if you risk only being able to charge once per turn without running straight into your opponents swords if they also bring a melee capable force.

Other than that I don't know if it was you starting with all your models on the table, or being on the other side of the '2 wound marines v 1 wound marines' compared to your older games v Primaris but your army felt stronger in comparison to your opponents than usual.  

Thanks for all your feedback, Cleon! I agree about your point on Counter-offensive. Jon was lamenting the fact that his turn two ambush was cut from groin to chin all because I interrupted. There's something to be said for how much of an upset that can be.

So, can we expect 'One Last Khopesh' to be a hot-tub stream (given Graham's hinted connections) where he invites Chaos players on to snark about Imperialists, while trading tips on where to get short-sleeved shirts? Hmmm, that sounds like heresy but I bet it would get quite a few subscribers.

As for your AMA, I've been meaning to ask you a question about your collection: How many FW models do you have?

Edited by Oiad

So, can we expect 'One Last Khopesh' to be a hot-tub stream (given Graham's hinted connections) where he invites Chaos players on to snark about Imperialists, while trading tips on where to get short-sleeved shirts? Hmmm, that sounds like heresy but I bet it would get quite a few subscribers.

As for your AMA, I've been meaning to ask you a question about your collection: How many FW models do you have?

How many FW models do I have? Ohhhh, hm. Less than you'd think, more than I should.

Congrats on finally getting the best of the Eldar. To be fair to Dustin, he's quite the talented player considering he's often winning with a codex that is over four years old. Looking forward to seeing what he'll do with the new codex.

Really liking how your new Speakeasy space is shaping up. How long will it be before it's open to the public?

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on finally getting the best of the Eldar. To be fair to Dustin, he's quite the talented player considering he's often winning with a codex that is over four years old. Looking forward to seeing what he'll do with the new codex.

Really liking how your new Speakeasy space is shaping up. How long will it be before it's open to the public?

We're hoping February!

The army looks more potent with all/most of it on the board in turn 1 - glad it's working for you. Personally I don't like purifying ritual, compare how those psychic powers were used in your game against Eldar (is that Dustin?) to focus smite down the Wraithlord instead of hanging back on objectives casting for points, I just don't know in the current 'always scoring' meta of the game what you can do to avoid that and still rack up the points to win. On the other side it seems to me the biggest problem your brother had was too much mental energy being drained keeping score of summoning, spare models and reserve points leading to not realising quickly enough a swithc to 'plan b' was needed.

You seem to be settling into the codex really well. Some viewers may say that a Tzeentch daemon army is not the most competitive army to train against but your brother is great at conjuring up interesting narratives and always makes for a fun opponent to watch.

With your focus on the upcoming tournament, are you putting the conclusion to Hexfire campaign on hold, or are planning to release it later this month?

Also, what do you think of the new Ordo Malleus Inquisitor? I know you're not a big fan of named characters but are you still planning to pick one up?

Edited by Oiad

The Emperor's Spears are on the channel this week!

Oof...that first turn shooting against you was rough to watch. Pretty much put you on the back foot the entire game.

Do you think it would have been a better idea to put your Dread Knights behind cover to begin with and at least try and give your opponent more difficult shots? 

Edited by OldManKryder

This is part of the issue at the moment - when a Primaris force properly buffed up turns up and has a few lucky rolls the sheer number of guns is devastating. A Redemptor Dread with plasma, missile pod & gatling throws out a lot of fire, but is swingy, when you start giving them masses of re-rolls and buffs they become obnoxious and it's ommon to see multiples.

The Emperor's Spears are on the channel this week!

Oof...that first turn shooting against you was rough to watch. Pretty much put you on the back foot the entire game.

Do you think it would have been a better idea to put your Dread Knights behind cover to begin with and at least try and give your opponent more difficult shots? 

My thought process there was, "well, he's just gonna spend time repositioning to get a line on them. I might as well not hinder my movement if I survive the first salvo."

That sucks, is that the end of LVO, or is there a hope it clears in time? (not sure what the travel rules are over there...) - hopefully the rest of the group hasn't got it too and has it drip out over the next few days.

As for the game, I do just prefer the way the army runs when you can let loose the smite train instead of spending a lot of spells purifying objectives - just need to take a breath at the start of the psychic phase and do the powers in 're-roll if I fail' order like you do with charges.

One rules question, around 1 hour 6 minutes, the combat phase. 

Dradnought and terminators charge, dreadnought strikes, then patriach fights first, then you offer him the chance to interrupt.. Doesn't he have to let you have a turn before he can interupt becaue the strikes first was basically an interrupt? or am I misunderstanding how all that stuff interacts now?