Chaos crack problem...

Plague _Lord

Yea for a while I was doing approx 100us a month for all hobby related, anything I traded or money I got from selling old kits was bonus cash.

I'd like to imagine some more complex self-plan like "the difference to 100 I dont spend is for continued savings to a larger purchase" but really just being aware of my limit meant keeping in check.

I often broke because of fb oldhammer trade groups; if some hard-to find stuff popped up I'd dive in, budget be damned...

I actually came up with something better - since I quit smoking 2 months ago I think I'll just redirect whatever whatever funds I used to invest into buying ciggies, into buying chaos.... It'll get me a box a month more or less.

I did that with takeaway/junk food. Basically, do I want that cheeseburger, or half a box of marines?

The Plastic crack usually won.

I too once felt the siren call of an army for each Legion - 2k of each, plenty of variety across the whole project and theming within each army. I even got Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors and World Eaters done(ish). Then GW decided they wanted to do things properly and started re-pointing stuff every year, and I just couldn't keep up. I also realised that actually it was a depression coping mechanism that I no longer needed, and discarded the idea entirely.

However, this left me with three mostly painted armies, none of which I wanted to strip (and in some cases due to resin couldn't), but the desire to get more stuff remained. After a bit of thought, I decided stuff it, homebrew warband that can take whatever the hell units I like, and thus the Stygian Lords were born. At the time I was working on the fourth army in the project, namely Black Legion, but had only painted one squad, so pivoted those guys into being the core of the force. Also repainting black and gold to purple and orange is pretty easy.

Just some thoughts from someone who's been through that particular crucible.

Dragonlover

I just could never bring myself to do any ground up DIY, especially for CSM. To GW's credit, the established factions/ subfractions are well done and cover enough to still make something "yours" despite that. I'm not good at homebrew, I let the minutes tell a story themselves instead. I hope I can get motivated to get some painting done for my IW's, especially now I am on holidays- the perfect time.

I keep an eye out for old stuff at my hobby shops, goodwill, etc and then sell them on eBay. I used them with some small bonuses from work and gifts, etc. I’ll do things like buy a start collecting box or a vs box (recruit edition for my assault intercessor needs) and sell off stuff I’m not thrilled with. Basically, I use that money for my hobbying, and Ill throw some to wife as well, which keeps her in good spirits about me hustling and hobbying.

I have a laser engraver, sublimation setup, and sandblaster, amongst other machines; I’ve toyed with the idea of making miniature stuff with to sell, but I don’t know if anyone would want to buy anything I make. I sold some friends bases and movement trays.

• 4 weeks later...

I probably have about 6k points of SWs.. they were my first Army. I also have no less than 2k of Dark Angels, Death Guard, KDK, Black Legion, and Word Bearers.. and those are just the Chaos and 40k Armies :blush.: 

You give in.. that is the only answer.. give in to the voices!