Hope everyone had a good Christmas time (or general relax if you don't celebrate it). Quick update on the Emperor's Children officer, the gold is basically done, though it went a bit grainy on the upper part of the shoulder trim. The purple is also finished, I need to wash and highlight the cape (same method as with the Crimson Fist) and then focus on the white areas and blades. C&C welcome!

med_gallery_71441_16743_13690.jpg

@Johanhgg Cheers mate, I'm really happy with the build and enjoying painting him too. I've always loved the Emperor's Children and their colours.

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been quite a while... I've finally got that Emperor's Children Captain/Champion painted up. I was pretty happy when I was done, but now the photos have left me feeling quite dissatisfied, so if anyone has any advice or criticism, please fire away!

med_gallery_71441_16743_42222.jpg

med_gallery_71441_16743_20698.jpg

med_gallery_71441_16743_43953.jpg

Also seems as if the photos are a bit grainy too...

In general he looks good to me. Nice clean lines between the purple and the white. A good bit of colour on the cloak. Do you usually do your power weapons as metallic? Is the option for another smattering of colour there too otherwise. But really he looks good, I'd say finish the base. For me I often do not enjoy my own work until I've the base done and the rim painted. Before then it's just not a finished miniature, and then boom.

@Torbenos Thanks for your thoughts! I normally go for metallic, partly because I think it's more realistic, partly because it's easier... I did try go for a more blue sheen to these, glazing and mixing it in with the silver, but I think I could have pushed that much more. Several people have mentioned the base, I think I'll feel much happier once the base is finished and not just a bright white disk... 

@space wolf Thanks! I think there will be another popping up soon, can't seem to stay away from the legion...

Well, following on the Emperor's Children officer, I bring you a somewhat more humble officer of the thirteenth, nothing less than an Ultramarine!

med_gallery_71441_16754_44694.jpg

med_gallery_71441_16754_60013.jpg

I think the face looks somewhat like paper-mache, but I'm quite happy with the freehand and grime, plus the plasma glow, so overall, I'd say we're on a win! This chap is planned to be part of a diorama where he'll be joining some pals to face down some of Lorgar's dogs. Before that though, I think I'll be going back to the Emperor's Children marine to base and sharpen his highlights.

Great work on the Ultramarine, love the battle worn look, bracing pose and fresh blood on the chainaxe.
I don't have much criticism regarding the Emperor's Children champion, it's a solid mini with a clean paintjob. If you wanted to take it further you could bring lighter, fine highlights to the model to make the details pop and add depth to the model.

Thanks for the kind words @Markus_ the chainsword is probably my favourite part of the model. As for the champion, I think I'm going to try highlight the gold and add some recess shading to the white panels, maybe add some blue shading too. Obviously both models need basing too.

Time to keep the hobby progress going, I've knocked out an Apothecary to join the Crimson Fist Captain I painted up earlier. I've picked up the tentacle/cable tool from Greenstuffworld, so it might be time to try and make some slain xenos beasties for these two to have taken down.

med_gallery_71441_16754_32855.jpg

med_gallery_71441_16754_15570.jpg

Thanks @NomadPainting I'm really happy with the build.

@space wolf Cheers mate, he might be a healer, but he's an Astartes first and foremost, ready to take down any enemy of the Emperor.

• 2 months later...

Well then, it's been quite a while again, hopefully this page will see some more regular updates soon!

Today we've got a test model for a truescale 30k army that I decided not to continue with (due to lack of time/needing to focus on one force at a time). He's a bit rough, but I was pretty happy with him at the time:

med_gallery_71441_16754_1504.jpg

med_gallery_71441_16754_48031.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the nice words re the big assault marine, perhaps he shall see some paint in the future!

Recently I've been playing around with some of the old veteran sculpts, which I think are absolutely cracking. I decided to go for Dark Angels as the chapter, but will be throwing in some bone armour plates similar to the 30k Companions. I'm also going to be comparing a drybrushed speedy technique versus something a bit more standard. Here are the two speedy chaps, still very WiP and awaiting some Lahmian Medium to blend the highlights:

med_gallery_71441_16754_3655.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well then, it's been quite a while since I updated here! The veterans have been done for a while, but I still need to finish their bases. In the mean time, I've been rather distracted by my Iron Hands, including this beast:

med_gallery_71441_14877_132072.jpg

It's sitting at about 75% completion. I need to tone up the rust and stains, plus finish off the turrets and weapon systems, etc.

• 4 weeks later...