New to Kill Team, played a game, here are my thoughts

Smoke Frog

I played a game of Kill Team with my uncle over the weekend with my Admech versus his Eldar; first time I have played anything in the 40K universe since the Battle for Maccrage box set was new, and first time he had played any 40K-game period! We both have a lot of experience with WHF battles, so some things like to-hit and strength/toughness were very straightforward (though I miss my tables), and he had taught me Warmachine earlier that day so we were fresh and ready to learn a new game.

Basic lists were pretty simple (also my first time using Battle Scribe):

Admech (Ryza, didn't actually use forgeworld rules during the game):

• Leader- Ranger Alpha (Maul, Phosphor Pistol)
  • Zealot- Vanguard Alpha (Taser Goad and Rad Pistol)
  • Comms- Vanguard with radcarbine
  • Sniper- Ranger with the long rifle
  • 2x Infiltrators with powerswords
  • 2x Rangers with galvanic rifles
  • 1x Vanguard with radcarbine

My uncles Eldar:

• Leader- Avenger with dual pistols
  • Sniper- Ranger
  • Scout- Ranger
  • 2x Rangers
  • 3x Avengers
  • 1x Guardian with Flamer
  • I think there were at least two more Guardians on his list, can't exactly remember the loadout.

My forces on the (kitchen) table:

gallery_103048_16622_139105.jpg

The biggest thing we could have done better from the start was MOAR TERRAIN! I happened to bring my old Battle for Maccrage scatter terrain and some of the stuff from an ork terrain box, but it left the center of the board WIDE open. This turned out to give me a huge advantage on the first turn, when my long-range sniper iand 30" galvanic rifles killed off three of his guys during the first round of shooting.

Things we didn't like:

• Rulebook layout. It was super hard to navigate, and not at all as intuitive as a read as the Warmachine game we played earlier the same day. We had multiple instances of searching for rules but finding them across multiple pages, and there was no index to help us out. Specifically figuring out the "flesh wound" rules was really weird. The only thing that helped us move past the rulebook was our experience with a previous GW game (WHF).
  • Charging. Is charging at 2D6 standard for regular 40K? We both did not like it; it didnt make sense (for example) for a Sicarian Infiltrator, whose standard movement is 8 inches, to charge across the board to get into combat for anything less than 8 inches. What is the justification for this? Especially when the Advance rule just let you add +D6 to your movement role. In the end, we just house ruled that all charges cannot be less than the normal movement when you roll.
  • Overwatch. Also didn't like that overwatch you could only hit on a roll of a 6+ when you had an overwatch charge reaction. Maybe we would feel differently if one of us was playing Tau, but this didn't seem right to us when we ran our charges. We still only allowed assault weapons to conduct overwatch per the rules, but added another +1 to hit modifier instead of making the role just a flat 6+.

That being said, the game was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. We got a ton of things wrong (and the gripes i had above are probably incomprehensible to experienced players), but it was a great way to get my Admech (and my uncles Eldar) onto the table!

Hope to play more next time I come up for a visit.

Always good to see more Kill Team being played!

A couple of things that might help with the issues you had:

You're right on terrain, KT works best when you've got a solid amount of LoS blocking across the board. I completely get it if you're just starting out, but the pic above is very, VERY minimal in terms of terrain. If you haven't got anything else to hand, I'd suggest putting a few boxes or stacks of books down? It doesn't look as pretty, but your games will be much more enjoyable!

That has a knock on effect with regard to your point about charging - close combat is good in KT, but if you have no proper terrain then suddenly it does feel like you can't charge fast enough! If you balance up the board a bit more, 2D6 is fine (although still with an element of risk involved that makes for more tactical play). I fear that quick, CC oriented teams would be overpowered if they could always be guaranteed 7 or 8" (or even 9"!) minimum charges.

Overwatch: You say Assault weapons only, so that might be why its a bit rubbish for you? All weapons can Overwatch, so (although its still not likely) there is a chance of getting Dark Lance/Autocannon shots to the face!!!

Rulebook: True on this one, but there are some good resources out there. I quite like the following PDF, only 2 pages but covers the main rules really well: https://www.farfaraway.org/blog/2019/01/08/kill-team-quick-reference/

Hope these are a help!

• 2 weeks later...

Its great to hear you liked playing kill team.

It is a good system that is short and fun games.

I particularly like it when you have heights higher than 6" and models start taking fall test if they get hit.

There are other summary rules out in the web. check out the boardgamegeek.com

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/256066/warhammer-40000-kill-team/files