Sisters, Lieutenants, Inquisitors oh my.

ValourousHeart

I have some questions about the different rules that allow a unit to not take up a slot.

All of the rules in the Sister of battle codex follow this pattern.

Ecclesiarchy Battle Conclave: If your army is Battle-forged, this unit does not take up a slot in a Detachment that includes any MINISTORUM PRIESTS.

Which to me reads like there is no choice in the matter.

But other codexes don't seem to be written with the same firm language.

For Space Marines we have...

Company Heroes: If your army is Battle-forged, then for each Lieutenant unit included in a Detachment, a second Lieutenant unit can be included in that Detachment without taking up an additional Battlefield Role slot

It is clear that 2 Lieutenants can fill 1 HQ slot, but what isn't clear, to me at least, is if that a 2nd Lieutenant never takes up a 2nd HQ slot?

For example, if you are looking to run a small battalion, can you have 2 Lieutenants fill the 2 required HQ slots?

Last one is the Inquisitors and Agents of the Imperium.

You can include one AGENT OF THE IMPERIUM unit in each IMPERIUM (excluding FALLEN) Patrol, Battalion and Brigade Detachment in your army without those units taking up slots in those Detachments. The inclusion of an AGENT OF THE IMPERIUM unit does not prevent other units from their Detachment from benefiting from Detachment abilities (e.g. Chapter Tactics, Defenders of Humanity, etc.), and it does not prevent other units from your army from benefiting from abilities that require every model in your army to have that ability (e.g. Combat Doctrines, etc.). An AGENT OF THE IMPERIUM unit included in a Patrol, Battalion or Brigade Detachment in this manner is ignored for any rules that state all units from that Detachment must have at least one Faction keyword in common (e.g. in a matched play game), and when determining your Army Faction.

Does this mean that you CANNOT include an Agent of the Imperium in a Vanguard, Spearhead, or Outrider detachment, or that they ALWAYS take up a slot in those detachments?

And for the Patrol, Battalion, and Brigade do they never take a slot, or is it that you have the option for them to not take up a slot?

Since it says "can", I'd say you 2 LTs can fill 2 HQ slots. 

For the Sisters stuff, it looks like they can't fill a slot unless you don't have a Ministorum Priest.

An Inquisitor can be in any detachment normally and takes up a slot. But if it is in a Patrol/Battalion/Briage, then it doesn't have to take up a slot.