Where on Terra to start?

Naminé

Hello B&C,

It's been a while since I last rolled a D6 in the name of the Emperor.  After getting bored with 8th I had no interest in the launch of 9th but now I am getting curious again and I can hear my sisters collection screaming to be set loose from their foam storage - so I'm looking at 9th now.

But honestly, for someone who's missed the big release I am VERY confused.  I even struggled to find just the basic rulebook to download

So can you awesome folks help clarify some stuff for me, as I'm trying to get back into this game and I've already spent an hour scouring the internet for this info -

1. Am I right in assuming that the Core rulebook you buy has way more rules depth in it then the basic download pdf (like how it was in 8th?).  Would you say it's needed to play the game or is the basic rulebook enough?

2. Is the Sister's 8th edition codex the right one to use, or has there been another random book with rules updates that I've missed?

3. I have an errata for the Adeptus Sororitas codex, but I cannot see anything about points changes in it.  Are the points the same as in the codex or is there another source somewhere?

4. Can I use my old small-base models, or do I have to use the new larger bases these days?

5.  Last question and not actually Sisters related, but thought I might as well throw it in anyway - Do you still get 'classic' space marine units or are they all Primaris now?

Thanks very much for any help!  I swear I didn't have this much trouble getting into the game with 5th edition :tongue.:

Welcome back! ^_^

1 yes. The core book, is the BRB for want of a better term. The other rules are for other game types. There are also some suppliment books that have more rules for factions, but that doesn't affect us too much.

2 yes, but the Repressor is now a "Legends" unit, i.e. can't be used in tournaments. Our Codex came at the literal end of 8th ed.

3 Not sure, I still haven't got the 9th ed rules and organised myself yet.

4 Old models and their base sizes are completely valid. GW has said many times that a GW model can still be used, with its original size base.

5 The regulars are still about, just not the focus any more.

Just so you know, Kill Team has been updated and Sisters have rules for it, albeit not that great. I've forgotten which book they're in though.

Good to see you here again! ^_^

1. The pdf is fine for the rules of the game. The book has all the missions and info for playing matched play, crusade, etc. 

2. The 8th edition codex is still the one used.

3. The points are in the Munitorum Field Manual sold with the Chapter Approved.

5. The original marines still have rules and are still sold and are playable. 

I'm not sure whether you're a tourney or narrative player, but the BRB, among other things, has rules for the new Crusade system, which IMHO is the best part of 9th; it's a way to start an army small and grow it over time; units earn experience, similar to the way they do in Kill Team or Necromunda. This system is being actively promoted- every Codex will include bespoke Crusade content, and judging by what I've seen in the DW supplement, the Crusade content is awesome.

Old marines now have two wounds- this helps them continue to be viable alongside Primaris units.

I think all the new points are in the Chapter Approved Mission Pack. These Mission Packs, by the way, are a new kind of publication; they include 18-24 missions each, and missions are now designed for 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000 point armies. This means a lot of extra diversity. Mission packs also include a handful of rules. There are also a ton of missions in the BRB for all styles of play.

As for Mission packs, there are 3 right now, and likely more on the way. The three we have are Chapter Approved- it focusses on Matched Play rules (it also includes the Munitorum Manual, which is where the point values are); Crusade- obviously focused on the Crusade rules; and last but not least, Tactical Deployment, which focuses on rules for Fortifications.

It's also worth noting that if you're okay playing with Power Level instead of points, they've just update Power Levels, and that document is FREE in the Warhammer Community FAQ section. A lot of folks don't like the vague nature of PL and prefer the granularity of Points. I just suggest it so that you could get a game in with just the BRB and the sisters dex you already have.

If you must have points, you'll need the Chapter Approved Mission Pack.

I wouldnt bother buying the main rule book. If you are used to 8th then 9th is just a slight update on that. If you watch a few games on youtube (i recommend tabletop tactics) and play a couple of games with some friends you will be fine.

I do recommend buying the chapter approved book, as really 9th is all about missions and you do kind of need it. This is the only eddition where I have actually bought the rule book or any CA. Normally i have always just bought the codex and that was it. The CA book also comes with point updates for every unit, but you could also just use either battlescribe or wahpedia, which i find make the point system far more easier.

If you have a big group of people who want to do crusade then it may be fun. Personally i played a couple of games of it and didnt like it that much.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help!  I managed to track down the points updates and someone has leant me the BRB so now I have -

BRB + errata
Sisters Dex + 9th edition errata
Munitorum Field Manual with points update
Legacy units PDF for Repressor, Uriah and Kyrinov.

So I think now that's everything?

I tend to enjoy playing competitively and narratively so I'm interested in any aspects of the game.  Now for the long road into understanding what's good and what's not!

(Also wow, 2 wound marines?  I guess Heavy Bolters are still going to be amazing in 9th)

I'd always recommend having the core rule book in some way. Rules questions always come up; being familiar with a previous edition and watching a YouTube video on changes won't help when your opponent says "wait what are you doing? Can you show me?". It's even more important considering 8th had like 4 pages of total core rules while 9th has rather more; 6th to 7th was a far smaller update in comparison. If you're interested in playing games rather than just collecting, owning the mechanics to do so is kind of important.

Thanks guys :)

I do have acces to the BRB now but reading up on the fluff when I get chance first lol.

I'm looking forward to purging heretics again!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys :smile.:

I do have acces to the BRB now but reading up on the fluff when I get chance first lol.

I'm looking forward to purging heretics again!

Welcome back :)  May the light you gaze upon be the light of the Emperor... and not a flamer igniting in your face!