Ground Tracking Auguries  4 x Kraken Penetrator Heavy Missiles

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Jet-bike Sky Slayer Squadron - 255

5 Sky Hunters - Multi-Melta

Sicarian Battle Tank - 205

Heavy Bolters

Armoured Ceramite

PTS: 2000

Wanting to do salamanders a little differently, Fluff wise its meant to be a recon company of sorts so everything is fairly mobile.

Tactical Support squad ride in the Damocles getting dropped off to old hold any back field objectives so shouldn't really be on the move that often but wanting an extra unit that can score and the Calivers give them that little bit of extra range. Not sure if I should swap for a small Vets squad with a ML & a couple combi-plasma's in it's place.

Damocles is in the list to assist with all the potential reserve shenanigans as everything else but the Sicarian can either DS or outflank.

Lightning is there to kill any big AV14 threats and earn it's points back before getting shot out of the sky.

Hopefully I've balanced enough for 2000 points, Most the firepower is short ranged but that's where the Salamanders seem to shine.

Edited by Papa_B

Ok, so I'm not sure whether you are aware of it or not but the elephant in the room are your Veterans - they tragically lost our beloved 'Marksmen' tactics some two years ago. Now if you want your Vets to reliably shoot then you need go for some combis. I realize flamers are your theme but losing marksmen may make them less appealing - i personally wouldn't give both squad 3 flamers each.

Otherwise it looks interesting. I would suggest always giving your warlord some inv save, so at the very least give him a combat shield, assuming you will jink - if not then refractor field might be necessary.

I think this list is cool: it fits the ‘chosen duty’ - a special mission for which the leader had been given special forces - a good reason for mustering some faster unit types not usually associated with the Salamanders. It would be a little bit cooler if the two veteran squads weren’t exact copies of each other, and now you have a good reason: one maybe outflank, the other maybe weapon-masters, to give a nasty surprise to someone? You can’t run up and give someone a heavy flamer in the face and expect never to be charged back. You could tweak equipment a bit too. Or some other way to make them visually distinct on the battlefield, like one unit in mk iv and one in mk iii? I think it helps tell the story ... I’ll leave the tactics to others.

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, so I'm not sure whether you are aware of it or not but the elephant in the room are your Veterans - they tragically lost our beloved 'Marksmen' tactics some two years ago. Now if you want your Vets to reliably shoot then you need go for some combis. I realize flamers are your theme but losing marksmen may make them less appealing - i personally wouldn't give both squad 3 flamers each.

Otherwise it looks interesting. I would suggest always giving your warlord some inv save, so at the very least give him a combat shield, assuming you will jink - if not then refractor field might be necessary.

Thank you, Was not aware of that completely missed that in the Errata/FAQ. Without rending the flamers don't have the same appeal.

Will tweak the list again but thinking one Scout squad (Plasma loaded) and one machine killers (Melta Loaded).

I think this list is cool: it fits the ‘chosen duty’ - a special mission for which the leader had been given special forces - a good reason for mustering some faster unit types not usually associated with the Salamanders. It would be a little bit cooler if the two veteran squads weren’t exact copies of each other, and now you have a good reason: one maybe outflank, the other maybe weapon-masters, to give a nasty surprise to someone? You can’t run up and give someone a heavy flamer in the face and expect never to be charged back. You could tweak equipment a bit too. Or some other way to make them visually distinct on the battlefield, like one unit in mk iv and one in mk iii? I think it helps tell the story ... I’ll leave the tactics to others.

Yeah modelling wise was planning to have them mostly in MKIV (Consistent theme with the Landspeeders & Jetbikes) as well as being visually less bulky than MKIII. Loaded up with a heap of pouches etc for their recon nature (Even considering using the recon marine models for the scout unit).

Veterans changes sounds good to me. Honestly a squad with Weaponsmasters could still use flamers quite effectively even without sniper rule - disembark, turn someone into a sizzling steak and then happily wait to get charged to shoot those heavy flamers again. Should your Plasma or Meltas squad dissapoint you can give flamers another chance. Losing Marksmen was quite a hit for me but overall i'm glad it happened - it validated other veterans and even other units (for me Recons and seekers for example).

Recon marine should pass nicely for scout veterans, you can always add some extra bits to show they are more experienced warriors. Especially with combi-weapons no one should struggle to recognize them as Veterans.

Will tweak the list again but thinking one Scout squad (Plasma loaded) and one machine killers (Melta Loaded).

This and using the recon models sounds ace. But machine killers with melta when I think I counted something like 8 multi-meltas already - that’s going to bring a lot of pain to some armies! Edited by LameBeard

• 2 weeks later...

As a jetbike fan, this is a nice potential list!

Have you thought about making that 3 man Jetbike squad into a command squad? They have heavy flamers, so you have to be prepared to be charged after you move up close and the normal bikes are terrible in combat, they're no better than 3 tactical marines. The command squad have access to decent combat weapons and shields.

The delegatus needs a refractor save or he's definitely going to die. I've found that 2 javelins are sufficient, the 3rd is overkill for whatever it is you're going to attack.