Vanguard Veterans with Heavy Thunder Hammers

L30n1d4s

I think Vanguard Veterans (especially with Storm Shields and Lightning Claws) are one of the standout choices for all Space Marine armies, based on the new rules from 9th, but DW get one thing unique to their Vanguard that no other chapter has access to: Heavy Thunder Hammers

Specifically, these weapons are S: x2, AP-3 Dmg4, -1 to Hit rolls when attacking with them.

Now, they are two-handed (so replace all wargear options) and cost more than other types of specialized close combat weapons, but the ability to give all or several members of a squad a Dmg4 weapon is pretty amazing, especially on a highly mobile platform like JP equipped Vanguard Veterans.

Consider the following:

-10 Vanguard Veterans with 5 Heavy THs (including on the Sgt, with Master-Crafted for Dmg 5), 5 Stormshield/Lightning Claw

-JP Watch Captain with Storm Shield, Xenophase Blade, Tome of Ectoclades Relic

-JP Chief Librarian with +1 to cast WL Trait ("Peremorphic Resonance," "Fortified with Contempt," and "Severance" powers)

Use the DW Strat "Brotherhood of Veterans" to give the Vanguard Space Wolf Tactics (so +1 to Hit, cancelling out the -1 to Hit for the Heavy Thunder Hammers) and then cast Peremorphic Resonance on them from the Librarian (giving them another +1 to Hit, for a net of WS2+)

On the charge, that is 16 x S8 AP-3 Dmg4 (Dmg5 for the Sgt) attacks that hit on 2+s, re-rollable, and, if necessary, can be buffed up with the Tome of Ectoclades for a turn to re-roll all wounds against a specific unit type. Additionally, the unit gets 20 x S4 AP-2 Dmg1 attacks that always re-roll to Wound, thanks to the Lightning Claw rules. Whether against hordes, 2W/3W MEQs, or even high Toughness vehicles and monsters, this unit is dangerous in pretty much any scenario. Even if everyone but the Sgt is killed, with his Dmg5 Heavy Thunder Hammer he is a threat to the vast majority of characters, since it only takes 1-2 attacks to get through to kill them outright (i.e. even Guilliman dies to two unsaved Dmg5 attacks).

Durability-wise, the Librarian can also cast Fortified with Contempt on the Vanguard, giving them a 5+++ FNP... for the LC/SS models, that means that have 2W 2+/4++ and the 5+++ FNP, making them quite tough to chew through with either high volume of massed low AP weapons or a few high AP/high Dmg attacks. In terms of mobility, the entire battle group can move 12" a turn, or can start in Reserve and DS in together starting Turn 2.

Finally, there are a few other ways to buff this unit, as the situation dictates:

1) The Librarian can provide additional support, as required, by reducing enemy auras by -3" (or removing them completely, if he beats their Ld with his Psychic test).

2) If you are fighting against Xenos, then you can use Death to the Alien! to give +1A to all models

Edited by L30n1d4s

That's not an issue, they go from natively 3+ to 2+ (-1, +1, +1).

I like it, but it's a gazillion points...

Honestly I was thinking 5 claw+shield vanvets as part of a Killteam with obsec as premier bully unit. Maybe even just 4 plus one bike to shave 2 inches off charges and enable fallback+charge...

Most hard targets that you'd point a unit of hvy hammers at mostly likely would die easier/cheaper from other options we have like Eradicators, heavy bolter spam and SIA stalker spam.

Vanguards i find dont need nearly that much offensive equipment. 1 hammer, some shields, chainswords and a couple claws can 1 round most stuff already before factoring in doctrine and strat combos.

What I like best is using them to entangle large squads. So far the fall back and shoot and/or charge is limited and often costs cp

With some shields these guys can punch hard but with some proper attack angles you can limit your killing. In Most situations people leave the guys in hth to save cp and get a chance to throw some hands before they die.

As lethal as they can be their best ability is durability at a very reasonable cost

25- chainsword and shield

28- claw and shield

24- claw and chainsword

Boss leadership, attacks, 2+/4+

Edited by Debauchery101