WarriorFish paints... a Black Templar

WarriorFish

As part of my ongoing series crusade to paint up various chapters of renown it's time I added a Black Templar :smile.: I'm preparing a small collection of chapters for priming so hopefully I'll be able to get started on him soon:

gallery_30308_10604_17384.jpg

Aside from being pretty cool anyway, Black Templars have been a long feature for me in various forms since 4th Ed. I have the appropriately named Black Templar Contrast to try out as a different approach to my usual black methods, but any tips or suggestions will be welcome of course :smile.: This extends to appropriate markings and the like - if I'm going to do a Templar he should be done properly :wink:

The markings and such would very much depend on what your Templar is. Is he a normal crusader squad member? A sword brother (veteran)? A castellan(Lieutenant)? Since its a one off project, my guess is your typical crusader squad member. 

So you'll likely go to with the standard white pauldrons, black symbol and rim. Squad number on the right kneepad. Maybe a crusade marking on one leg. But there's no structured company structure so no company markings like in a codex chapter.

The Black Templar is nice I've found, I use it for a few things, it needs a couple of coats to get a nice covering so it's a bit like a normal paint in this regard. Though I do generalise them as part wash, part paint so maybe that works out :tongue.:

I've got an idea for which paint I will try on the black highlighting, but the Apothecary White turned out ok. It probably needs to be contrasted by some other colours on the model though, but if not it won't be too much trouble to repaint with a normal white.

gallery_30308_10604_8947.jpg

What sort of colour is best for the robe? I'm thinking a lighter colour, they're usually a bone sort of colour almost?

For robes I've seen just bone, bone exterior and red interior, black exterior and red interior, and full red depending on the model, red tends to indicate veterans so if you want him to be a sword brother then incorporate red otherwise just plain bone would be good

In terms of whites, I was long an advocate of Celestra Grey base, then onto Ulthuan Grey with a white scar highlight.

However, I have to say, Corax White is very good. It covers really well, but is still off white enough to take a white highlight. A far superior paint to Ceramite White.

I do both my shoulder pads and robes with cold whites, albeit with different recipes.

Both start with a few thin coats of Corax White, then robes get heavily shaded with Apothecary White, then glazed up with Corax White and White Scar to give really smooth highlights. Pads get layered up to pure even White Scar (yes, it is a total PITA to do) then pin washed with thinned Nuln Oil, heavier towards the bottom of the pad, to represent buildup of grime in the crevices.

Here's an example of how both those techniques look on the same model:

fFLnaOW.jpg