New Thousand Sons units for 9th?

byrd9999

Honestly, I think the psychic dreadnaut dream wont come.

They are just too similar in battlefield role to a daemon prince.

Stats slightly differ, but not THAT much.

Anyways, hope is the first step on the road to disappointment and all. I don't see new models coming.

Maybe some new AoS imports.

MAYBE a terrain piece (that will be useless, because GW either hates, forgets or outright don't understands TS)

Anyways, hope is the first step on the road to disappointment and all. I don't see new models coming.

MAYBE a terrain piece (that will be useless, because GW either hates, forgets or outright don't understands TS)

Well I would counter your similarity argument with the steady stream of Lieutenants we have been blessed with over the years! :wink:

I look at the Blood Angels psychic dreadnought, and I look at the Wolves Bjorn Character dreadnought, and that is the combo I want. 

A cool character is far overdue. The beauty of the character dreadnought is he can have the shooting platform a Daemon Prince never can. (mind bullets or literal arm cannons.) 

I look at how GW have tried to enhance profit by making single models that everyone (who plays that army) needs to have. Perhaps Death guard are the best example. There's a massive stream of really potent characters, either elite, or HQ. 

Anyway I see the Thousand Sons Dread as having a very old school look, but modern psychics and an incredibly potent, psychic charged khopesh. And maybe for once we'd have a character that rivals Ahriman for 'must have'. 

+++++++++++++

Getting off the Dread thing I've always thought that the pivotal moment of the story when Yvraine is trying to save her life from Ahriman's attack at some point during the return of Guilliman. There's the cool moment where she is literally showing Ahriman "life from death" by turning some of his Rubrics back into who they were before the catastrophe. Some of them recognize Ahriman and are confused, as if time stood still for them since the Heresy.

Some of those guys, resurrected in that moment, could be really cool.

I'll tell you one thing... I'm going to lose it if we end up with more goats!

Edited by Prot

Well I would counter your similarity argument with the steady stream of Lieutenants we have been blessed with over the years! :wink:

I look at the Blood Angels psychic dreadnought, and I look at the Wolves Bjorn Character dreadnought, and that is the combo I want.

A cool character is far overdue. The beauty of the character dreadnought is he can have the shooting platform a Daemon Prince never can. (mind bullets or literal arm cannons.)

I look at how GW have tried to enhance profit by making single models that everyone (who plays that army) needs to have. Perhaps Death guard are the best example. There's a massive stream of really potent characters, either elite, or HQ.

Anyway I see the Thousand Sons Dread as having a very old school look, but modern psychics and an incredibly potent, psychic charged khopesh. And maybe for once we'd have a character that rivals Ahriman for 'must have'.

+++++++++++++

Getting off the Dread thing I've always thought that the pivotal moment of the story when Yvraine is trying to save her life from Ahriman's attack at some point during the return of Guilliman. There's the cool moment where she is literally showing Ahriman "life from death" by turning some of his Rubrics back into who they were before the catastrophe. Some of them recognize Ahriman and are confused, as if time stood still for them since the Heresy.

Some of those guys, resurrected in that moment, could be really cool.

I'll tell you one thing... I'm going to lose it if we end up with more goats!

You may be in for a baaaaaaahd day then. Budum tsss

I'll see myself out.

• 2 weeks later...

What AoS have and we dont are some fantasy -looked characters and 32mm based bird-headed cultist...

Edit:spelling

Edited by templarphoenix

Could Possessed work in Thousand Sons? 

I've been thinking about this because my Black Legion possessed have become my favourite unit (for fun/moderately competitive games).

Traditionally I've always played Spawn with my Thousand Sons. I have jokingly referred to them as my squad of 'failed' sorcerers. But really, perhaps that's the role Thousand Sons possessed could have?

There are some cheeky possible rules there as well.  (Just looking at what they did with DG possessed.)

I've been thinking about this because my Black Legion possessed have become my favourite unit (for fun/moderately competitive games).

Traditionally I've always played Spawn with my Thousand Sons. I have jokingly referred to them as my squad of 'failed' sorcerers. But really, perhaps that's the role Thousand Sons possessed could have?

There are some cheeky possible rules there as well.  (Just looking at what they did with DG possessed.)

I dont think it works lore-wise, given that everyone is either a sorcerer or rubric. Maybe some sort of Rubric raptors?

I dont think it works lore-wise, given that everyone is either a sorcerer or rubric. Maybe some sort of Rubric raptors?

My TS possessed are Space Wolf test subjects/Wolf Brothers. 

There are some cheeky possible rules there as well. (Just looking at what they did with DG possessed.)

I dont see why not, if Helbrutes are just sacks of meat that were blinded by the promises of power and sorcery then why not bind a few demons to the same wretches and make possessed too.

Honestly, I think the sky is the limit if a writer/developer got creative.

I don't see why there are many if any restrictions considering in the codex "vassal" warbands are part of the official army structure.

Aside from psychic dreadnoughts and other Fw goodies, I would to see Exalted Sorcerers developed better, an amazing kit, not a bad darasheet just completely overshadowed by Demon Princes, Ahriman and Magnus...and honestly a sorcerer in terminator armor. More options to them and varied special rules and specializations.

An elite unit like sorcerer cabal, made of aspiring sorcerers or something but have different weapon options.

A heavy support unit of Rubrics on discs of tzeentch.

A powered armor unit that is brought back from the Rubric but still loyal to the TS.

Idk a book with more than a handful of half baked datasheets.

Edited by Raven1

There are some cheeky possible rules there as well. (Just looking at what they did with DG possessed.)

I dont see why not, if Helbrutes are just sacks of meat that were blinded by the promises of power and sorcery then why not bind a few demons to the same wretches and make possessed too.

I don't see why there are many if any restrictions considering in the codex "vassal" warbands are part of the official army structure.

If they wanted to add Possessed via that means it works, but narratively they can't be XV Legion geneseed unless GW wants to retcon certain aspects of the Thousand Sons. Adding them in that way doesn't give us a new unit unique to us, just another importation.

The vassal warbands in the legion organization are supposed to represent a reason to ally in Heretic Astartes codex, not TS forces. Why even have a separate codex if they just keep adding in HA codex aspects. I'd rather they replace stuff like Defilers and Forgefiends with actually unique, legion specific engines.

I'm down for disc Havoc's though.

You are right why even have a separate codex. Its what 4 HQs, 2 elites, 3 troops, 2 FA, 4 HS, 1 flyer and Magnus. It should be a CSM supplement in all honesty.

What does it matter if choices aren't the XV legion. It's been 10k years mostly in the warp for the army in the fluff. The XV legion doesn't exist. It's a meaningless constraint. The helbrutes are technically XV legion since they are other beings seeking power from the warp, so why not add in other units following the same theme of enslaved seekers of warp power.

Edited by Raven1

You are right why even have a separate codex. Its what 4 HQs, 2 elites, 3 troops, 2 FA, 4 HS, 1 flyer and Magnus. It should be a CSM supplement in all honesty.

What does it matter if choices aren't the XV legion. It's been 10k years mostly in the warp for the army in the fluff. The XV legion doesn't exist. It's a meaningless constraint. The helbrutes are technically XV legion since they are other beings seeking power from the warp, so why not add in other units following the same theme of enslaved seekers of warp power.

I don’t think Thousand Sons should be folded in, but let’s be honest: adding Possessed (which are not a fluffy choice) would just add to the litany of shared data sheets the Thousand Sons have with Heretic Astartes. Throw in the fact we have multiple AoS units, Thousand Sons only have like 5 kits unique to them. If they just keep giving us HA stuff, why not do why GW already did with the majority of marine chapters.

I’m not against Possessed just to give us options, by I’d much rather get unique, fluffy choices. I actually like possessed a lot, but they don’t fit the Thousand Sons, and better fit an allied warband

And the XV legion is absolutely still in existence. The Legion organization chart you yourself pointed out is evidence of this, supported by the fact that they have a domain in real space.

A Thousand Sons faction really ought to be based around Sorcerers casting spells and Rubrics/Scarabs, so I would like to see plenty of buffs/options/combos based around an Exalted Sorcerer + Rubrics/Scarabs under his command.

TS can remain its own faction, and doesn't necessarily need any new/imported units, if the Codex writers get creative.

We need a greater variety of spells, spells should be easier to cast, harder to deny, and we need to be able to cast spells that buff the areas where TS are currently weak.

We could gain anti-tank boosts from spells that buff boltershells with x2 Strength, etc...

Honestly there'd be some great options in porting some 30k options to 40k. A plastic kit for 40k Khenetai would provide some power armoured CC options. The Amitara (spelling?) could be a great long-range unit as sort of pseudo-psyker snipers. A Psychic dread (ideally contemptor) would be a super neat HQ choice. But straying from 30k, maybe a unique "Havoc" unit?

I was thinking about this the other day, rules to break rule of one for failed casts, ability to cast one spell successfully twice in a phase as a strategem, and double strength/damage spell that worked on bolters only would allow put us in a good spot.

I was thinking about this the other day, rules to break rule of one for failed casts, ability to cast one spell successfully twice in a phase as a strategem, and double strength/damage spell that worked on bolters only would allow put us in a good spot.

The idea is nice but I think it's too many spells, plus you can always be failed or denied. I would add some sort of "Arcane Abilities." Something similar to an Apothecary or Chaplain. Not their rules exactly but abilities to buff, improve or what have you that are innate abilities as opposed to just spells on spells on spells.

Honestly there'd be some great options in porting some 30k options to 40k. A plastic kit for 40k Khenetai would provide some power armoured CC options. The Amitara (spelling?) could be a great long-range unit as sort of pseudo-psyker snipers. A Psychic dread (ideally contemptor) would be a super neat HQ choice. But straying from 30k, maybe a unique "Havoc" unit?

The Ammitara don't even have a 30k sculpt, so I doubt we'd ever see them XD

The Khenetai are supposdely all dead, and "swift swordmasters" don't vibe will with rubric.

Psyker dread is too much like prince to be worth the work.

A "havoc" variant could be cool, had we had a selection of heavy weapons to begin with. we only have soulreapers (and even they are far more restricted than any other marine's heavies)

Basically, nothing can be done with the codex without releasing a LOT of models, and even that's iffy because you can't retro fix the rubric and scarab boxes to add weapons.

Or, by totally overhauling how we psyker to make it viable as our main workhorse. seeing how we currently don't cast any better than regular marines, nor have better spells, and don't even have a wider selection-I'd say small hope of that.

What does it matter if choices aren't the XV legion.

'cause this faction is one of the only 2 traitor legions that can achieve their typical goals without traditional-warfare support elements, such as taking over a planet that's not a Forge World or Cadia or Fenris (oof) orsomething, as per the fiction. Alpha Legion is the other one.

The army should be playable just with the TS core units. I'm not saying that can't open up more options, I'm just saying that if they get creative and make the spells terrifying, or spend half the effort they spent on Dark Angels, it can be a viable standalone faction. Just look at the flood of special rules DA got.

I think we can expect more rules, and less models imported in. I've given up all hope for new kits

Edited by Archaeinox

I vote the return of combat automata like the 15th had in 30k. Only this time they are twisted things cooked up by the dark mechanicus.

Maybe with a little psychic flair to them. Possibly the ability to cast through them if within a certain range or as a strat. They'd make excellent fire platforms and be solid guards for sorcerers.

I think something like this would be fair. Your thoughts?

M8 S6 T7 W6 A3 Ld8 Sv 3+/5++ (125pts - Unit Size 1-3)

Automata Khopesh: Melee S+1 AP -3 D2 (No Cost)
TL Soulreaper Cannon: Heavy 8 Str 5 AP -3 D1 (No Cost)

[upgrade options]
TL Ectoplasma Cannon: Heavy 2d3 Str 7 AP -3 D2 (+15pts)
Channeling Stave: Melee S+2 AP -1 D2 (+20pts - A Thousand Sons Psyker within 12" may choose this model as the point of origin for any psychic power cast. This ability may only be used once per turn.)

Psychic Protectors - Thousand Sons characters within 3" of a Battle Automata may not be targeted by shooting attacks unless they are the closest model to the shooting unit.

Edited by Xenoscry

Some "arcane technica robot" type unit may be helpful, since TSons have almost 0 playable anti-tank unit.

Don't wish for "rubric possessed" or any muscle dedicated melee unit like this. GW would finally give you a "greater tzzangor" as response.

Sort of like Ushabti? That would be pretty cool and add a new dynamic to the army visually too.

Xenoscry was basically porting/channeling these guys, or a mix thereof, and I fully agree a 40ked version would be a great addition, or even just a TSon specific Dread/brute varient that takes on aspects of both of the unique 30k units..

99550108182_CastellaxAceaAetherflameCann

99560102256_ThousandSonsOsironDread01.jp

Edited by Trokair

I really don't see why we can't have bots again. Existing fluff from a novel be damned. Maybe we did lose the original bots on Fenris, but this does not prevent new patterns/machines from being built. Occasionally I see a mentality floating around that we need a thousand son equivalent of stuff from the chaos codex(possessed, venomcrawlers, havocs, etc.). This really should not be the case and I pick up that GW feels the same.  Just like our rotting cousins, a legion as unique as ours and chosen by Tzeentch himself should be utterly unique and distinct in our unit choices. This is why I believe we will never be a supplement, same as death guard. I think it is a simply matter of circumstance that we still use maulerfiends, heldrakes, forgefiends, and defilers. In the sense that there wasn't enough to add to our roster as the first ever stand alone god legion codex, so GW kept these units in our book and "borrowed" the mutalith just to help fill it out. 

With the move of Sortiarius next to Prospero, carving out a private little solar empire, gathering fresh psyker recruits, and transforming old Prospero into a forgeworld/military stronghold of sorts, this...to me is showing that GW is laying the groundwork to give Thousand sons all sorts of new toys. I feel it's only a matter of time. This army will be more than just goats, rubrics, and sorcerers. 

It may take awhile, but I foresee us eventually having a codex full of distinct new units, some we imagined, some maybe not anticipated. And older things like mauler fiends and the rest pushed out(like death guard losing the heldrake) over time. We don't really need possessed or venomcrawlers. Here is hoping to egyptian themed sorcerer guided murder bots, doomwings/firelord flyers, psychic walkers, rubric's inserted into some sort of heavy armor toting massive guns, let the imagination run wild. I bet the guys at GW are cooking up some stuff. 

Edited by Ahzek451