New Thousand Sons units for 9th?

byrd9999

Yeah Ahriman killed Amon. I can’t remember the character names well, but could it be that Master of Ruin guy? With his robot? That would be neat

Yeah Ahriman killed Amon. I can’t remember the character names well, but could it be that Master of Ruin guy? With his robot? That would be neat

Ignis wears Terminator armour IIRC, right? The guy in the video is definitely in power armour. A representative of the Order of Ruin (or psychic robots in general) would be mega cool though.

Amon?

Dead.

Good. /grumpycat

Ah forgot that. What characters from the background are still around and would be likely to get a model?

Ctesias is pretty important but my guess is GW's main focus has been heavy on guys from the Planet of the Sorcerers, probably to stay away from all the Ahriman stuff and go in a fresh direction. It's probably some slave of Magnus... 

Edited by Archaeinox

Madox would be an awesome callback, especially since Crowe is a named character already and it would be symmetrical.

As far as the Codex, they could just bring a bunch of old stuff back instead of adding new:

Squads of Psykers in the Elite slot (3.5, anyone?).

Tzeentch Possessed (we used to have them in 3.0/Index Astartes and Ahriman's crew made them from captured enemies).

Indomitus-pattern Rubric Termies for heavy brawling w/Power Fists, etc. (Again, we had them in 3.0 and they showed up in the old card games too).

Thrall Wizards/Acolytes.

Psychic Contemptor.

This could be accomplished ENTIRELY with a Ravenwing-style large upgrade frame applied to multiple existing kits at once.

They could just release that, the new character from the box, and the Codex and call it a day. Massive improvement to both the faction and sales of existing kits for minimal investment.

Our struggles with efficient anti-tank firepower, lack of efficient heavy close combat "shock" units and over-dependence on HQ's would all be sorted and everyone would be better off.

I think a good idea would have spells / aura for each cult, and each sorcerers (including Aspiring ones) can be from any cult.

This means we can have many cults without the constraint of paying for extra detachments. This is fluffy as that’s what you see on all TS novels.

And that sounds powerful enough to allow us to exist on the competitive scene.

I’d like also something fluffy, like Rubricae that rise again after being killed (say, if killed by light weapon, as opposed to atomized by a lascannon). That could require a psychic spell from the aspiring.

Osiron... obvioulsy, but as its a FW model I know it wont happen

that should be a passive reward for being a pure TS army. actions are present in Crusade/Narrative and Matched Play alike so it would be an appropriate "psychic meditations" thing. 

What you are proposing is nice because it doesnt rely on additional units. Temper your expectations on new stuff, boys n girls

Edited by Archaeinox

What would work for me is psychic powers being passive/always on. I mean, some stuff is second nature to Thousand Sons, so should have to be rolled for.

Like a support sorcerer casting a kine-shield - Aura, all models within 6" reroll 1's on saving throws, or a different cult giving +1S to inferno bolt weapons etc. Alternatively, move witchfire powers to just be shooting weapons for TS, like Doombolt: Assault 3 S5 AP-2 etc., so models can cast buffs in the psychic phase then blast away in the shooting phase. 

My fear is that they continue with psychic powers being multiple layers of random, like random chance to cast, random chance to deny, random chance to actually inflict damage (like gate, models affected on a 4+) random amount of damage. Often psychic powers do less damage than an overcharged plasma pistol, however the plasma pistol can't be denied. 

If they want to keep that level of random, then psychic powers need to actually be devastating. I mean, 135pts of Eradicator have what, a max damage output of 72? (2x heavy melta rifles + 1x multimelta firing twice at short range) and they only have to deal with hit and wound rolls, which can be buffed by characters. By the same token, Ahriman, the most powerful mortal sorcerer in the galaxy would do like 15 damage on average with his witchfires (Assuming you roll nine nines for firestorm).?

Sorry, bit of a rant. 

Spells/auras need to be easy to cast and difficult to deny for the Thousand Sons, it's in keeping with the lore and makes for a different flavour for the faction.

I want a balanced psychic phase, I don't want a swingy game where I can do 15 mortal wounds with a 9+ or nothing at all.

Is that too much to ask?

(don't say yes).

• 3 weeks later...
Well seeing as thousand sons were supposed to be out before the new points book comes out all we're getting in the new codex is the new HQ infernal master and some list of upgrades for your warlord probably. Shame.

I am 100% ok with no new models besides that Infernal Master and just having absolutely nightmarish psychic powers. 

I've said it before, it's still tame and balanced. some of the filth these recent books can do will just melt a sorcerer. It really doesnt matter how much damage he can do in the psychic phase if he's taking 5+ mortal wounds and tons of damage 2 or 3 attacks from DE or something lmao..

i think it will maybe be some new units. i started a thread about who is the most popular chaos god but.

I feel like khorne and nurgle are the most 'common' gods, feels like almost all daemon players play either khorne, or maybe nurgle.

the reason why tzeentch may not get a new codex update, would be the same reason slaanesh, didnt get any update at all last time. they know where the gold is.

gw = greed.

i think it will maybe be some new units. i started a thread about who is the most popular chaos god but.

I feel like khorne and nurgle are the most 'common' gods, feels like almost all daemon players play either khorne, or maybe nurgle.

the reason why tzeentch may not get a new codex update, would be the same reason slaanesh, didnt get any update at all last time. they know where the gold is.

gw = greed.

Yes definitely the reason we may not get many new models is because gw don't want to sell the models lol

I really wish they would finally give Tzeentch some love. Khorne just gets everything!