New Codex SM supplements?

roryokane

If it were me and I were thinking long term, then a unique BT primaris unit is a must. Everything since 8th edition has made me think that Astartes are being pushed more towards power armor only and Scouts will eventually be removed. That would mean the Crusader squad also would some day be removed. I love the idea, it's very narrative and 3rd edition had a lot of great narrative rules that just don't fit within the simpler framework that 9th edition has for units and items.

Well, if BT are next, then I think we are more likely to see Primaris Helbrecht over Primaris Grimaldus or Primaris Emperor's Champion. Ghaz is :cuss huge and dead hard now, and Ragnar had to go Primaris to stand a chance, after losing their initial encounter.

Anybody holding their breath for a Primaris Crusader Squad? Honestly I see Assault Intercessors as Initiates and Reivers as Neophytes, just because both kits have a pistol and blade option.

Honestly, I want to see Primaris Pedro Kantor in Gravis armor when the new Fist supplement comes out.

That is about all I can think of. I want a 9th Raven Guard supplement, but we already have Primaris Kayvaan Shrike. I cannot see where Primaris Aethon Shaan (from Chapter's Due, and is canon Captain of 4th Co) would be much different. Maybe we will get a Primaris Kyrin Solaq (5th Co Captain), or better yet have Solaq die under the knife. Why? Because he had one job, and the Ethereal just slipped from his grasp! Maybe we will get a Primaris character from one of our Successors, like the Revilers, Knights of the Raven, or Necropolis Hawks. That would be cool.

Primaris Crusader squad is probably the main addition that's needed for the BT right now. Of course I want characters, upgrade kits, the works. But I'm gonna keep my expectations down. Like way down, unless I see something actually concrete first.

But, a primaris Crusader squad is something that could technically be done right now. Just a squad that can take both regular and assault intercessors. Done. Add scouts or maybe reivers as neophytes.

We already have numerous discussions in the Black Templars forum about what they need with Primaris. Let's keep this discussion focused on whether or not GW will print codex supplements to replace those from 8th edition, what those codex supplements might be, and when they might appear (beyond the ones that we already know are planned/published).

There is a laundry list throughout the Supplements that have become redundant/obselete/useless with the edition of 9e rules (most but not all related to terrain and melee combat) Now with the new SM Codex the cycle has started again and lets be real, The Salamanders, Raven Guard, Imperial Fist, Iron Hands, and White Scars are still kilometers behind the curve compared to the Big Four. 

The Deathwatch "supplement" looks to outclass anything the five little brothers ever had except that crazy six months that seemed like an eon of Iron Hands had in the sun. It would be nice to have say a second character in any one of the Founding Chapters, or possibly one unit that they could call their own. I'm not necessarily talking competitive upgrades, but rules that are representative of those Chapters playing styles. Rules that are not just useful but flavorful.

They came close-ish with the second 8e but then "Hands" happened and suddenly every Marine everywhere was screamed as "OP" and then Covid before the meta could adjust. Now 9th. Still Covid so meta hasnt really had chance to challenge Marines fully but slowly it is becoming clear there are other Faction with chops. 

I hope it's a sign that when the little brothers turn comes around eventually GW have the courage and imagination to popularize Salamanders to the level of Blood Angels or Raven Guard to Space Wolves etc. 

Edited by Dracos

I have to totally disagree with you. While Imperial Fists are probably the weakest right now, and Raven Guard/Iron Hands are not as strong as they used to be (i.e. just good now, but no longer top tier tournament winners at multiple venues), Salamanders and White Scars are easily at the top of the Marine Meta, including the new DW/Space Wolves and the index BA/DA.

If anything, Salamanders and White Scars Supplements got even better than they were, just through the arrival of 9th edition, and they are both able to leverage a lot of the new competitive Astartes choices better than basically anyone else, your "big 4" included (i.e. Eradicators, JP Vanguard, Plasma Inceptors, Outriders, Biker Chaplains, Bladeguard, Space Marine Bikes, Assault Terminators are all VERY good with White Scars and Salamanders).

I have to totally disagree with you. While Imperial Fists are probably the weakest right now, and Raven Guard/Iron Hands are not as strong as they used to be (i.e. just good now, but no longer top tier tournament winners at multiple venues), Salamanders and White Scars are easily at the top of the Marine Meta, including the new DW/Space Wolves and the index BA/DA.

If anything, Salamanders and White Scars Supplements got even better than they were, just through the arrival of 9th edition, and they are both able to leverage a lot of the new competitive Astartes choices better than basically anyone else, your "big 4" included (i.e. Eradicators, JP Vanguard, Plasma Inceptors, Outriders, Biker Chaplains, Bladeguard, Space Marine Bikes, Assault Terminators are all VERY good with White Scars and Salamanders).

Your missing my point. White Scars deserve a Chapter Master on a Bike. Raven Guards Chapter Master has about really bad synergy and their Chapter Tactics run counter to their Stratagems. Imperial Fist just need a rework period. I'm all about being competitive but I'm talking representing the flavor here. It is what it is and I'm all for letting the Tyranids and Guard (etc) getting a redo first. Just at some point I'd like to see a moment taken to make the Little Brothers supplements catch up with the Big Four without three years going by.

• 2 weeks later...

Your missing my point. White Scars deserve a Chapter Master on a Bike. Raven Guards Chapter Master has about really bad synergy and their Chapter Tactics run counter to their Stratagems. Imperial Fist just need a rework period. I'm all about being competitive but I'm talking representing the flavor here. It is what it is and I'm all for letting the Tyranids and Guard (etc) getting a redo first. Just at some point I'd like to see a moment taken to make the Little Brothers supplements catch up with the Big Four without three years going by.

but in the same time all other factions need a new codex before any marines (except BT) deserve anything.

And while all chapters had their "time" the Black Templars had nothing yet. So before there is any discussion about new Supplements for first founding chapter there must be a rework for all Aeldari factions, new Chaos Space Marine book (and to be honest - they deserve supplements too).

Can't disagree with anything other than I'd like to see the SM supplements (that includes BA, SW, etc) woven into the releases for the other Factions that need them most. For instance ... 

Start Feb 2021

Gene Stealers and Templar

Tau and Grey Knights

Tyranids and Imperial Fist

Craftworld Aeldari and Custodes

Drukhari and Harlequins and Iron Hands

Chaos Marines and Imperial Guard

Thousand Sons and Ultramarines and Raven Guard

Emperor's Children and Mechanicus

World Eaters and Salamanders and White Scars

Demons and Knights (Imps and Chaos)

It's a wishlist and my Faction is last but it would be nice to know something like this was really happening

Edited by Dracos

Honestly, if we're talking about supplement updates without further model support, there's no reason why they can't come out sooner rather than later.

Ultramarines, RG, IF, IH, Sallies and Scars deserve updated books to clear out the redundant rules, strats, etc, and to add the necessary Crusade rules. Also several of the chapters need quite a thorough reworking of strats and abilities to level out the playing field. Some are definitely too weak by comparison to others.

Rumour is BT book is happening.

It's happening. And the sooner the better.

GW have an opportunity to knock this out of the park with a few Primaris characters and perhaps a unique variant unit of the Assault Intercessors.

Primaris Crusaders Squads are my big ask. Well that and a proper Primaris kit like the Firstborn kit. Chains should be standard.

UM and WS could very well do with a nerf indeed, since they are the clear top of the crop of marine chapters and of the overall 40k meta.

You see, I don't know if you're joking, trolling or are ignorant. The UM are no-where near the top of the Meta, or the power of any of the chapters. Making such a statement is factually incorrect.

UM and WS could very well do with a nerf indeed, since they are the clear top of the crop of marine chapters and of the overall 40k meta.

You see, I don't know if you're joking, trolling or are ignorant. The UM are no-where near the top of the Meta, or the power of any of the chapters. Making such a statement is factually incorrect.

Goonhammer seems to think that UM are tier 1, at least. So I doubt it's meant as a troll-post.

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-competitive-tier-list-november-2020/

There's not enough data to compile accurate tier lists - a few good performances can skew at the moment because of the diminished tournament scene. They've had a good showing this month and they've lept up, as shown. It's worth pointing out that even a sub-par faction can perform well if certain units are spammed, but that doesn't reflect a varied or thematic playstile. We've seen this with Tau over the years, and with other examples.

Goonhammer in the same article place them as tier 2 of the Marine sub-factions based on their own analysis.

Either way, it's not simply a power issue. It's about having access to updated and relevant rules.

I'm not actually sure why anyone would say they don't want to see certain sub-factions get updated? When the Ultras and other chapters received their supplements last year I was saying we should see the same support for other sub-factions as well. And yet when someone calls for an Ultramarine update, the haters come out and demand that they should be either ignored or nerfed. Disappointing to see this push back from the community, and it's not just on this forum.

Edited by Ishagu

Goonhammer seems to think that UM are tier 1, at least. So I doubt it's meant as a troll-post.

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-competitive-tier-list-november-2020/

There was a lot of UM lists getting in the top 4 of recent tournaments which drove that ranking. Think it has something to do with tiggy and psychic fortress and guilliman auras. Plus ultramarines being pretty active in the mid game.

Their marine tiers confused me at first too, but the first marine tier was "what they previously would have been ranked as" . They're currently placed in tier 1.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Yeah Tiggy does benefit more in 9th, but the rest of the characters are pretty useless.

Guilliman is OK as he does offer some unique abilities now, but needs a point drop.

Edited by Ishagu

oh,... i got a list with UM which is extrem powerful. Dont fallow the any word you hear from persons you dont know. Make your own experiences.

Ultramarines still have an extrem powerful toolbox and stratagems.