Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warhammer Preview Online – Decadence & Decay (Nov 21)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
312 replies to this topic

ShibeKing

ShibeKing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 310 posts
Chaos Marines are just wannabe Orks then?

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 609 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

...should consider little info-blurbs in new codices or supplments. Little page furniture of blurbs that shows they haven't forgotten about it. 

"...despite valiant efforts from the planetary defense for-*static*- was lost"

"Rebel leaders slain in latest assault on Hive-Magentine"

"Lord Governor Agamemnus survives ambush from infiltrated spies - Commissiariat to conduct purge of -*static*- news at 11..."

So I went and mocked something up.

DKbrehb.png?1

XBXGilB.png?1
a0VJi3V.png?1
YX0IWAe.png?1

These are purposefully vague, but it shows that there is still "Activity" of some kind happening.

J25oay8.jpg

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 436 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

One book for campaign and army rules, another book for crusade.

They need to stop releasing so many books. They could have put both in one. Invariably both will have the core rules in again as well so it's huge amounts of wasted pages. Morathi set the standard, 40k needs sorting out

It is weird that AoS seems so well thought through when it comes to books, while 40k is an absolute mess.

I really don't know what 40k is trying to do or achieve at the moment. Szarekh was introduced as the edition's big bad and nothing has happened. The pariah nexus is up and there's a crusade there. That seems it.

Now we've got typhus trying to take a "strategically important world" where Dark Eldar will quite randomly turn up.

The 40k narrative is a shambles quite frankly. Considering they've the whole universe to play with they're failing. My enjoyment of 40k is largely down to having played it for years and enjoy the races and setting. The narrative is woeful. Say what you like about AoS but there is a clear direction, really solid, engaging narrative and great releases to boot. 40k seems to be here's a metric ton more marines and some necrons for no reason other than "because".

The 40k team need sorting out they really do. I'm generally very positive about releases but considering we're only 4 months into 9th the bloat is greater than anything hithertoo seen.

I seriously hope to see Emperor's Children in 2021. The AoS stuff is hitting my slaaneshi wants. I hope that 40k can at least deliver on the model front when everything else quite frankly [bar crusade] seems utterly meh.
I think it's because all the people who used to love cohesion and were interested in writing decent and exciting lore have moved onto AoS because the potential there is still a treasure trove. Phill Kelly... when's the last time we saw him do anything 40k? Yeah.

The whole Fenris thing with the Gathering Storm? Yeah, that was never resolved. Vigilus? Completely unheard of now. Cadia? CADIA STANDS DON'T FORGET - but yeah nothing is happening there now that the "gateway" is smashed. No massive fleets or some such coming through that region of space, at all.

But hey, look at this new tank and it's four different variants that utilizes RARE grav tech. We've already sent out five dozen to every Chapter, and then some - regardless of where they are in the galaxy.
I don’t know guys I really don’t agree with you on this one

40K is a setting not a “narrative” you create the stories and GW gives us the setting... it’s always been that way

they’re just filling in the current time line like they always have. Think about it for 20+ years what happened? It was stuck in the same year, With dozens of campaign books that kind of led nowhere we were stuck at two minutes too midnight! that’s the point, they’re giving us loads narrative campaigns to play with at home and fill out the setting but the story always pretty much stayed the same 7th/6th/5th must of had 10 campaign books that did exactly that,

Now they spread the time line forward 200 years they’re just filling in the gaps all of these books are taking part in a galaxy spanning crusade of centuries

To your points
.Fenris has now had added lore as of ritual of the damned I believe
. Vigilus was resolved Chaos withdrew
. Cadia fell 200 + years ago
. That region of space is now part of the biggest warp storm ever, abaddon attacked vigilus to secure a foot hold through to imperium Sanctus

One more thing, the further Phil Kelly stays away from 40K the better he’s up there with gav Thorpe as worst fiction writers I’ve ever had the displeasure of reading

Edited by BladeOfVengeance, 22 November 2020 - 09:01 PM.

• Dracos, Son of Carnelian and Detjan like this

Balerion84

Balerion84

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
So yeah, as a DG player, this weekend I did not enjoy 40k-wise... I learned the codex will be incomplete and it'll released 2 weeks later than expected... fantastic... on the bright side, had my first test game of AoD ZM, so at least that was nice.
  • Hungry Nostraman Lizard likes this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,059 posts
Blade of vengeance,

40k is both... It is a setting and also has a narrative, it's just the latter is disjointed and displays no signs of joined up thinking.

Also it hasn't "always been this way". International campaigns were designed to move the narrative forward - Piscina IV, Ichar V, the one where Eldrad died and they retconned the campaign, etc, etc. To say there isn't a narrative isn't true. Hence the galactic tear and pariah Nexus...

The larger story has moved on but the narrative is somewhat weak.

It's not stuck at two minutes to midnight after they nuked cadia and brought in the primaris legions...
  • Noserenda and Slave to Darkness like this
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 436 posts

Blade of vengeance,

40k is both... It is a setting and also has a narrative, it's just the latter is disjointed and displays no signs of joined up thinking.

Also it hasn't "always been this way". International campaigns were designed to move the narrative forward - Piscina IV, Ichar V, the one where Eldrad died and they retconned the campaign, etc, etc. To say there isn't a narrative isn't true. Hence the galactic tear and pariah Nexus...

The larger story has moved on but the narrative is somewhat weak.

It's not stuck at two minutes to midnight after they nuked cadia and brought in the primaris legions...

They’re all fair point with the campaigns but we also got loads more like the diamor campaign, forgebane or the best yet two 13th black crusades lol all I’m saying is it’s never been very together it’s scattered because the galaxy is massive and all these stories they’re telling now are to fill in the 200+ years of lore we’ve missed

People were complaining non stop about aos lore for years but now everyone is praising it, give GW some time to fill out the setting and I’m sure it’ll feel stronger story wise

I agree that they’re not all gold but then again neither were the early editions, forge world imperial armour series were always the narrative campaign gems IMO
  • Slave to Darkness likes this

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,829 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade

GW has had 3 years and SEVERAL campaign books to fill this new status quo, they have been given plenty of opportunities to build something great but have failed miserably, why would anyone think they will get it right this time when its very likely its the same people writing it? I do agree that Imperial Armor has been the gold standard for world building and amazing lore but they haven't published one of those in years, so why aren't they putting the people that wrote those books into the mainline lore writing team? Even if they somehow lost the majority of that staff Im sure they have someone from that group that can build a much better book than what GW has been doing for years.

FW is practically dead, GW needs to step up and make great books, not mediocre crap because 40k does not deserve mediocre crap anymore.

• Slave to Darkness, lordhellblade and Hungry Nostraman Lizard like this
++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,799 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

GW needs to step up and make great books, not mediocre crap because 40k does not deserve mediocre crap anymore.

Time the lore caught up with the minis quality wise. 

As for the IA books, the Vraks tomes read like actual historical history books, I loved them. Something to that standard would make the extra books at least feel worth it...

• 01RTB01, Hungry Nostraman Lizard and BladeOfVengeance like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 436 posts
Unfortunately the lore king Alan Bligh sadly passed away, he was the mastermind and writer for most of those amazing book

I think the current campaigns are on par with the past though, Pariah Nexus is the best lore idea this edition or last and the campaign book for it was great

Edited by BladeOfVengeance, 22 November 2020 - 09:58 PM.

Squike

Squike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts
I don’t think they are going to advance the timeline anymore than they already have, for a long while anyway. They will just fill out the time between. I think the only reason the advanced it this time was to shove primaris down out throats

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,085 posts

Unfortunately the lore king Alan Bligh sadly passed away, he was the mastermind and writer for most of those amazing book

I think the current campaigns are on par with the past though, Pariah Nexus is the best lore idea this edition or last and the campaign book for it was great

You mean Warick Kinrade, who hasn't passed. Bligh did the two Badab War books, The Fall of Orpheus and War Machines of the Lost and the Damned. Talima Fox did Doom of Mymeara (though Kinrade wrote the original story for it) and Kinrade did the other 10 books.

Bligh was a great lore writer and a huge loss no doubt, but putting him on a pedestal and attributing all good FW lore to him is wrong. Bligh's style is based on Kinrade, who was writing these books before Bligh even worked for the company.

• Sandlemad and 01RTB01 like this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,799 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Ahh man I remember when Warick joined GW, nice to know he is still there... 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

TrawlingCleaner

TrawlingCleaner

++ CLOACARIUS RETICULUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,132 posts

This thread has run it's course as other threads have been opened about the models/rules previewed.

Please keep posts on the other threads to the conversation at hand, alternatively start a new thread in the correct sub-forum

• Black Blow Fly likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users