Saga of the drop pod assault (saga has ended after 2 RTTs)

TiguriusX

I can see that some of the problems I’ve run into are because I play on boards with lots of terrain. placement of the pods and still having room to get out and make a 7 inch rollable charge. I had more than one instance where all the claws made it to combat but only one or two characters were able to make it. Some of it is probably my placement once getting to engagement range but space in some instances is at a premium. So in that sense I agree that the characters usually play more of a support role. I am a herohammer guy though and really favor a combat lord. Double frost claw lord on wolf is my fav. Also, this is a small thing, I may put deathwind launcher on my drop pods. Same cost and S5 -1 in tactical. It has variable shots but the pods just sit there anyway when they land and I thought it might be worth being better at wounding targets of opportunity.

I can see that some of the problems I’ve run into are because I play on boards with lots of terrain. placement of the pods and still having room to get out and make a 7 inch rollable charge. I had more than one instance where all the claws made it to combat but only one or two characters were able to make it. Some of it is probably my placement once getting to engagement range but space in some instances is at a premium. So in that sense I agree that the characters usually play more of a support role. I am a herohammer guy though and really favor a combat lord. Double frost claw lord on wolf is my fav. Also, this is a small thing, I may put deathwind launcher on my drop pods. Same cost and S5 -1 in tactical. It has variable shots but the pods just sit there anyway when they land and I thought it might be worth being better at wounding targets of opportunity.

I don't like the short range of those launchers and I don't want to shoot my charge targets to make it harder

The blood claw pods are just there to muck things up and clear enemy troops if possible

My heavy hitters come in wave 2

I will say I am becoming fond of these BCs and how they perform

1 CP to activate savage strike and they are a decent threat hitting on 2s and wounding MEQ on 3s (basically space wolf/blood angel combo)

When assault doctrine is active it goes from fun to insane with exploding 6s and AP2 chainswords

It has me wondering if a giant 10-15 man unit coming on the hunt turn 3 may be worth replacing one of my elite choices

Taking the large squad would maximize the strategem. I would just be careful of where they come in vs marines, Tau and eldar. From what I understand Auspex scan no longer makes the shooter hit at -1. If they have a decent shooter left or a blast weapon it could hurt. Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

Taking the large squad would maximize the strategem. I would just be careful of where they come in vs marines, Tau and eldar. From what I understand Auspex scan no longer makes the shooter hit at -1. If they have a decent shooter left or a blast weapon it could hurt.

ASFAIK its not a problem. Its the drop pod that comes in from reserve (allowing that to be fired on) and then the unit disembarks. Meaning it isnt a target. 

Taking the large squad would maximize the strategem. I would just be careful of where they come in vs marines, Tau and eldar. From what I understand Auspex scan no longer makes the shooter hit at -1. If they have a decent shooter left or a blast weapon it could hurt.

ASFAIK its not a problem. Its the drop pod that comes in from reserve (allowing that to be fired on) and then the unit disembarks. Meaning it isnt a target. 

We were talking about a change in the list using 10-15 BCs to outflank 

That would be the unit in danger of being shot

In my games so far the only units that auspex scan are plasma inceptors.  Most people don't have enough shooting in other units to make it worth it.

When I face plasma inceptors I put eradicators in reserve to shoot them from 24"

That was the case in 8th. In 9th, Auspex scan triggers at the end of the movement phase. I think this means that any squad that disembarked from a Pod would then be a viable target.

2. REINFORCEMENTS

Some units have a rule that allows them to start the battle in a

location other than on the battlefield; units that use such rules are

called Reinforcements

The unit inside the pod would be counted as reinforcements since the term is now defined to mean any form of deployment where the unit does not start the game on the table. This would include being inside a Pod.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

That was the case in 8th. In 9th, Auspex scan triggers at the end of the movement phase. I think this means that any squad that disembarked from a Pod would then be a viable target.

2. REINFORCEMENTS

called Reinforcements

The unit inside the pod would be counted as reinforcements since the term is now defined to mean any form of deployment where the unit does not start the game on the table. This would include being inside a Pod.

That does seem like a possible interpretation...hmmm

It would also blow a hole in one of the main advantages of this list

An alternative melta delivery system is eradicators...I just recently learned about heavy melta rifles

With keen senses we can make heavy melta rifles ignore the move/fire penalty for a heavy weapon

So you get D6+2 damage 24" away

A squad of 6 is less points than the LF with the drop pod too

Decisions decisions...

2. REINFORCEMENTS

called Reinforcements

Again, I dont think so. Its one of those things we will need a gw say so on to be sure, but my thoughts as it is now, could technically mean you could shoot things that emerged from a vehicle this turn. 

Would also mean that if you had a soup list, and you had 2 startagems that did the same thing (but were named differently) you would be able to shoot down a vehicle that arrived from reserves, and then shoot the things that got out of it. 

Again, I dont think so. Its one of those things we will need a gw say so on to be sure, but my thoughts as it is now, could technically mean you could shoot things that emerged from a vehicle this turn.

I don't expect GW to make a ruling on this. We are reading too much into this because it required a ruling during 8th. The rules for reinforcements are different in 9th and so is the wording and function of the Stratagem. It seems to me like GW have reworded them specifically to avoid the need for FAQs (although I am sure things will still crop up.

Units embarked on Transports do not count as Reinforcements. But units that start off the table because they are in a Drop Pod (or Stormwolf etc) would count.

Would also mean that if you had a soup list, and you had 2 startagems that did the same thing (but were named differently) you would be able to shoot down a vehicle that arrived from reserves, and then shoot the things that got out of it.

Technically I believe that is correct. It is a small benefit to gain for losing out on super doctrines.

An alternative melta delivery system is eradicators...I just recently learned about heavy melta rifles

With keen senses we can make heavy melta rifles ignore the move/fire penalty for a heavy weapon

I can see pros and cons of both. Drop Pods are harder screen against because they can turn up from any angle and can drop on T1 if your opponent is careless. Units Outflanking or using the Reserves stratagem can only come on from board edges and are affected by turn restrictions. Plus it costs CPsto Reserve/Outflank.

5 Fangs get the same firepower as 6 Eradicators on the turn they drop thanks to the Cherub but after that the Eradictaors get the advantage of firepower. Eradicators are also more durable with 50% more wounds and T5. Plus they have access to both THP and strat to gain a 2+ save vs small arms.

It is a tough choice, which probably means GW have done a remarkably good job of balancing the units. :wink:

I can see pros and cons of both. Drop Pods are harder screen against because they can turn up from any angle and can drop on T1 if your opponent is careless. Units Outflanking or using the Reserves stratagem can only come on from board edges and are affected by turn restrictions. Plus it costs CPsto Reserve/Outflank.

5 Fangs get the same firepower as 6 Eradicators on the turn they drop thanks to the Cherub but after that the Eradictaors get the advantage of firepower. Eradicators are also more durable with 50% more wounds and T5. Plus they have access to both THP and strat to gain a 2+ save vs small arms.

It is a tough choice, which probably means GW have done a remarkably good job of balancing the units. :wink:

My natural response is "why not both!"

Muwahahaha

Muwahahaha

What is better than a smoking dead heretic? Two smoking dead heretics! :biggrin.:

The only issue I could forsee with MM Fangs and Heavy Eradicators is that they are both likely to want to use Keen Senses on the turn they arrive so you would either need to stagger them or have them share. The standard Eradicators are a bit more flexible in that regard.

Muwahahaha

What is better than a smoking dead heretic? Two smoking dead heretics! :biggrin.:

The only issue I could forsee with MM Fangs and Heavy Eradicators is that they are both likely to want to use Keen Senses on the turn they arrive so you would either need to stagger them or have them share. The standard Eradicators are a bit more flexible in that regard.

We have many tricks...

Keen senses is just 1 trick

Steady advance (2 cp) is another (doesnt work on reserves)

So is recitation of focus (use it with the auto pass stratagem after your reserves arrive)

*edit*

You can also slap the chapter master reroll all on a unit to help the odds of rolling with a penalty after moving...but not units arriving from reserves (this is part of my super secret list I just created...I will share after I test it...basically lots of Eradicators with heavy melta that don't miss)

Edited by TiguriusX

I'm really liking MM Attack Bike squads in comparison to Eradicators. 35pts extra for a squad of 3 gets you equivalent firepower plus twin bolters, 3 extra wounds, and almost triple the movement.

I think Eradicators are going to be nerfed sooner or later, but still be good. MMAB are just as good, if not better, for a little bit more. Only problem is that SW tend to have alot of Fast Attack choices already.

SW-Drop Assault Judiciar Variant v. Custodes

Map/Mission: Scorched Earth

My Army

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [113 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

**Chapter Selection**: Space Wolves

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]

Detachment CP

+ HQ [19 PL, 380pts] +

Captain [5 PL, 115pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield [10pts], Thunder hammer [20pts]

Captain on Bike [8 PL, 160pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master [2 PL, 40pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist [10pts], Storm shield [10pts], Twin boltgun, Warlord

Chaplain [6 PL, 105pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate

+ Troops [18 PL, 272pts] +

Blood Claws [6 PL, 90pts]

. 4x Blood Claw [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Blood Claw Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

. Blood Claw Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

Grey Hunters [6 PL, 92pts]: Astartes Chainsword [1pts]

. Grey Hunter Pack Leader [19pts]: Astartes Chainsword [1pts], Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Frag & Krak grenades

. 4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

+ Elites [37 PL, -1CP, 695pts] +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 2x Bladeguard Veteran [70pts]: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted Power Sword, 2x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sgt [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield

Company Champion [4 PL, -1CP, 70pts]: Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chapter Champion [1 PL, 15pts], Combat shield, Frag & Krak grenades, Martial Exemplar, Master-crafted power sword, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]

Judiciar [5 PL, 85pts]: Absolver Bolt Pistol, Executioner Relic Blade, Frag & Krak grenades

Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 165pts]

. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [33pts]: Storm bolter, Storm shield

. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader [33pts]: Lightning Claw, Storm bolter

Wulfen Dreadnought [7 PL, 135pts]

. Great Wolf Claw and Blizzard Shield [15pts]

. . Blizzard Shield [10pts]: Blizzard shield [5pts], Heavy flamer [5pts]

. . Great Wolf Claw [5pts]: Great Wolf Claw, Heavy flamer [5pts]

+ Fast Attack [2 PL, 30pts] +

Cyberwolves [1 PL, 15pts]

. Cyberwolf [15pts]: Teeth and claws

+ Heavy Support [23 PL, 373pts] +

Eradicator Squad [12 PL, 160pts]: Melta rifle

. 3x Eradicator [120pts]: 3x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt [40pts]: Bolt pistol

Long Fangs [11 PL, 213pts]: Armorium Cherub [5pts]

. Long Fang [38pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta [20pts]

. Long Fang Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades

. . Boltgun and Bolt Pistol: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Dedicated Transport [14 PL, 250pts] +

Drop Pod [4 PL, 70pts]: Storm bolter

Razorback [6 PL, 110pts]: Twin heavy bolter

++ Total: [113 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts] ++

His Army

Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes)

Configuration

Battle Size

Selections: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment CP

Shield Host

Selections: Dread Host

Agents of the Imperium

Eversor Assassin

HQ

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike

Selections: Hurricane Bolter, Misericordia, Warlord

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike

Selections: Hurricane Bolter

Troops

Custodian Guard Squad

Custodian

Selections: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian Guard Squad

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian Guard Squad

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian Guard Squad

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian Guard Squad

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian Guard Squad

Custodian

Custodian

Custodian

Elites

Allarus Custodians

Allarus Custodian

Selections: Castellan Axe

Allarus Custodian

Allarus Custodian

Allarus Custodian

Allarus Custodian

Allarus Custodian

Vexilus Praetor

Selections: Misericordia, Storm Shield, Vexilla Imperius

Pre-game & Deployment

I see a ton of obsec and bolters but none of the big scary stuff I have seen before

This looks like a custodes "horde" as funny as that sounds

He doesn't have much besides bolters and melee...but he is super tanky and has OBSEC everywhere

I have a judiciar and armor of russ to counter his melee so I feel good about the matchup

My wulfen dreads should be able to do some work if I can let them swing first in every combat

His biggest threat is the Allarus Custodes unit...I am going to leave my LFs in a DP as the counter unit if possible

I will give a master crafted TH to my captain for allarus killing as plan B

All that T5 2+/3++ is going to be a pain to deal with though

My basic troops (BC/GH) are basically useless this game

I need bladeguard and others to do some serious work

My Secondaries:

Warriors Pride (SW specific)

Engage on all Fronts

Deploy Scramblers

His Secondaries:

Assassinate

While we stand we fight

Raise the banners

I put the following in reserve

Empty DP

LF DP

Terminators

He puts the following in reserve

Assassin

Allarus terminators

He deploys first and sends 4 units of sentinels on the right flank

He sends 2 units of sentinels on the left with his captains and praetor

I split my army into 2 forces...one will push forward and threaten objectives while the other uses firing lanes and holds the line

Left flank (push flank)

Wulfen dread

Smash captain

Champion

Chaplain

Bladeguard

Right flank (hold the line flank)

Wulfen dread

Chapter master

Eradicators

Razorback

gallery_49686_16232_210272.jpg

BATREP

He wins the roll and takes 1st turn

His turn

He pushes up aggressively and in order to take the middle objectives he has left his bike captains as the closest models despite look out sir protection

gallery_49686_16232_69539.jpg

*I let him reposition his captain when he realized he was so close to my bladeguard

My turn

Units on the left push up while units on the right take defensive positions with firing lanes

My eradicators take aim at his captain

I have a decision to make...do I take the risk and drop my LF to shoot at his captains or stick to my original plan?

No guts no glory!!!

I summon my LF pod and hope for a quick assassination mission and drop it on the left flank aiming for his warlord

I also drop the empty pod in his backfield for free engage points. It remains there all game and never gets attacked.

I activate the LF DP combo within 12" for maximum melta damage

He activates transhuman

I manage total 3 multi melta wounds and he saves 2 of them after using rerolls and burning CP

1 total shot goes through and I roll 2 for damage...after CP reroll it becomes 1 damage + 2 short range (3 total...he has 4 remaining)

Welp...that sucked...this is reminding me of the salamander game I just had where the LF DP failed to kill aggressors

On the right flank my eradicators are buffed by my chapter master but he uses a stratagem to prevent rerolls.

I manage to get 2 wounds through and roll 6-6 for damage. One captain is down!

gallery_49686_16232_406464.jpg

Turn 2

He drops his allarus terminators on the left flank

I use auspex scan and kill 4 allarus...he failed his saves and I rolled a kill for every single melta that got through (4 wounds each allarus terminator)

Way to redeem yourselves LFs!!!

With only 2 Allarus left he can't do nearly as much damage to my task force

After shooting and charging I have 1 LF alive and he manages to kill my judiciar in combat

He also drops his assassin on my right flank but fails to charge into the eradicators

His right flank he moves 2 units of sentinels onto the objective and plinks a few wounds off the wulfen dread

gallery_49686_16232_290488.jpg

My turn

The eradicators wipe out a nearby 3 man sentinel squad (3 more left)

The wulfen dread charges in but only kills 1 sentinel from the nearby squad on the objective

I bring my terminators in to kill his assassin...after the storm bolters hitting on 2's there is 1 wound remaining

The nearby razorback pumps HBs into the assassin and finishes the job

My task force on the left moves up to contest the objective

He is out of CP so I will be able to dog pile his forces and kill everything I charge

Bladeguard charge into a fresh sentinel squad and activage savage strike to kill the entire unit

Smash captain and champion charge into Allarus terminators and finish them off before they can swing again

gallery_49686_16232_253454.jpg

Turn 3

On the right flank he falls out of combat with the wulfen dread and moves another squad up to take its place

The chapter master HIs and joins the fight but they only manage to kill a single model

He tries to put all his attacks into the chapter master but I only take 1 damage total

On the left flank he charges my bladeguard with his last sentinel and I fail every invulnerable roll losing the entire unit

The captain flies to my back lines and kills my GH on the objective to deny me points

gallery_49686_16232_229598.jpg

My turn

I decide to push forward with the melee force and ignore the captain in the rear

I need to rely on my shooting from the last surviving LF and run my eradicators into long range to kill his captain

4 melta shots at the captain all fail to do anything

In melee I wipe out the last of his sentinels...only his HQs remain on the left flank

On the right flank I finish off his sentinel squad and my terminators move up to support the objective

He has 2 sentinel squads remaining here

gallery_49686_16232_206731.jpg

Turn 4

On the left flank he kills my smash captain and chaplain

On the right flank he tries to focus down my chapter master but fails...both sentinels are wiped out in return

gallery_49686_16232_345261.jpg

On my turn I charge in and kills his praetor leaving only the bike captain

I try to move my troops into position to finish secondary objectives but I am too slow...razorback ends 1" too short of where it needs to be to disembark a unit and score scramblers

On the right flank I move around removing his banners from all objectives

gallery_49686_16232_378152.jpg

Turn 5

He moves his captain to his rear and kills my only infantry unit capable of deploying scramblers and denies me all the secondary points...2 models survive but they can't fall back and deploy scramblers so it is a huge blow for him

The score is 74 (me) to 72 (him) at the start of my turn

If I do NOT kill his bike captain he finishes with 77 (while we stand)

I line up shots with LF and all eradicators on his bike captain

I hit and wound with 8 melta shots...he saves all of them with 3++

Wulfen dread makes a 10" charge and lands 6 wounds...he saves all of them with 3++ but he burns his final CP

Finally the chapter master rolls into combat...his armor of russ holds the custodes captain in place and he lands 9 wounds (4 exploding 6s)

The captain fails 4 saves (8 damage)...and makes 2 FNP rolls

With the last dice rolls of the game the enemy has been defeated

Phew...my most dramatic match yet

gallery_49686_16232_22665.jpg

Final score and recap

gallery_49686_16232_86759.jpg

77-72

Victory for the wolves!!!

I am now 2-0 in this pod using this list

I am getting concerned about the LF DP unit...it is more swingy than I expected.

When it works it is awesome...but it can also fail spectacularly. Hopefully this is just small sample size showing up

The bladeguard veterans keep performing...with a captain nearby and savage strike for wound +1 the bladeguard vets slice and dice their way through things. I am tempted to bump them up to a 5 man and use my own transhuman defense tricks to keep them alive as an anvil type unit

I think a judiciar is a must have. Having one + armor of russ just gives us extreme flexibility when facing melee armies. I can split them up and have 2 flanks or I can push hard and control large combats in the middle with both

Wulfen dreads continue to put in work. I love them.

Edited by TiguriusX

SW-Outrider Variant v. Dark Angels
Map/Mission-Retrieval
My Army
++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [107 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++
+ Configuration [12CP] +
**Chapter Selection**: Space Wolves
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]
Detachment CP
+ HQ [18 PL, 355pts] +
Captain [5 PL, 115pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield [10pts], Thunder hammer [20pts]
Captain on Bike [8 PL, 160pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master [2 PL, 40pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Power fist [10pts], Storm shield [10pts], Twin boltgun, Warlord
Chaplain [5 PL, 80pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Bolt pistol, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate
+ Troops [18 PL, 272pts] +
Grey Hunters [6 PL, 92pts]: Astartes Chainsword [1pts]
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader [19pts]: Astartes Chainsword [1pts], Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Frag & Krak grenades
. 4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
+ Elites [32 PL, 615pts] +
Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 2x Bladeguard Veteran [70pts]: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted Power Sword, 2x Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran Sgt [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Master-crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield
Company Champion [4 PL, 70pts]: Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chapter Champion [1 PL, 15pts], Combat shield, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted power sword
Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 170pts]
. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader [38pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Storm bolter
+ Fast Attack [8 PL, 165pts] +
Outrider Squad [6 PL, 135pts]
. 2x Outrider [90pts]: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle
. Outrider Sgt [45pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Twin Bolt rifle
+ Heavy Support [17 PL, 333pts] +
Eradicator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]: Melta rifle
. 2x Eradicator [80pts]: 2x Bolt pistol
. Eradicator Sgt [40pts]: Bolt pistol
Long Fangs [11 PL, 213pts]: Armorium Cherub [5pts]
. Long Fang Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades
. . Boltgun and Bolt Pistol: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
+ Dedicated Transport [14 PL, 260pts] +
Razorback [6 PL, 120pts]: Twin lascannon [10pts]
++ Total: [107 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
His army
++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [85 PL, 9CP, 2000 pts] ++
+ Configuration +
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)
Chapter Selection: Dark Angels
Detachment CP
+ Stratagems +
Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics
+ HQ +
Talon master* 160
Belial [7 PL, 140pts]
. Sword of Silence & Storm Bolter: Master-crafted storm bolter, Sword of Silence
Interrogator-Chaplain in Terminator Armor [7 PL, 135pts]: 1. Litany of Faith (Aura), 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Crozius arcanum, Storm bolter, Warlord
. Angel's Ambit: Relic
+ Troops +
Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Occulus bolt carbine, Paired combat blades
Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Occulus bolt carbine, Paired combat blades
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades
+ Elites +
Deathwing Ancient [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Rites of War, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter
. Pennant of Remembrance: Relic
. Powerfist and Storm Bolter: Power fist, Storm bolter
Deathwing Command Squad [4 PL, 90pts]
. Deathwing Sergeant
. . Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Deathwing Terminator
Deathwing Knights [11 PL, 240pts]: Watcher in the Dark
. 4x Deathwing Knight: 4x Mace of Absolution, 4x Storm shield
. Knight Master: Flail of the Unforgiven, Storm shield
Deathwing Terminator Squad [18 PL, 430pts]
. Deathwing Sergeant
. Deathwing Terminator
. Deathwing Terminator
. Deathwing Terminator
. Deathwing Terminator
. Deathwing Terminator
. Deathwing Terminator: Assault cannon, Power fist
. Deathwing Terminator: Assault cannon, Power fist
. Deathwing Terminator: Power fist, Storm bolter
. Deathwing Terminator: Power fist, Storm bolter
Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, -1CP, 125pts]: Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Frag & Krak grenades, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter
. Black Knight Bike: Plasma Talon
+ Fast Attack +
. 2x Outrider: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle
. Outrider Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Twin Bolt rifle
. 2x Outrider: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle
. Outrider Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Heavy Bolt Pistol, Twin Bolt rifle
++ Total: [85 PL, 9CP, 2000pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
Pre-game and Deployment
First match against DA
My understanding is the DA gimmick is everyone basically has transhuman physiology and needs a 4+ to wound
My wulfen dreads with reroll wounds are my best unit to counter that
He has some assault cannon type ranged shooting but nothing that is major anti tank
His main threats are the knights and terminators
They only have a 5" movement
My best bet is probably to avoid his slow terminator/knight units and play the primary
I will make removing his mobility my #1 priority...if his outriders are gone I can play keep away from his terminator units
I decide to test the bear/pelt of balewolf combo on my bike this game
I give my drop captain the armor of russ
champion gets WL and relic
Deployment
DP1
LFs + Captain
DP2
BC + Chaplain + Champion
Terminators teleport strike
I also strategic reserve 1 wulfen dread + 2 wolves
GH will be inside the razorback with normal deployment
He only places his knights in DS
Terminators split but deploy on table
T1=shooting with both assault cannons
T2=TH/SS
gallery_49686_16232_461355.jpg
I put wulfen and outriders on the left behind obscuring terrain
chapter master and razorback on the right flank with good fields of fire
My eradicators are mid board behind the ruin walls
He hides almost everything behind the ruin walls and puts his outriders back outside of melta range
He puts 1 incursor on the left side objective outside his DZ

BATREP
He wins the roll but makes me go first...funny because I was planning on the EXACT same move
GH exit the razorback and raise banners
BC raise banners
Bladeguard can't reach the objective to raise so they advance left
Wulfen dread walks onto the objective as well
Razorback lines up LC shots on outrides
Chapter master follows the razorback closely
At this point I need to decide go aggressive with LFs or hold in reserve
I decide to drop LFs to kill his outriders since he left me tons of space in his DZ
He pops transhuman and a special ravenwing 4++ stratagem
I pop keen senses
I only kill 1 biker after all my dice rolls...
The combination of transhuman 4 and invulernable 4 is a recurring theme this game. I hate the 4/4 by the time it is over.
My razorback fires his LC at the other bikers and kills 1
I fail the 9" charge with captain
That entire DP is now up sh** creek
gallery_49686_16232_179742.jpg
His turn
He brings back the biker my LF killed with apothecary
He moves outriders and his shooty terminators left to deal with the pod
He fires almost everything else into LFs and they tank most of it...1 survives to the end of shooting
He fires talonmaster into bladeguard killing 1
His terminators make the charge into wolf lord
I use armor of russ and swing first
Here come more 4/4 rolls...he uses a CP to save the only wound that goes through in combat
In return he kills the captain with his PFs...I fail every single 4++
He consolidates everything into my DP so I can't shoot him
Turn 2
My turn
Eradicators step in front of their wall and kill the incursors on the left objective who stepped out to shoot at me
Wulfen dread and outriders move up to charge them if they live...plan B is kill the incursors midfield
Wulfen dread fails the charge but my outriders make it in
I pop savage strike
He pops transhuman
Outriders only kill 1 incursor when all the dice are done
His return strikes from the incursors cause 7 wounds on my bikers
He fails to kill my drop with his terminators and outrider...1 wound left
On my right flank I make an aggressive move to deny him points
The chapter master advances full speed next to his 2 outriders
I drop in my melee pod and bring my reserve wulfen on the board
I make the charge with my obsec blood claws and put more bodies on the objective to steal it from him
The champion and chapter master however are unable to kill 2 simple outriders
Good news is I knocked him off enough objectives to reduce his primary points to 5 only
gallery_49686_16232_320826.jpg
His turn he counter attacks hard on the right flank
The apothecary brings back another outrider and heals the survivor so there are 2 full wound bikers
The knights teleport in and charge and wipe out my blood claws
They consolidate into my champion
My champion and chapter master once again fail to kill 2 gdamn outriders...
The good news is I set up an escape route for my chapter master to exploit on my turn
On the left flank he is busy finishing off the drop pod
Turn 3
I fall back with my chapter master and charge his talon master
With 0 CP I can easily kill him with no 4++ available
I use savage strike to hit on 2 and wound on 2...the talon master is smashed to dust as a result and I consolidate into the intercessors
They manage to put a wound on my chapter master
On the right flank I fall out of combat with the knights and line up some shots
Eradicators and razorback LCs do 0 wounds to them...gdamn 4/4!!!
The right flank wulfen dread charges into the knights hoping to thin their numbers
Wulfen lands 4 wounds...he saves all (that damn 4/4 really getting on my nerves because he is making tons of his 4++)
He hits my wulfen...I fail all my 4++ and die
He consolidates into my chaplain
The chaplain of ALL my combat units manages to kill a knight..3 wounds get through the 4/4 wall
The left flank dread advances and runs onto the left objective
I teleport terminators to hold the objective as well...he has no obsec units in that area
gallery_49686_16232_366959.jpg
His turn
On the left flank his shooty terminators get in close and charge my wulfen dread + terminators
He also moves his obsec banner unit near them so he steals the objective from me
gallery_49686_16232_370389.jpg
On the right flank he falls back from my warlord to open me up to shooting
He throws everything in the area at me...all outriders etc.
He fires everything at me needing 5/6 to wound...nothing hurts the Warlord
He charges everything into me!!!
gallery_49686_16232_35292.jpg
39 outriders put 3 wounds on me
Nothing else gets through until the FINAL combat
Belial has a special rule letting him wound on 2s....ignoring the pelt of the balewolf
He gets just enough wounds and I fail every single 4++ to die in combat
Meanwhile my chaplain manages to kill ANOTHER knight as they stay locked in combat...hilarious
Left flank combat the wulfen dread lands 7 wounds on the terminators killing all but 1 (yay exploding 6s)
Unfortunately he is able to pull them out of combat with the terminators and I can't finish the job
Turn 4
Left flank I charge my wulfen dread into his stupid obsec banner but he makes 2 FNPs and lives with 1 wound
My terminators surround and kill his last surviving terminator
I use what few forces I have to try and maintain objectives but it doens't look good
gallery_49686_16232_186174.jpg
His turn
He is able to use his outrider mobility and obsec from the banner to steal or contest all but 1 objective
Final score and thoughts
gallery_49686_16232_2251.jpg
82-82...DRAW
My first draw ever
I failed miserably at my primary goal of killing his outriders...
I was also not expecting the combat squad terminators to start. Ended up giving him more mobility than I planned for so I couldn't lure him to 1 flank and take the other with speed.
The long fangs failed miserably again. This is the same list that failed against aggressors
What I am learning is a transhuman 4+ to wound really kills the output on this unit
I need to be careful what I throw them at in the future
I really miss our old strats to reroll wounds for LF
The bear biker was AWESOME...the ability to ignore most chaff was hilarious and I was almost able to Leroy Jenkins the backline. I had no idea Belial always wounded on 2s
And the main point of this is review of outriders...I hate them
I see how useful they can be in OTHER armies...DA have a 4++ strat and his usage of apothecary kept them coming back
For a SW it is just meh. My other lists are much more enjoyable for me right now.
Finally...screw DA. They hit on 2s better than SW now. The chapter tactic says if they didn't move that turn....that mean all the combat was giving them +1 when I charged
They get it shooting AND fighting
Really annoyed me by the time the game was over how much better it was
Edited by TiguriusX

Thank you for these detailed batreps. There’s a lot of good data here. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this post.

Thanks for commenting.

It is honestly a ton of work to do these.

Nice to know when others like it. Makes me know I am not wasting my time

Not wasting your time at all, in my opinion. For someone like me, who hasn’t been able to play any games yet in this new edition, this kind of resource really helps inform my choices in list building and model purchases. I can’t speak for everyone, obviously, but I definitely appreciate it!

Thank you for these detailed batreps. There’s a lot of good data here. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this post.

Thanks for commenting.

It is honestly a ton of work to do these.

Nice to know when others like it. Makes me know I am not wasting my time

Certainly not wasting your time. I've not played since 3rd edition and I find your reports give me plenty of food for thought and an insight into SW in 9th. Thank you.

One of the reasons I write batreps is I remember when I had no time to play actual games either.

I was only able to get my Space Wolf fix by reading active players and their batreps and living through their stories.

I remember being excited everytime there was a new Littlbitz batrep about his bikers.

I fondly remember a time we had more SW regulars who posted batreps but everyone faded away and stopped writing.

TiguriousX I appreciate the battle reports as well I'm only lucky enough get to play against a couple of fractions right now.

I think you need MM attack bikes or some other long range threat if you plan on dropping the fangs turn 1. Right now your opponent just responds with their defensive stratagems and makes it a dice game. With more shots you could get them to commit to the wrong unit or go after plan b hard. Plus the outriders haven't worked for you yet.

TiguriousX I appreciate the battle reports as well I'm only lucky enough get to play against a couple of fractions right now.

I think you need MM attack bikes or some other long range threat if you plan on dropping the fangs turn 1. Right now your opponent just responds with their defensive stratagems and makes it a dice game. With more shots you could get them to commit to the wrong unit or go after plan b hard. Plus the outriders haven't worked for you yet.

Ya my list evolution has already blown way past the lists in the saga 

The pods/leagues I play in are 4 games total with approx. 1 game a week.  The lists in this drop assault saga represented my SW knowledge 3 weeks ago while still in the experimenting phase.  I am 2-0 with the judiciar variant and 0-1-1 with the outrider variant (and I hate playing it lol)

My next saga with a current list should begin in Dec...I put the list in the army section recently so you can see

Your advice is spot on...using melta attack bikes is one of the upgrades I made.

The last variable I haven't figured out is which combo is better

A-4 bladeguard vets + 2 melta attack bikes + 1 cyber wolf

B-5 bladeguard vets + 1 melta attack bike + 2 cyber wolves

I will throw both of those into real combat soon

I just had a casual goofy match today with 16 eradicators (10 heavy melta...2 multi melta...4 regular eradicator) + Melta Bjorn + 2 melta attack bikes against an Eldar Titan (has T9)

i was playing with models I don't have and in total experimentation mode (usually I only play what I own)

I tried using my master of sanctity chaplain to buff the eradicators with recitation of focus and catechism of fire but results were meh

When it mattered most it was the bladeguard vets using savage strike that tore the titan down (hitting on 2s wounding on 4s...21 attacks before exploding 6s in the assault doctrine...they did 18 damage in melee...smash captain did 6...shooting 2 turns prior took off the rest)

SW bladeguard vets are insane if they make combat...2 of them are usually enough to wipe a 5 man primaris squad.  Always give them savage strike if you can spare

Edited by TiguriusX