Saga of the drop pod assault (saga has ended after 2 RTTs)

TiguriusX

With our new codex I have whipped up a new list to test

I will be using drop pods for the first time ever

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [109 PL, 10CP, 2,000pts] ++
+ Configuration [12CP] +
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]
Detachment CP
+ Stratagems [-1CP] +
Trophies of Fenris [-1CP]: Trophies of Fenris - 1 Extra Relic [-1CP]
+ HQ [18 PL, 345pts] +
Captain [5 PL, 105pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist [10pts], Storm shield [10pts]
Captain on Bike [8 PL, 160pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master [2 PL, 40pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist [10pts], Storm shield [10pts], Twin boltgun, Warlord
Chaplain [5 PL, 80pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Boltgun, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate
+ Troops [18 PL, 272pts] +
Blood Claws [6 PL, 90pts]
. 4x Blood Claw [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Blood Claw Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades
. Blood Claw Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades
Grey Hunters [6 PL, 92pts]: Astartes Chainsword [1pts]
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader [19pts]: Astartes Chainsword [1pts], Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Frag & Krak grenades
. 4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
+ Elites [40 PL, -1CP, 770pts] +
Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 2x Bladeguard Veteran [70pts]: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted Power Sword, 2x Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran Sgt [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield
Company Champion [4 PL, -1CP, 80pts]: Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chapter Champion [1 PL, 25pts], Combat shield, Frag & Krak grenades, Martial Exemplar, Master-crafted power sword, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]
Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 140pts]: Great Wolf Claw, Multi-melta [5pts]
Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 175pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [33pts]: Storm bolter, Storm shield
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [38pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Storm bolter
. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader [38pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Storm bolter
Wulfen Dreadnought [7 PL, 135pts]
. Great Wolf Claw and Blizzard Shield [15pts]
. . Blizzard Shield [10pts]: Blizzard shield [5pts], Heavy flamer [5pts]
. . Great Wolf Claw [5pts]: Great Wolf Claw, Heavy flamer [5pts]
+ Fast Attack [2 PL, 30pts] +
Cyberwolves [1 PL, 15pts]
. Cyberwolf [15pts]: Teeth and claws
+ Heavy Support [17 PL, 333pts] +
Eradicator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]: Melta rifle
. 2x Eradicator [80pts]: 2x Bolt pistol
. Eradicator Sgt [40pts]: Bolt pistol
Long Fangs [11 PL, 213pts]: Armorium Cherub [5pts]
. Long Fang [38pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta [20pts]
. Long Fang Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades
. . Boltgun and Bolt Pistol: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
+ Dedicated Transport [14 PL, 250pts] +
Drop Pod [4 PL, 70pts]: Storm bolter
Razorback [6 PL, 110pts]: Twin heavy bolter
++ Total: [109 PL, 10CP, 2,000pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
Background that went into the list being created
I have been experimenting with many list types and the #1 problem I have noticed is we lack mobility compared to the other top armies.
-Harlequins (entire army is fast and they have twilight path as cherry on top)
-Whitescars (advance and charge/shoot is a big deal)
-AdMech (if you haven't seen a Serberys Raider yet you are lucky...hate those guys)
SW can kill enemy units just fine...but we can't react fast enough to get from point A to point B. The armies I listed above are able to score a ton of primary objective points and focus their combat to surgically pick us apart and pull us off objectives
As a result I found all my prior armies failed to compete well in the primary objective game with them.
In early versions of my lists I tried using scorpius artillery to counter the primary objective problem. I would try to shoot them off objectives I couldn't reach while I focused on mid board instead. In theory it sounded good and if I went first it worked. When I went second I got gobbled up by the speed. They had too many ways to get in and shut the artillery down turn 2 at the latest. I then had to devote too many resources guarding my back artillery line and started losing the mid field board control.
This new list is a direct reaction to that problem...the goal is IMMEDIATELY turn the game into a nasty battle of attrition and bog down my opponent in their DZ if possible. There are no spread out surgical precision battles if I have flooded your DZ. You can't use speed to your advantage when I make your DZ the contested area of the board.
The secondary goal is to generate a lead in the primary objective points while all this fighting is going on
In an ideal scenario we take their deployment objective and get 15 points while the opponent gets 0
We take advantage of the fact that blood claws are OBSEC and just flood his objective immediately
If we can keep up the pressure for 1 or 2 more turns we have it wrapped up and secondary points don't even matter
The "trick" in this list is slamming drop pods in their face for a turn 1 alpha strike.
This can only be done by firstborn marines.
The combo requires CP...lots of CP
2 CP for auto chanting the canticle of hate
1 CP for keen senses
1 CP for outflanking the reinforcements
5 CP will probably go to max WL/relics as well
Turn 1 you likely have 4 CP only and I would save those for fighting on death or interrupting combat during your opponent's turn when they respond to your drop force

How the army works

Drop Pod 1
Long Fangs
Chaplain
Captain
Champion
Drop Pod 2
Blood claws 1
Blood claws 2
Strategic reserve is likely to be used on the Venerable Dread
gallery_49686_16232_386273.jpg
If I get 1st turn I have the option to slam my opponent in the face
Everything can be deployed to get full aura bonuses
Make sure to leave room for blood claws 1 and 2 to move just in case there is a failed charge
Notice I left a 2" gap for the blue squad pack leader to walk through if red squad fails
Shooting
Long fangs use KEEN SENSES
Long fangs use SIGNUM to give BS+1 to one of the multi-meltas
Long fangs use the cherub to have the BS+1 multi-melta fire a 2nd time
12 total multi-melta shots total
8 at BS3 and 4 at BS2
Reroll 1s with the captain
Charging
The chaplain spends 2 CP and auto chants canticle of hate
Everyone needs 7" charges
The champion gives reroll charges within 6"
Each blood claw unit has 21 S4 AP1 D1 attacks (42 total)
The champion has 6 S7 AP3 D3 attacks
The captain has 5 S8 AP3 D2 attacks
This drop force should be able to mulch any infantry...whether it be horde or elite
The champion/captain can chew through heavy targets and blood claws can blender light infantry real easy
The goal should also be to consolidate onto their objective when finished
Expect this entire force to die eventually...but if they don't you have a huge advantage
Also...I don't expect the chaplain to charge in...he can stay alive using the LFs and 2 drop pods as look out sir protection
If the chaplain lives to turn 2 you can get a massive boost from reinforcements
Turn 2...reinforcements
The terminators arrive and use a CP for 20 BS2 stormbolters to clear more chaff targets
If the opponent tried to leave the DZ he has nowhere to go
The biker chapter master and 2xWulfen dreads should be CLOSE after 2 turns and potentially in charge range
The venerable dread provides another source of BS2 melta and has a claw to threaten melee as well
While all of that is happening the other forces in the army should be sitting on objectives (razorback/GHs and bladeguard vets and cyber wolves)
If this army does NOT get first turn then consider dropping the drop pod force on the mid field objectives instead of the enemy deployment zone. The game becomes a fight over the middle instead of their DZ
WL traits/relics
You can go wild with the list because it doesn't rely on the characters having specific combos
I am going to experiment with pelt of the balewulf and saga of the bear on the drop pod captain...makes him hard to kill I hope
The thunderlord gets saga of the hunter + an extra trait (rites of war for obsec or a combat trait to go bonkers) and the armor of russ (combined with his SS he has a 1+ natural save)
Champion has to get both the WL trait and relic to make the drop pod force work though
As I field test this army I will put my batreps here
Field test #1
Vital Intel v. Tyranids
(map is shown in the post game spoiler section)
I don't know the exact list but it was a monster mash testing the new Harridon flying monsters
His list
Harridon (700 points fly and hard to hit with T8 and 5++...16 shots with S10 D3 gun as well)
Swarm Lord
2xExocrines
Neurothrope
Hive tyrant with wings (Flyrant)
Lictor
Rippers
And I think 5 groups of termagants to round it out
I choose the following secondaries:
Deploy scramblers
Bring it down
Engage on all fronts
My battle plan is experiment and see what works...this is a new list and casual.
I will see how well the LF combo performs and fire at the biggest baddest thing his army has
BATREP
I win the roll to go first
TURN 1
I leave the bladeguard vets to guard the DZ objective and plant their scrambler and everything surges forward
Wulfen dreads advance and use cover to avoid the exocrines. 1 goes left and 1 goes right...bike lord goes left as well
Eradicators advance and hugged walls on the left flank
Eradicators have no turn 1 shots because of his safe deployment and lack of range
1 cyber wolf advances and reaches the far left objective on the left side
The other cyberwolf joins the bike lord and eradicators hugging a wall for cover near the midleft objective on the left side
Razorback drives forward into midfield and kills a handful of termagants with shooting
My drop pods come in on the 2 objectives on the right side...1 pod on each objective
I am 23" away from his Harridon so I have multi-melta shots. I also have obscuring cover preventing his exocrines from returning fire
I pop all my combos
LF get 11 hits after rerolls
Only managed 4 wounds (T8 is a big deal...)
He saves 1
After rolling 3 dice I get 5-1-1 and only 7 damage goes through
No point with CP reroll because he has the double wounds before being brackted rule in effect
Basically a whole lot of nothing...I couldn't line up shots on his exocrines either because they are too far back from where my I can land and have obscuring terrain protecting them
In the charge phase I fail with BC1 into the nearest termagants
I succeed with BC2
I decide NOT to send any characters because they will just get obliterated...they stay between the pod and the obscuring terrain to prepare for a turn 2 charge
My simple 5 man BC squad kills 14/15 termagaunts (21 attacks hitting on 2 is real nice)
I end my turn
I am standing on 4/6 objectives
I score engage with 3 corners
His turn the Harridon flies out and annihilates the eradicators and all but 1 LF...no shot of killing it now with shooting
His exocrines blow up my razorback and kill the BC that had charged in
My GH lose 1 man as they hop out of the dead vehicle
His big move is massive double move for his Flyrant all the way to my bladeguard vets
He slaughters them in melee and takes my home objective away
He has also advanced a unit of termagants to take the midleft objective and another unit is right behind them pushing towards the far left objective
His termagants kill the cyber wolf on the far left objective
He ends his turn
TURN 2
His moves dropped me down to 2 objectives so I only score 5 points to begin my turn
My chaplain chants canticle of hate on his own
I decide my new battle plan is kill all his little bugs and dominate the primary objectives
I push my DP force forward on the right flank with the chaplain bonus in effect. I have 7 inch charges lined up to his next closest unit of termagants. If I can wipe them in melee I can consolidate into the closest exocrine
The right flank wulfen advances and is now at the drop pods standing on an objective hiding from the exocrines LOS...he will be able to charge in on turn 3
GH in the middle walk forward and line up shots on the nearest termagants
Wulfen dread on the left flank turns around and heads back to my DZ to fight the Flyrant. I have enough movement to stand on my objective and contest it. I have a simple 5 inch charge as well
Bike lord moves onto the far left objective and I deep strike my terminators within 3" for look out sir protection
Venerable dread walks on next to the terminators as well
Last cyberwolf walks onto the mid left objective...if I can kill off his termagants I will hold the objective
In my shooting phase the far right blood claws pistol the last survivor of termagant squad #1 and he dies
I use the venerable dread to fire at the Harridon with melta and the midleft termagants with SBs
He saves the only wound I manage with melta
I kill 4/10 termagants
The GH rapid fire into the midleft termagants and kill all of them...this makes me happy...I intentionally chose GH instead of BC for the long range of bolters and the AP from tactical doctrine
I have cleared him and stolen the midleft objective now
My terminators spend 1 CP and have 20 BS2 SB shots. They annihilate his other termagant squad and I have total domination of this board quarter now...he has nothing near the 2 left side objectives.
My last remaining LF puts 4 damage onto an exocrine
My wulfen dread that ran back to my DZ flames his Flyrant and gets 3 damage through
I decide NOT to charge my wulfen dread into his Flyrant. I am currently contesting the objective and denying him ANY primary points. If I charge in and die he gets points.
On the far right flank I get my captain and BCs in.
There is a hilarious moment where the champion fails both his rolls and then the chaplain fails both his rolls. We joke they are good buddies and refused to leave the other behind. In reality they are both standing in the open waiting to be shot by exocrines...
The blood claws with a reroll aura from the captain absolutely blender the entire squad of termagants and then consolidate into his nearest exocrine
I end my turn holding 5/6 objectives
I score engage with 4 corners
I did NOT have the luxury of deploying scramblers though
His turn 2
He has 1 unit of termagants in his DZ and just big monsters remaining...not much to move anymore
He smites 3/5 Blood claws but I am still touching his exocrine
He smites 4 wounds off the wulfen dread near his flyrant
His flyer goes into my DZ and kills 1 GH and all of my terminators
He rolled a ton of 1's to wound the GHs. Basically 3/4 GHs survive when they should have been absolutely annihilated...the loss of all the terminators makes him happy though
Lictor arrives in my DZ to earn him an engage point
Rippers arrive near my far right wulfen dread...he needs to remove me from objectives
Exocrine#1 in combat kills off the last BCs with shooting and then the solo LF with his 2nd shot
Exocrine#2 fires 2 volleys into my chaplain and fails to kill him. I use a CP to 4++ the last 2 damage shot and survive with 2 wounds
He charges into my DZ wulfen dread and I overwatch with double flamers to put 3 more wounds on him
I take 1 hit which does 4 damage flat. However I have duty eternal so the wulfen survives with 1 wound remaining
I drop his flyrant down to 2 with my return combat
Over in his DZ the swarmlord charges into my captain with bear and pelt of balewulf
He leaves the captain at 1 wound after his attack
Captain is able to put a few PF wounds on him in return...I miss not having touch of the wild right about now
He ends his turn
Turn 3
I hold 4 objectives and score 15 primary points
My wulfen dread on the far right walks up to the rippers and sets them all on fire...then he charges in and slices up the few survivors
My chaplain and champion decide to make their charge into the swarmlord this time...they drop him to 2 wounds (I need 5's to wound but b/c he is a character the champion rerolls...made a huge difference)
My bike lord advances 20" all the way back to my DZ to help the wulfen finish the flyrant...saga of the hunter on a bike....yeee haw!!!
I punch the flyrant to death with my PF after freezing him with the armor of russ (needed to let the combat in his DZ happen first)
At this point my opponent concedes
I have crippled his ability to score any primaries and he notes there is no way he can catch up even if he tables me
Post game
gallery_49686_6333_20373.jpg
gallery_49686_6333_323000.jpg
Both of us were experimenting with lists here
I asked what he thought of my list and changes he would make
He said he feels my list is a win harder list...not a take all comers. If I get 1st turn those DPs are going to punish someone. But if I go 2nd I may not have many options
His other advice is remove the venerable dread and add more eradicators
It is definitely feedback I need to think on
As for my intention with the list...worked exactly as I hoped
By putting extreme pressure on his DZ and stopping his ability to score I was able to decide the game early
Most of my prior games I felt I had to scratch and claw for 5-10 primary points
In this game I felt 10-15 would just happen naturally with the flow of the game and how my army was positioned
Also..I love this wulfen dread loadout...double flamer and great wolf claw is worth the points
For a unit without "core" the wulfen dread is still a reliable monster
Reroll charges
Hitting on 2s then rerolling all wounds for flat D3 damage is powerful
Edited by TiguriusX

I too have been running Drop pods. Though personally its a mix of Pods and Thunderwolves, (and Suppressors of course). Though I must say, dropping a wulfen dread in a dreadnought pod has been hilarious (turn one charge with a great axe, don't mind if I do). 

And yes, it has been my experience that if you use drop podding wolves, the enemy tends to be stuck in their DZ. Now when my codex arrives (Sad it wasnt today, but I got my forge world book so hey hoe) I shall be looking at using a primaris Wolf preist on bike to really focus on a turn one charge with the tunderwolves, while the podding GH, BC and dreads offer support (and maybe charges). And the suppressors doing their thing to supress of course.  

Outflanking units can come in turn 1, provided you're using the Outflank ability... which we can now give to any infantry unit for 1 CP*. Drop Pods+Outflank makes for a nice hammer and anvil, and is a lot harder to counter deploy against than just using one of those.

*And since deployment is not part of the turn, you can outflank as many things as you have CP!

Outflanking units can come in turn 1, provided you're using the Outflank ability... which we can now give to any infantry unit for 1 CP*. Drop Pods+Outflank makes for a nice hammer and anvil, and is a lot harder to counter deploy against than just using one of those.

*And since deployment is not part of the turn, you can outflank as many things as you have CP!

Can outflanking units come in turn 1?

Is that a new rule?

The existing match play rules I know are only drop pods can arrive turn 1

Is that a new rule?

The existing match play rules I know are only drop pods can arrive turn 1

My mistake. GW decided to spread the rules for reserves all throughout the core rulebook, so I couldn't actually find the passage stating that Reinforcements, not just strategic reserves, cannot enter the battlefield turn 1.

Drop pod assault-Judiciar variant v Space Wolves (TWC)

Mission-Overrun

My list

Warlord-Chapter Master on Bike
*Chapter Command manually updated
++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [113 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts] ++
+ Configuration [12CP] +
**Chapter Selection**: Space Wolves
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]
Detachment CP
+ HQ [19 PL, 380pts] +
Captain [5 PL, 115pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield [10pts], Thunder hammer [20pts]
Captain on Bike [8 PL, 160pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master [2 PL, 40pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist [10pts], Storm shield [10pts], Twin boltgun, Warlord
Chaplain [6 PL, 105pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader [19pts]: Astartes Chainsword [1pts], Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Frag & Krak grenades
. 4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
+ Elites [37 PL, -1CP, 695pts] +
. 2x Bladeguard Veteran [70pts]: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted Power Sword, 2x Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran Sgt [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield
Company Champion [4 PL, -1CP, 70pts]: Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chapter Champion [1 PL, 15pts], Combat shield, Frag & Krak grenades, Martial Exemplar, Master-crafted power sword, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]
Judiciar [5 PL, 85pts]: Absolver Bolt Pistol, Executioner Relic Blade, Frag & Krak grenades
Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 165pts]
. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader [33pts]: Lightning Claw, Storm bolter
+ Fast Attack [2 PL, 30pts] +
+ Heavy Support [23 PL, 373pts] +
Eradicator Squad [12 PL, 160pts]: Melta rifle
. 3x Eradicator [120pts]: 3x Bolt pistol
+ Dedicated Transport [14 PL, 250pts] +
Razorback [6 PL, 110pts]: Twin heavy bolter
++ Total: [113 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net

His list

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [110 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++
+ Configuration +
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)
Detachment CP
Gametype: Matched
+ HQ +
Chaplain [7 PL, 130pts]: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate
Harald Deathwolf [7 PL, 140pts]: Hunter, Warlord
Librarian [7 PL, 140pts]: Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Librarian, Force sword, Jump Pack
+ Troops +
Blood Claws [13 PL, 210pts]
. 8x Blood Claw: 8x Bolt pistol, 8x Frag & Krak grenades
. Blood Claw Pack Leader: Power fist
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
Grey Hunters [6 PL, 95pts]: 4x Astartes Chainsword
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Astartes Chainsword
. 4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant
+ Elites +
Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 155pts]: Great Wolf Claw, Twin lascannon
+ Fast Attack +
Skyclaws [13 PL, 180pts]
. Skyclaw
. Skyclaw
. Skyclaw
. Skyclaw
. Skyclaw
. Skyclaw
. Skyclaw Pack Leader: Bolt pistol, Power fist
. Wolf Guard Skyclaw Pack Leader: Lightning Claw, Lightning Claw
Thunderwolf Cavalry [14 PL, 235pts]
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Astartes Chainsword, Storm shield
. Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
Thunderwolf Cavalry [14 PL, 290pts]
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Astartes Chainsword, Storm shield
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
+ Heavy Support +
Eradicator Squad [12 PL, 240pts]: Melta rifle
. 5x Eradicator: 5x Bolt pistol
. Eradicator Sgt
+ Dedicated Transport +
Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]: Storm bolter
++ Total: [110 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++

Pre-game

I have better shooting elements in my army and need to take advantage of it

I also have good counters to melee so even if he charges in I have judiciar/armor of russ tricks to let my wulfen dreads swing first

I identify my wulfen dreads as my keys to victory...I need to make sure they do serious work

I also need to prioritize targets for my LFs. I have many options depending on whether I go 1st or 2nd. I can even make a wall of drop pods and slow his TWC down by blocking movement lanes. For now I decide I will take full power alpha strike against his large TWC if the opportunity presents itself. I run a few dice simulations and unless he gets super hot with his 4++ storm shields I should be able to kill enough TWC to neutralize his biggest offensive weapon.

I give my drop pod captain morkai bolts. He is going TWC hunting with the LFs
I give bike lord armor of russ....rites of war + hunter
I give champion martial exemplar and blade of triumph
I give chaplain wise orator
I pick the following secondaries
Engage on all fronts
Raise the banners
Oaths of Moment from SM codex (first time ever...just wanted to experiment)
My opponent picks
Engage on all fronts
Assassinate
Warrior pride (new objective from SW codex...I wish I had my supplement...this is one of my auto takes in the future)
I deploy trying to avoid his turn 1 charge...I have just enough units I can deploy my wulfen dreads AFTER his TWC are down
I put 1 dread + fight last protection on each flank to mirror his TWC
1 dread is with bike lord in armor of russ
1 dread is with judiciar
Drop Pod 1
LFs
Captain
Drop Pod 2
BC#1
Champion
Chaplain
GH are on foot in the left objective giving them an open field of fire to use their bolters
Bladeguard join them with Wulfen Dread and bike lord as well
1 wolf is here so it can run out for engage on all fronts
Eradicators take the middle cover with wide open fields of fire if he tries to charge across no mans land
Judiciar and wulfen dread are nearby
Last wolf and razorback are also nearby
BC#2 are in the razorback
He places his eradicators on the hunt and combat squads them...I was not expecting that.
He also places harald on the hunt
I need to watch my board edges or things can get nasty
His sky claws are also in deep strike
He places his 5 man TWC and rhino with BC on one flank
He places his 4 man TWC and incursors on the other flank
Ven dread is hidden in cover in the middle with GH and characters ready to jump out
He wins the roll to go 1st...decides to make me go instead
BATREP
Turn 1
The infantry in my army start raising banners and taking defensive positions
Left side wolf gets a nice advance roll and crosses into enemy territory. I ended up dropping the LFs there anyways but I had the option to go elsewhere if I wanted it
Left wulfen dread moves to the edge of cover but does NOT go out into the fire lane of his ven dread and LCs
Bike lord follows him and is able to stand in the open b/c of character protection
Bladeguard advance (rolled a 1) and are able to use cover to safely move forward just beyond the building walls
On the right flank my blood claws exit the razorback and have just enough movement to reach the forward objective on the right side
Wulfen dread advances with them and hugs the obscuring terrain
Judiciar advances as well to protect the wulfen dread from a TWC charge
I drop my LF on the left flank and kill all 5 TWC. I was just barely able to squeeze 4/5 LF into 12" super melta range
I also put 4 wounds on Rhino with 2nd shot from armorium cherub because the TWC were no longer a threat
His turn
He disembarks the 10xBC and intends to charge and kill LFs
He spends all his shooting to create an opening to the captain so he can attack him as well
However...after the dust clears the captain is protected by 2 LFs and the edge of the board. No way for him to charge all unless he wants to go all the way around to the back and risk rolling too low.
Rhino charges my wolf but ends up taking a wound and bracketing
The rhino also blocks his BC from my other units
His BC wipe out the LFs but do NOT consolidate into the drop captain nearby
I declined to HI my captain so he basically stands there and watches the carnage
His ven dread walks out of cover to the left side of the map and kills the drop pod
gallery_49686_16758_530697.jpg
Turn 2
Left flank wulfen dread flamers rhino to death on accident (failed all 5 armor saves). I was planning to soften it up then sling shot around it
Now that my easy charge is gone I say YOLO and attempt the long charges at his BC
Wulfen fails his 11
Bladeguards make a long 9" charge and wipe out all 10 BC using morkai bolts and savage strike combo with help from the nearby the captain for reroll all hits/wounds
The patient captain gets his revenge
I drop the BCs near the middle and manage to get my champion into combat with his librarian (BCs failed their charge)
The biker lord advances 21" and also gets a charge into his librarian
The jump chaplain intervenes into the champion and positions so I can't get hit him with the bike lord
In melee his chaplain only gets 1 hit past the armor of the champion
In return the champion kills him
The biker lord also punches through the librarian and kills him
I have basically cleared this entire quadrant of enemy troops
On the right flank my eradicators step into 24" range of his TWC and manage to kill 2
I teleport my terminators in and create a speed bump. His TWC can no longer get to my objective and threaten my units
I also spread all my units out along my DZ to push back his outflanking units (GHs and BCs fan out with razorback and cyberwolf filling gaps)
My wulfen and judiciar step back slightly behind the wall to be more than 24" from the only opening available
If he charges the terminators my wulfen dread is still close enough for a counter attack
He brings in 3 eradicators to reinforce the left side and kills the biker lord with melta (2 shots made it past saves and he was in bonus damage range)
The ven dread starts approaching and kills the champion with LCs then charges and kills the cyber wolf to claim the objective
He also drops his sky claws to reinforce his objective so I can't keep pushing
On the right flank his TWC move forward and charge into the terminators
He brings in 3 eradicators and they kill 3/4 eradicators
Harald arrives as well and makes his 9" charge into the terminators
He kills all the terminators but is unable to interfere with the primary objective
gallery_49686_16758_241570.jpg
Turn 3
My chaplain chants and fully buffs the BCs. They have rage and hate and move into easy charge range of his sky claws. I can possibly kill them and flip control with my OBSEC. 21 attacks hitting on 2s wounding on 3s...oh ya!!!
Chaplain advances and is able to cross into the top right quadrant for max engage points
On the right flank I move the judiciar and wulfen dread into charge range...harald uses HI
On the left flank the bladeguard move up into charge range of his ven dread
Drop captain walks forward and morkai bolts the ven dread
My wulfen however is far from all the combat and advances as fast as he can...he is just outside the obscuring terrain and can't contribute this turn
Drop captain fails 2 charges at the ven dread (needed 8)
I send the bladeguard in anyways
Here is where I make a MASSIVE mental mistake
I was so distracted by the captain failing and trying to figure out how to kill his ven dread that I completely forget about my original plan.
I keep thinking how I will juggle harald and 2 TWC on the right flank and the ven dread on the left
I use armor of russ on his TWC and leave harald free
I then spend CP for savage strike and activate the bladeguard into the ven dread
After all his saves and FNPs I do 7/8 wounds and he lives
In his return attack at the end of the turn he kills all 3 bladeguard (failed all 5 4++ saves) and takes the objective
But wait...there is more bad news
I completely forgot about my charged up BCs!!!
He interrupts with his sky claws and kills all my BC...oops
I was in strong control of the game up until this mistake
Combat on the right flank is mixed
I only kill 1 TWC and leave the last with 1 wound
Harald is unable to kill the Judiciar so I still have shut down tricks to my advantage
On his turn he falls out of combat with Harald and the TWC and slaughters my BCs
This costs me the objective
His sky claws jump mid board and kill my chaplain and the drop pod
The ven dread moves into the obscuring terrain and fires at my left flank wulfen dread but the blizzard shields stops both
He eradicates my captain
gallery_49686_16758_312185.jpg
Turn 4
I suffer greatly on primary objective score this round
I need to secure the win and not make any more mistakes
On the left flank my wulfen dread walks into easy charge range of his venerable and flamer range of his sky claws...I do 1 wound
Razorback moves into auto charge range of sky claws and does 0 wounds with HB
Eradicator on the far right flank stands on the objective and takes pot shots at sky claws...0 wounds
GH point bolters out the windows and fire at sky claws...0 wounds
I was hoping to thin his sky claws but I am getting nothing...plan B is the razorback charge to delay them...he won't be able to fall back and charge if I survive...when melee ends I have 4 wounds left...safe!
On the right flank I kill his TWC with shooting and then kill Harald in melee to take back the objective
On the left flank my wulfen dread absolutely wrecks his 1 wound venerable
On his turn he only scores 5 primary points and the game is almost locked up
He needs to take risky moves so he advances the left flank eradicators onto the objective and only gets half shots at the wulfen dread
Only 1 goes through and I survive...I HI into him and kill the eradicators to keep the objective under my control
His sky claws fall back from combat and touch my middle DZ objective held by a single wolf.
This turns off the objective and stops my banner points.
However...it is too little too late
Turn 5 my left flank wulfen dread walks into his backfield and wipes out the GH on his middle DZ objective then consolidates and stands on it
This is basically the end of the game and he has a few moves left to score secondary points
His eradicators on the right flank kill the wulfen dread
His incursors then charge in and kill the judiciar to earn assassinate (needed a high charge and he rolled 12)

Post game and thoughts

gallery_49686_16758_31806.jpg

VICTORY!!!

83-61

Final score was close despite really bad luck with TWC shields.

The brain fart with my BC v his Sky claws almost came back to hurt

This drop assault list is turning out to be flexible and hard hitting. I really like the mix of elements

I haven't gone 2nd with it yet...so further testing needs to see how that would change things

I am really enjoying the ability to dictate the flow of the game and dominate objectives

Also...wulfen dread with great wolf claws and flamers are BEAST MODE!!!

For a non-core unit they are insane...flamers auto hit...claws hit on 2s...reroll charges AND wounds

They form the backbone of this list and have a huge threat projection when supported by judiciar/armor of russ combos

I did not enjoy the oath of moment secondary

I think I will be taking the Warrior Pride SW specific one in the future though...I would have maxed it out with all the melee/charging we did

As for my opponent...it was a bad dice game. Not much he could do to stop the damage I was putting on him

Frankly...losing his entire 290 point TWC turn 1 was too much for him to overcome

For me it is an indication my LF drop pod investment is worth it...I can hammer 1 thing real hard and remove it from the game

I really liked the creativity of his list.

He gave his skyclaw leader master crafted LCs

That model was doing all kinds of damage when he reached combat

5 attacks on the charge hitting on 2's with 2 damage rerolling wounds...basically a mini character

Edited by TiguriusX

What are people's thoughts in "Instincts Awoken"? I feel it loses a lot of its edge from T3 onwards and I would rather take powers that remain useful for the whole game. We have "Bestial Nature" if we want to kick a unit in the Assault Doctrine on T1 or T2 which is pretty good value at just 1CP.

Murderous Hurricane, Tempest's Wrath and Storm Caller all look like good picks to me. Plus using Cloaked by the Storm for 2CPs now looks pretty appealing, at least on T1 when you may be able to get several units in range of the RP.

What are people's thoughts in "Instincts Awoken"? I feel it loses a lot of its edge from T3 onwards and I would rather take powers that remain useful for the whole game. We have "Bestial Nature" if we want to kick a unit in the Assault Doctrine on T1 or T2 which is pretty good value at just 1CP.

Murderous Hurricane, Tempest's Wrath and Storm Caller all look like good picks to me. Plus using Cloaked by the Storm for 2CPs now looks pretty appealing, at least on T1 when you may be able to get several units in range of the RP.

You have 3(4) powers and can cast 2(3). You can afford to have one be situational in my opinion.

Karhedron, I think the value of Instincts Awoken is going to be determined by the rest of the force. The more your army can take advantage of the tactical doctrine the better the power gets. I do think if your gonna use it, that you want a mobile psycher like TiguriusX's opponent ran. Then late game you keep using hurricane or tempest, and smite.

Most games are decided by turn 3

Going wild with a unit using instincts awoken early can be a big change of momentum

I went kamikaze to kill that psyker for a reason

Edited by TiguriusX

Space Wolves v Salamanders

Mission-Sweep and Clear

My list-Drop assault-Outrider variant

Warlord-Chapter Master on Bike

*Chapter command manually edited

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [107 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Detachment CP

+ HQ [18 PL, 355pts] +

Captain [5 PL, 115pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield [10pts], Thunder hammer [20pts]

Chaplain [5 PL, 80pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Bolt pistol, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate

+ Elites [32 PL, 615pts] +

Company Champion [4 PL, 70pts]: Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chapter Champion [1 PL, 15pts], Combat shield, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted power sword

Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 170pts]

. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader [38pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Storm bolter

+ Fast Attack [8 PL, 165pts] +

Outrider Squad [6 PL, 135pts]

. 2x Outrider [90pts]: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle

. Outrider Sgt [45pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Twin Bolt rifle

+ Heavy Support [17 PL, 333pts] +

Eradicator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]: Melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator [80pts]: 2x Bolt pistol

+ Dedicated Transport [14 PL, 260pts] +

Razorback [6 PL, 120pts]: Twin lascannon [10pts]

++ Total: [107 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++

His list

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Salamanders) [105PL, 2,000pts, 11CP] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**

. Salamanders: Salamanders

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Adrax Agatone [8 PL, 145pts]: Drakkis, Frag & Krak grenades, Malleus Noctum, Warlord

Bray'arth Ashmantle [11PL, 220pts]: Burning Wrath, 2x Dreadfire claw, 2x Dreadfire heavy flamer

Lieutenants [4 PL, 75pts, -1CP]

. Lieutenant in Reiver Armour: Combat knife, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted special issue bolt pistol, Rites of War, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Vox Espiritum

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Marksman bolt carbine

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 200pts]: 2x Flamestorm Gauntlets, 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts]

. 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted Power Sword, 4x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sgt: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts]

. 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted Power Sword, 4x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sgt: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 150pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Multi-melta

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [4 PL, 110pts]

. Attack Bike: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta, Twin boltgun

. Attack Bike: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta, Twin boltgun

Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]

. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Grav-chute

. Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Grav-chute

Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]

. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Grav-chute

. Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Grav-chute

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [12 PL, 230pts]: Heavy melta rifle

. 3x Eradicator: 3x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt: Bolt pistol

. Eradicator with MM: Bolt pistol, Multi-melta

++ Total: [105 PL, 2,000pts, 11CP] ++

Pre-game

Never played salamanders before. Not sure what to expect.

I see BrayArth Ashmantle is a beast like bjorn but has been nerfed to T9

I see his flame aggressors can go crazy and need to be a priority target

His melta are also a problem for my wulfen dreads

Finally...I read about his protection stratagem...and I don't like the combo it creates. I won't be able to pick off priority targets without chewing through his tanks first. That is basically a counter to my list style.

Finally...he ignores AP1...this will suck

Not sure how I am going to approach his...I might have to stall until the assault phase to get AP2 on my weapons

My secondaries

Engage on all fronts

While we stand

Direct assault

I give imperium's sword and armor of russ to my captain

I give bear/hunter and armor indomitus to my bike captain

I give martial exemplar to my champion

Deployment

He puts 1 unit of suppressors in reserve

I put 2 wulfen dreads in reserve to hide from all his melta and try to increase my chances with WHILE WE STAND

I also have the following drop pod forces

DP1

Long Fangs

DP2

BC1

Chaplain

Champion

He is able to put his infiltrators on 1 objective and zone me out with the 12" bubble

I respond by positioning the outriders to take the opposite corner objective with a turn 1 move

I win the roll to go first and take it

BATREP

Turn 1

I run a cyberwolf to the middle to score direct assault and line up a few ranged shots

I advance the outriders and claim an objective

Razorback lines up a long shot with LCs

Eradicators step out as well

I decide to play it slow and NOT drop the long fangs

His aggressors are currently protected by 5 bladeguard veterans. I can't shoot through that and hurt the aggressors

He pops his defensive strats at the start of my shooting

Razorback rolls 1 and 2 to hit

Eradicators with full rerolls from bike master get 6 hits

Roll 5 2s and a 1 for wounds

I basically do a bunch of nothing with all my shots

At least he burned CP on protector and transhuman...

gallery_49686_16758_45007.jpg

His turn

Suppressors move to line up a shot then use strat to wound +1 and count as not moving to hit on 3 and wound eradicators on 2

He has a master crafted gun doing 3 damage in the squad

He kills all 3 eradicators

He also moves his infantry blobs forward and guns down the cyberwolf

gallery_49686_16758_208740.jpg

Turn 2

I decide to make my move now that he has opened up his lines

The aggressors are no longer protected by the bladeguard so I can get direct shots on them

The LFs come in hard!!!

I roll many 1s and 2s

I roll 1 total wound after transhuman and kill 1 aggressor with 12 total shots

Basically...disaster

In the middle of the map I sacrifice my GHs with obsec to stand in the middle and flip the objective back to my control for another 3 points for direct assault

gallery_49686_16758_145003.jpg

His turn his main blob moves closer to the middle

After slicing my GH in melee bladeguard #1 walk right up to my wall and block movement

His aggressors flame my LFs into a crisp and then charge and punches the DP to death and they steal the objective away from me

That drops me to 5 primary points only...ouch

That turn was a solid blow to my chances to victory...if I don't make a comeback it is over

gallery_49686_16758_137511.jpg

Turn 3

I decide to YOLO and go into combat now that I have AP 2 assault phase bonuses

However...salamander stratagems make this tricky

He informs me he can overwatch and HI if a friendly unit within 12" gets charged

He has his Bray arth ash mantle with D2 flamers in the middle blob. If I charge within 12" he is going to roast the crap out of me then HI in with that beast.

My terminators move outside the right side of the wall to line up charges on his suppressors and bladeguard #1...they are outside 12" from Bray arth and safe to charge

My captain stays inside the wall to line up his charge and not be flamed to death

My bladeguard have to move outside the left side of the wall to line up charges on bladeguard #1 or they won't get into combat

I also bring down the last DP and 1 wulfen enters on the right side

This force has a 9" charge set up on bladeguard #2

The wulfen dread makes his 9" charge

The BCs join him

The champion and chaplain fail their charges

The terminators make the multi charge into suppressors and bladeguard #1

The captain makes his charge

When I am ready to declare my bladeguard he tells me he will spend 2 CP and use the stratagem

He points out that my bladeguard have stupidly walked within 12" range when I was lining up the charge

Well...CRAP...I don't think I can kill his bladeguard without the help

But I am 100% sure I will die if he gets to flame and then march into melee with Bray Arth

I decide NOT to charge in with them and see what happens

I use armor of russ to shut down bladeguard #1 and focus on the combat with bladeguard #2

I activate the BC first because I doubt he can kill the wulfen dread and I can fight on death with my biker if I fail badly

Blood claws get super charged with savage strike for +1 to wound and manage to kill 3/5 bladeguard

He interrupts and swings at my biker

I have to use a CP and end up taking 4/7 wounds (bear WL trait stops 2)

Wulfen Dread only kills 1 leavin 1 left alive

Bike captain only does 2 wounds...so the final bladeguard is alive with 1 wound

Now for the other fights

My terminator pack leader uses his chainfist to rip through all the suppressors singlehandedly

The other terminators don't do a thing to bladeguard #1

The pressure is on the captain and he chokes. His TH only kills 2 bladeguard leaving 3 alive

They slaughter my captain with their attacks...uggg

gallery_49686_16758_203394.jpg

On his turn he leaves combat with the last survivor of bladeguard #2 and points all his melta guns at my wulfen dread

It explodes and kills my bike captain with 3 MWs...

This is basically game over

I have no more offense left and just play out the game to score points

Final score and recap

gallery_49686_16758_73424.jpg

I lose 45-90

I made this list to test outriders

I honestly hated the outriders this game

I knew they would suck going in because the salamanders ignore AP1 which is basically all the outriders have to offer

But beyond that...they felt useless in my army and had no synergy. I honestly didn't know what to do with them.

I used their speed early to grab an objective which was cool...but after that I was like uh uh uh now what?

They don't have enough durability to hold the objective they grab early

They don't have enough hitting power to kill non chaff...I wanted to be aggressive and throw them into combat but against aggressors and bladeguard vets they would just bounce right off

I have 3 more matches in this pod so I will give them a few more field tests...but my early report is YUCK...I do NOT like

As for the game itself...this was a rough loss...I found myself scratching and clawing for primary points again. I should have sent my outriders after his infiltrators. You defeat the 12" no DS bubble using speed...by ignoring it I put myself in a deep hole

Also...my LF bomb absolutely choked. In hindsight I could have played them more cautiously and put them at max 24" range to avoid a counter attack.

The real problem is that amount of firepower is something I need to perform

I also had no tools to take out Bladeguard from a distance

I can slice and dice them if I get the charge off though...and i continue to be impressed by the simple 5 man BC using savage strike

Strange as it seems I am considering a thunderfire cannon in a future version of this list. I can use the tremor shells to control the melee units I don't want to deal with and focus my drop pod forces on the other flank

But that will be another battle on another day

Tip of the hat to the salamanders...they win this round

Edited by TiguriusX

On his turn he leaves combat with the last survivor of bladeguard #2 and points all his melta guns at my wulfen dread

That doesn't sound right. Exploding Wulfen Dreads only cause 1MW. Was there something else that increased the damage?

Salamanders are a rough match up for any alpha strike list, just having some control over what you can target is brutal. I really think you should look at the attack bikes, I think they provide more redundancy for your strategy than the eradicators do. Having the movement to line up shots against the units you need to while being able to hide replicates the long fangs better.

My early experience with MM Attack Bikes in my Blood Angels backs up that assertion. The combination of durability, mobility and firepower is very impressive.

Salamnders look like a tough match-up on paper. They are another army like us that excels in the midfield. Off the top of my head, Death Guard might be another one that could prove challenging for similar reasons.

That doesn't sound right. Exploding Wulfen Dreads only cause 1MW. Was there something else that increased the damage?

I misplayed the explosion and used the old rules.  Need to remember in the future

@Tigurius. I love what your doing here. I’ve been operating very similarly with my pod lists. I Like the wolf lord on Thunderwolf for my smaller game lists instead of putting him in a pod as he is so fast and the board is smaller. Haven’t tried him at 2k yet. I’ve built my wulfen dreads but have yet to use them and an eager to try them out. I’ll definitely be following this thread.

@Tigurius. I love what your doing here. I’ve been operating very similarly with my pod lists. I Like the wolf lord on Thunderwolf for my smaller game lists instead of putting him in a pod as he is so fast and the board is smaller. Haven’t tried him at 2k yet. I’ve built my wulfen dreads but have yet to use them and an eager to try them out. I’ll definitely be following this thread.

I am actually considering whether the foot captain should be on a bike as well. When the pods drop he has 20" to boost nearby and give a reroll bubble.

Originally I felt he would be making charges out of the pod but in my field tests he plays more like a support character and stays with the LFs

I could give him the bear/pelt of balewolf combo in that situation and see how long he survives