Best starting point for Custodes?

As you may have already guessed, I'm a newcomer to Custodes. To the point, what units are a good starting point and a strong foundation for a Custodes army, I've taken quite a liking to Allarus and Vertus Praetors for their looks and abilities. Would you recommend a list orientated around these units or change it up a little?

I would say that it depends on what you like lost. Custodes are great because you can take any of the units you like and make a core of your army out of it. Do you like the vertus praetors then you can start there and buy some to start as the core of your army. Make a shield captain or two on the bikes and you already have your HQ and core unit done. If you like Allarus you can double down and get a big unit or even two and build an army out of dread host Allarus to deep strike in.

Of course I would pick whatever troop choice you like for objective holding. A unit of shield Custodes or two are strong right now. Or a unit of sagitorium guard instead. So personal preference but there really is no bad start point for Custodes.

(also Telemon is a great unit to have in almost every list)

I've dabbled with some Custodes since 9th started, specifically using the updated profiles for Storm Shields and Saggitarum.

Stormshields in cover are just OBSCENE, 0+ save and a 3+ invulnerable. It takes ap-2 to even dent them. Oh and I'm sure the Vexilla providing -1 to hit is also helping!

Saggitarum with 2D on their main gun is also incredibly nasty, not to mention the 3D on the beams being super relevant in light of Heavy Intercessors/ Bladeguard etc. Some hidden tech is that you can advance with them and shoot both profiles for no penalty, as the maximum you can take is -1, so they can be pretty fast.

Stormshield-Guard in Cover won't have a 0+ save.

They have an inherent 2+, the stormshields ignore 1 AP (recent FAQ).

Also keep in mind, that an unmodified save roll of 1 always fails - Meaning a guard with Stormshield in cover will have a 2+ save and ignore up to 2 AP.

In case you meant that with 0+ save, sorry for misunderstanding. I just don't think the "0+ save" term describes what actually happens in an understandable way for new players.