How to make hard returns for Captions

Doctor Perils

Hi, down in the liver we're wondering how to insert hard returns to use the "captions" BBCode in articles? The BBCode Guide provides no explanation, double line jumps insert white space, and the html <br/> tag doesn't work

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/301536-the-liber-surgery/?p=5480373

Anyone have an idea of how to do this?

Thanks

The element for which the caption is provided goes
in the "content" area. Note how the width of the
content drives the width of the caption. So you
must use hard returns in order to control caption
width. I've entered hard returns every 50 spaces.
The "option" portion is where the actual caption goes.
The "option" portion is where the actual caption goes.
All I did was insert a hard return at specific intervals, 50 characters in the examples shown in the BBCode Guide. When I utilize captions and sidebars in articles, I often have to play around a bit and use the preview post function extensively before I finally submit the post. The text in the sidebars, if presented outside of the sidebars and including the hard returns would look like:

All of the above is entered as:
[captionleft=The "option" portion is where the actual caption goes.]The element for which the caption is provided goes
width. I've entered hard returns every 50 spaces.[/captionleft][captionright=The "option" portion is where the actual caption goes.]The element for which the caption is provided goes
width. I've entered hard returns every 50 spaces.[/captionright]All I did was insert a hard return at specific intervals, 50 characters in the examples shown in the BBCode Guide. When I utilize captions and sidebars in articles, I often have to play around a bit and use the preview post function extensively before I finally submit the post. The text in the sidebars, if presented [i]outside[/i] of the sidebars and including the hard returns would look like:

:blush.: :facepalm: 

Ah, in the caption itself. I searched through the Tabula Astartes to see if there was an example. Luckily, there was one in the A's, Ioldanach's Avenging Lions. That may have broken since 2011, though, and I don't want to break it in the topic if it's still working, so let's experiment.

[captionleft=I'll hit a hard return after this.
Let's see if this worked.]12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
The lines above show the limit of 50 characters.
A similar line in the caption (red box) shows what
it looks like there. I [i]didn't[/i] exceed the
50-character limit in the red box. Note that I'm
composing this using the text editor instead of
the WYSIWYG editor in order to ensure that I keep
to the limit of 50 characters (the text editor
uses a monospace font whereas the WYSIWYG editor
uses proportional fonts).
[/captionleft]

The lines above show the limit of 50 characters.

A similar line in the caption (red box) shows what

it looks like there. I didn't exceed the

50-character limit in the red box. Note that I'm

composing this using the text editor instead of

the WYSIWYG editor in order to ensure that I keep

to the limit of 50 characters (the text editor

uses a monospace font whereas the WYSIWYG editor

uses proportional fonts).

I'll hit a hard return after this. 12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890 Let's see if this worked.

After posting the above, I've used the Preview Post function to see how it looks before actually submitting the post.

And it failed. The software automatically removed the hard returns after I hit "submit" (and I had to go back and edit them in after using the preview).

So it appears that it worked at one time and is now broken. :sad.: 

That's probably why I used graphics instead of BBCode when I wanted multi-line captions here.

I'm pretty sure that the problem also exists for the "newcaptionleft" BBCode (unfortunately, there's no "newcaptionright"), but let's check to be sure.

[newcaptionleft=The "option" portion is where the actual caption goes.
And here's a hard return to test it out.]The element for which the caption is provided goes
width. I've entered hard returns every 50 spaces.[/newcaptionleft]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean eu rhoncus risus. Sed tincidunt egestas porta. Fusce iaculis justo non lacus mattis scelerisque. Pellentesque lobortis sit amet nunc ornare euismod. Suspendisse ultricies sem justo, ac fermentum nisl tincidunt sed. Sed lobortis suscipit libero, vel ultricies risus pharetra nec. Donec arcu libero, aliquet vel tortor vitae, hendrerit pulvinar justo. Vestibulum ullamcorper, dolor at dictum tempus, dolor lorem varius nisi, at facilisis enim purus eu orci. Vestibulum quam enim, consectetur luctus sapien sit amet, ultrices vehicula odio. Aenean varius mauris ligula, at tempus dui interdum lobortis.

The "option" portion is where the actual caption goes. And here's a hard return to test it out.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean eu rhoncus risus. Sed tincidunt egestas porta. Fusce iaculis justo non lacus mattis scelerisque. Pellentesque lobortis sit amet nunc ornare euismod. Suspendisse ultricies sem justo, ac fermentum nisl tincidunt sed. Sed lobortis suscipit libero, vel ultricies risus pharetra nec. Donec arcu libero, aliquet vel tortor vitae, hendrerit pulvinar justo. Vestibulum ullamcorper, dolor at dictum tempus, dolor lorem varius nisi, at facilisis enim purus eu orci. Vestibulum quam enim, consectetur luctus sapien sit amet, ultrices vehicula odio. Aenean varius mauris ligula, at tempus dui interdum lobortis.

And that didn't work either. :dry.:

Oddly, the first time I hit Preview Post and then went back to the editor, the software inserted the data that appears in my profile (at left) into the post before the code tags. I edited them out for the final submission, but it adds more clues to the mystery of who killed Cock Robin.

I did a cursory check of the BBCode in the system, but didn't see anything that stood out on a quick glance. So we'll have to dig deeper. The problem might not be in the BBCode editor, though, instead residing in the post editor and other technical stuff that is way beyond my ken (that's why we have smart admins like WarriorFish and Excessus).