[SPOILER ALERT] Marneus Calgar is...

phoenix01

It's not really your whole view of the UM's, just one character.

Dante got this treatment a few years ago in his book by Haley. 

and Helbrecht too as he lied about his numbers for the crusade for Armageddon to get the command for the entire Adeptus Astartes fleet.

So local marine from a bloodline obsessed with legacy and honoring their fallen dead took an action to honor the legacy if the honored dead?

And he did so by a well-established Astartes tradition too...

Honestly this is the opposite of ground-breaking for the setting for anyone with more than a passing awareness. It only takes the step of making Calgar more likable and giving a fairly solid reason for why he is well-loved, since what he did was extremely UM.

I sort of loathe these comics as a premise tbh and am genuinely shocked at how well-ish this is turning out. Not because they bring more people in, that is fantastic, but because they are written by people that seem to not even meet BL's standards for knowing the setting. More a creator than an audience problem idk. I am actually fairly pleased with this since, even if accidentally, the author stumbled onto some well-troden lore and themes , bringing them to wider awareness. As someone that adores the legacy-component of the Astartes, I am exceedingly happy.

Now if someone could make whoever wrote that review familiarize themselves with the content they are reviewing, Id be truly happy.

Just please god dont let this turn into another 'hEy GUys the UM actually suck' meme. I have had my fill of those.

The biggest issue i have is that there was a Chaos infiltrated Agent, a secret operative...of KHORNE (of all things), doing this for years...

In the UM backyard, and No one ever suspected that there was something weird going on?...

I can let the "Too Conceited to know something is afoot" thing go, we know Marines are arrogant...

But a SECRET OPERATIVE OF KHORNE!!!.

Nope...,absolutly :cussing not, :cuss this, :cuss that, and :cuss It!...

Thank the God of Skulls that since its a comic, it ain't canon...

No one will give a :cuss about it in a few months, and what only matters is whats in the BL Novels, The Codexes and the Ruelbook, anything else is temporary Deviant Art Fanfic.

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest issue i have is that there was a Chaos infiltrated Agent, a secret operative...of KHORNE (of all things), doing this for years...

In the UM backyard, and No one ever suspected that there was something weird going on?...

I can let the "Too Conceited to know something is afoot" thing go, we know Marines are arrogant...

But a SECRET OPERATIVE OF KHORNE!!!.

Nope...,absolutly :cussing not, :censored: this, :censored: that, and :censored: It!...

Thank the God of Skulls that since its a comic, it ain't canon...

No one will give a :censored: about it in a few months, and what only matters is whats in the BL Novels, The Codexes and the Ruelbook, anything else is temporary Deviant Art Fanfic.

The Ultramarines just aren't very good at their self-appointed role of overseer-  or apparently, at cleaning up debris from the Shadow Crusade. :yes:

Being an agent of khorne doesn't mean you're automatically a frothing madman. No khornate warlord would even be able to exist for any period of time if that were the case. Posing as a trainer for program with a high mortality rate on a hostile death moon is a perfect way to sacrifice people under everyone's nose.