Building upon Indomitus

Godfrey

Hello Brothers, I have returned to the hobby after a while.  I played Black Templars from 2003 till 2009, and this time around I decided I wanted to go shooty, and paint something with a bit more color and a little less black.

Currently, I have Indomitus, Tigurius, and a Relic Contemptor Dreadnought.  I'm wondering what competitive units could be added to build upon that.  I've been considering Guilliman, and plasma inceptors.

One thing left over from playing the first time around is my love for dreadnoughts, so I want to field the Relic Contemptor, and probably a plasma redemptor.  The Primaris Techmarine model looks great.  Do you guys think its worth fielding him with only 2 dreadnoughts in the army?  It looks like the current meta has eradicator spam, or hordes.  My guess would be, simply having a huge amount of bolters would accomplish killing the hordes, and also not be as vulnerable to the eradicator spam.

So, I'm trying to figure out what a strong core of the list could be based off starting with Indomitus.

Guilliman

Tigurius

Chaplain, MoS

5x Assault Intercessor

5x Assault Intercessor

5x Intercessor

5x Intercessor

3x Blade Guard Veteran

Bladeguard Ancient

Relic Contemptor, MM, CML, DCCW

Redemptor, Plasma, OGC, Icarus Rocket Pod

3x Inceptor, Plasma

3x Outriders

3x Eradicators

Total: Roughly 1,983 points

I'm not a huge fan of the outriders.  I think I'd rather run 2 incursor squads to get up the field quick.  I know the assault intercessors aren't very strong for Ultramarines.  I imagine swapping them in over the assault intercessors would likely be an immediate improvement?  Only thing of note, I don't want to spam eradicators like "everyone" else, so I'll need to account for Anti Tank elsewhere.  

I don't have a huge love for chaplains, so I'd be willing to use a different HQ, either Techmarine or one of the Indomitus HQ's?

• Yes, even with a couple of dreads, the techmarine is fairly worth fielding to keep them alive. That said, I feel like realistically he'll mostly only be healing and buffing that redemptor while the contemptor runs amok. On another note, is there still any advantage to running it as a relic contemptor if you're still using the multi-melta?
  • I agree incursors will probably work better for you. That said, it's worth giving the intercessors some fists or hammers depending on how much you've got left 
  • Bladeguard Ancient with only a unit of 3x BGV isn't really the most efficient - might be worth running a few more. Other things to think about is cutting him for an apothecary to make the unit a bit more tanky.
  • For anti-tank, you could consider more dreadnoughts, either multimelta contemptors or box dreads. The plasma redemptor also gives decent AT. Another alternative is multi-melta attack bikes or perhaps the hammerstrike stormspeeder (which I haven't tried out yet). The attack bikes are fairly suicidal though. Some people say ATVs are not bad but I'm not finding them as points effective as an attack bike. 

• All in all, what I'd suggest:
  1. switch chaplain for techmarine (master of forge is a bit overpriced I think but its up to you)
  2. switch assault ints for incursors
  3. bladeguard ancient into chief apothecary? or more bladeguard
  4. cut outriders if you're bringing incursors
  5. anti tank of choice
  6. consider bringing some victrix guard to shield guilliman 
  7. seal of oath relic never hurts
Edited by psyduck

Great suggestions!

I'm certainly not opposed to more dreads for AT. I actually haven't ordered the arms for the relic contemptor yet, so I can play it as anything. If it's a relic, I might as well get the CML for the top. I know it might work well with 2 ranged weapons for arms, but I prefer the look of one ranged weapon and DCCW. Should I simply run it as a codex contemptor? Or call it a venerable dread? I put MM, because it's likely run it up field so the dccw might see some use.

Assault intercessors > incursors

Chaplain > Techmarine

Ancient > Apothecary

Outriders > 2 bladeguard & 2 Victrix

Is there something that looks weak that another redemptor could do better?

I think the base contemptor with one multi-melta / CCW works best (in addition to looking classical). The main argument about relic contemptors is that now that they cost CP to bring, if you're bringing them, you might as well use their different weapon arms. I actually am not a massive fan of double ranged arms.

A second redemptor would be nice, but I'm not sure what to cut for that. Maybe the eradicators if you can find some points elsewhere as well? 

I have the eradicators from Indomitus, I might as well field them.

The CP loss from the relic isn't so bad for me, because I'm not a huge tournament player. Honestly, I loved the look of the UM relic contemptor model so much, I just bought it. Now I'm really struggling to decide what ranged weapon to put on it. I keep reading that I should put a chain fist on it also, but if I keep it a normal fist, I could still put it out as a venerable dread or codex contemptor.

Then the big question, what relic contemptor ranged weapon is actually better than a MM if you want it more for AT than Horde clearing?

Here's a condensed version of what we discussed:

Guilliman

Tigurius

Techmarine, MoF

5x Incursors

5x Incursors

5x Intercessors

5x Intercessors

Chief Apothecary

X5 Bladeguard Veterans

X2 Victrix Guard

Contemptor Dreadnought, MM

Redemptor Dreadnought, Plasma, OGC, IRP

X3 Inceptors, Plasma

X3 Eradicators

Total: 1,990

Last 10pts could be a fist or 2 power swords for the Intercessors. Or, I could give the bladeguard sgt a better gun.

How's this list look?

Looks good. You set on the master of forge?

For the relic contemptor, chainfist is definitely better, but like you said, that sorta locks it into being a relic contemptor. Also, for AT I'd probably say stick with the MM unless you want to go dual lascannon arms and sit it in the back somewhere. MM/DCCW fits better with the MoF though.

Let us know how it runs!

Calgar

Indomitus Lt

Tigurius

Victrix Guard

5x incursors

5x incursors

5x Intercessors, power sword

Chief Apothecary

2x Redemptor, Plasma, OGC, IRP

1x Contemptor Dreadnought, MM

5x Bladeguard Veterans, Neo pistol

3x inceptors, plasma

3x eradicators

Total: 2,000

I think this list looks pretty good for a fun 2k list with Calgar.

I think in order of things to buy, I'll start with the incursors, then get Calgar. If the Indomitus HQ's are playing okay, I might grab the a redemptor and inceptors before Calgar.

Calgar

Indomitus Lt

Tigurius

Victrix Guard

5x incursors

5x incursors

Chief Apothecary

2x Redemptor, Plasma, OGC, IRP

1x Contemptor Dreadnought, MM

5x Bladeguard Veterans, Neo pistol

3x inceptors, plasma

3x eradicators

Total: 2,000

I think this list looks pretty good for a fun 2k list with Calgar.

I think in order of things to buy, I'll start with the incursors, then get Calgar. If the Indomitus HQ's are playing okay, I might grab the a redemptor and inceptors before Calgar.

Calgar's a teeny bit overcosted for his value at the moment, but still a pretty nice model.

You've inspired me to try and brew up an ultras punchy contemptor list though..