Is anyone using Terminator characters?

I haven't really tried Termies at all in 9th yet. The extra wound looks good but they are still expensive to field and you really need to build your stratgey around them. I think DA Termies with built in THP are the new hotness. Not so sure about other Chapters yet.

From our discussions on the DA board, definitely a lot of us are eying the various Deathwing command squad characters, along with Interrogator-Chaplains in terminator armor.

The new MTO chaplain is really nice for this, a plastic Interrogator-Chaplain in TDA is really welcome. Unfortunately, the DW command squad has been out of stock for months now, and I don't think has had any come in at least to the US store since even before the Index.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I haven't but I have seen people using them. Termi Captains rather than power armor on foot seem good, the extra wound and 2+ save are nice, and termi chaplains deep striking in and using Oratory to auto-chant the +2 to charge litany both seem good, and is more defensive than the other option for the tactic, the jump pack. You end up slower afterward, but you are notably harder to kill. Termi librarians are interesting as they always have been, because they don't have a native invuln and deep striking to deliver a buff in the right spot turn 2 is good.

Yeah a Terminator Captain stands out to me. With a Storm Shield, he's got a 1+ armour save and you can go with other Relics too if you wanted to boost him further.

A Chapter Master's Angel Artiface is an interesting prospect, for the extra wound and toughness.

The Armour Indomitus is another one that gives a Terminator Captain an additional wound.

If you want to go really tough you could add Iron Will.

As for other characters...

I'm building an Ancient in Terminator armour to accompany my 10 Relic Terminators and Captain. As an Ultramarines player, the +1 attack is delicious.

And with a Chaplain using Commanding Oratory I fancy their chances getting into combat on the teleport drop.

I've built and painted up a Terminator Captain with TH + SS for my Deathwatch, my intention is to deep strike him alongside a Drop Pod with a pair of Veteran Combat Squads inside to get around the 10 man transport cap. Once he's there he can buff the Alpha Strike with Rites of Battle for a turn then get stuck into some backline targets/draw fire from more valuable units.

Dual Lightning Claw- (Master Crafted) White Scars Captain in Terminator armor isn't too shabby. 

7 swings on charge, 2+ to hit, D2 (D3 on turn 3+), re-roll all wounds. 

Before hitting them with strats, they can put in some real work on the table and can theoretically re-charge every turn. 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

I'm fond of the Terminator Libby for White Scars, but that's because I'm fond of regular Terminators under WS and I want to be able to drop Storm Wreathed and Plume of the Plains Runner with them without paying CP for the privilege. And it let's me put an invuln on my Libby, for what that's worth.

I'm using Terminator HQs to run with my Flamer Aggressors as the Gravis Captain is only good with the Boltstorm variant. So far the Librarian is pretty underwhelming; the Force Stave is an awful weapon, the Autocannon statline with D3 is not the type of thing I want to be using in close combat and his WS3 and 4 attacks is definitely subpar. I wish there were weapon options in the box, for sure. I don't think the Librarius powers are strong enough to make him especially playable for most chapters; I was excited for Psychic Fortress but actually weapons with greater than AP -2 seem to be rare outside the SM codex.

The Terminator Chaplain is about 20 pts cheaper than the Primaris Chaplain on a Bike, in exchange for a 2+ save and at the cost of losing T5, 2 wounds and an attack - not to mention 9" of movement on a model whose litanies are often aura-based. I don't think that's worth 20pts of savings personally, but the Bike guy is going to look a little goofy idling his whip amongst a bunch of tubby Aggressors waddling along. I might just run the Terminator for flavour/fluff or in a list where I can squeak something spicy in with that extra 20pts.

Edited by Alcyon

I'm using Terminator HQs to run with my Flamer Aggressors as the Gravis Captain is only good with the Boltstorm variant.

I'm curious how you reached that conclusion.

I kind of want to start counter-arguing the position but I'm not going to without knowing how you got there.

I'm using Terminator HQs to run with my Flamer Aggressors as the Gravis Captain is only good with the Boltstorm variant.

I kind of want to start counter-arguing the position but I'm not going to without knowing how you got there.

Definitely too Sith-like of an absolute on my part. Let me rephrase - I believe the Boltstorm variant is better with a Captain, as his re-roll aura affects their shooting, whereas it's arguably wasted on the Flamestorm Aggressors outside of combat. I think with the +1 to wound in shooting litany plus the option for Litany of Hate and/or Canticle of Hate, a Chaplain is a better option with more utility.

Definitely too Sith-like of an absolute on my part. Let me rephrase - I believe the Boltstorm variant is better with a Captain, as his re-roll aura affects their shooting, whereas it's arguably wasted on the Flamestorm Aggressors outside of combat. I think with the +1 to wound in shooting litany plus the option for Litany of Hate and/or Canticle of Hate, a Chaplain is a better option with more utility.

Ah, now it makes sense. I read "Terminator HQ" and wondered how a Terminator Captain synced with Flamestorm Aggressors better that a Gravis Captain. Chaplain is a no-brainer. I'd even argue in the other direction, that if you're specifically looking for synergy with that one unit a Chaplain is a better choice than a Captain for Boltstorm Aggressors as well.