Dual Relics

CCE1981

Currently I've been liking the salamander Slash captain with master crafted xenoblade, storm shield, jump pack and mantle via castellan. He deletes a lot of stuff with ease. In a pinch he's a good interceptor for tough things. Burn some cp on another chapters tactics. Like the wound bonus from BA or the Fleshtearers one as well.

Remember to always factor in doctrinal choices

When I am running the 2xSpectrus teams and Phobos captain I like to give him the mantle and purgatorus. I make him a dark angels captain so I can boost any eliminators with doctrine buffs.

He's not the most lethal but with his own scrambler he is not easy ambush. He can snipe and with his camo and mantle hes tough as nails. You may think the Artificer bolter upgrade may be better...SIA on his Carbine...meh...its already dmg 3 and only str 4 ap-2. I like the option an extra multi damage ranged weapon if people try to push in. Which is bound to happen

But yeah there's so many options and combos

Edited by Debauchery101

Currently I've been liking the salamander Slash captain with master crafted xenoblade, storm shield, jump pack and mantle via castellan. He deletes a lot of stuff with ease. In a pinch he's a good interceptor for tough things. Burn some cp on another chapters tactics. Like the wound bonus from BA or the Fleshtearers one as well.

When I am running the 2xSpectrus teams and Phobos captain I like to give him the mantle and purgatorus. I make him a dark angels captain so I can boost any eliminators with doctrine buffs.

He's not the most lethal but with his own scrambler he is not easy ambush. He can snipe and with his camo and mantle hes tough as nails. You may think the Artificer bolter upgrade may be better...SIA on his Carbine...meh...its already dmg 3 and only str 4 ap-2. I like the option an extra multi damage ranged weapon if people try to push in. Which is bound to happen

Mantle? Do you mean black weave shroud? I like that combo. A Librarian can cast MOH on him as well making him T6 S8 -4 2dmg 6attacks And opponent gets no invul. I really like that. I actually may put mine on a bike instead to make him T7. Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

Somebody thought about Eye of Abiding(no penalties to WS) and Master Crafted Thunder Hammer(4 damage)?

Captain will hit on 2+, ignore inv/ saves on 6 to wound and with right warlord trait to give him more attacks (Imperium sword? Merciless butcher?) can be quite interesting imho 

Edited by HorrOwl

I like that Xenoblade Captain.

Here's what I've been tossing about:

Phobos Captain with SIA access relic. Normally 30" range, Assault 1, S4 AP -2 D3, ignore LoS

SIA gets you either to AP -3 or D4 (in addition to +1 to wound or no cover options)

Use the strat to give him HQ wound rerolls of 1

WL traits have a few options in the Vanguard, the move after shooting one is very solid as is the +1D one (as the included MC rifle isn't a relic AFAIK), but I'm leaning towards pairing him with an Eliminator squad and using the +1 to hit trait on them, coupled with Paragon for the DA trait so they're always in Devastator doctrine while he's in Tactical.

TLDR: Phobos Captain is a S4 AP-3 D4 or S4 AP-4 D3 sniper with reroll 1s to wound vs HQ, buffs Eliminators to have +1 to hit rerolling 1s and additional -1 AP.

Mantle? Do you mean black weave shroud? I like that combo. A Librarian can cast MOH on him as well making him T6 S8 -4 2dmg 6attacks And opponent gets no invul. I really like that. I actually may put mine on a bike instead to make him T7.

Bike captains can't have xenophase blades for some reason. So sadly no T5 (T7 would require a Sally WL trait from their book and you're limited to the one that's in C:SM that gives +2 Str).

I would lean towards Imperium's Sword instead of the 2nd relic, but that's just me. IS gets +1 Str & +1 Att on the charge, and then you can cover for the 5+++ with a librarian and Fortified With Contempt.

Likewise you could do the 5+++ relic and cover for IS with MoH for +1 Str, +1 T, +1 Att.

Or double up on offense with both IS and MoH for +2 Str, +1T, +2 Att and still get the 5+++ with Fortified! (and a Tome of Malcador)

Edited by frightnight

I like that Xenoblade Captain.

Here's what I've been tossing about:

Phobos Captain with SIA access relic. Normally 30" range, Assault 1, S4 AP -2 D3, ignore LoS

SIA gets you either to AP -3 or D4 (in addition to +1 to wound or no cover options)

Use the strat to give him HQ wound rerolls of 1

WL traits have a few options in the Vanguard, the move after shooting one is very solid as is the +1D one (as the included MC rifle isn't a relic AFAIK), but I'm leaning towards pairing him with an Eliminator squad and using the +1 to hit trait on them, coupled with Paragon for the DA trait so they're always in Devastator doctrine while he's in Tactical.

TLDR: Phobos Captain is a S4 AP-3 D4 or S4 AP-4 D3 sniper with reroll 1s to wound vs HQ, buffs Eliminators to have +1 to hit rerolling 1s and additional -1 AP.

Don't waste the upgrade on his rifle. If you want a better sniping character then get a primaris LT and give him the lament...its 75pts....throw the sia on a chaplain bikers twin bolt rifles Edited by Debauchery101

Slash sally Capt. With jumppack, MC xenoblade, master crafted bolt gun, black shroud relic. Cast MOH on him. Shoot two shots of SIA at 3dmg. He is T6 3+/4++/4+++, 6 attacks S7 -4 2dmg deny invulns. Use strat to use BA chapter tactic for +1 to wound. Wounds many things on 2s, T7 on 3s and T8 in 4s. Sorry Swarmlord no saves for you buddy. Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

@The Unlikely Gamer84,

Pretty cool combo, but I am not sure if all your ideas add up --

1 - With the combo you describe above, he does not have SIA on his MCed Boltgun (he spent his two Relics on MCed Xenophase Blade and Blackweave Shroud)

2 - Xenophase Blade is base S5, +1S from Might of Heroes makes him S6... where are you getting S7 from?

That said, if you give him the special Salamander WL Trait "Anvil of Strength" (via Paragon of Their Chapter), you actually bring him up to S8 when Might of Heroes is active. Also, if you trade his MCed Boltgun for a Stormshield, then he gains a 2+ save (to help against massed low AP attacks).

Total, that would give you the following:

-6 x S8 AP-4 Dmg2 (Ignore Invul) attacks on the charge

-5 wounds at T6 2+/4++ and a 4+++ FNP against MW

@The Unlikely Gamer84,

Pretty cool combo, but I am not sure if all your ideas add up --

1 - With the combo you describe above, he does not have SIA on his MCed Boltgun (he spent his two Relics on MCed Xenophase Blade and Blackweave Shroud)

2 - Xenophase Blade is base S5, +1S from Might of Heroes makes him S6... where are you getting S7 from?

That said, if you give him the special Salamander WL Trait "Anvil of Strength" (via Paragon of Their Chapter), you actually bring him up to S8 when Might of Heroes is active. Also, if you trade his MCed Boltgun for a Stormshield, then he gains a 2+ save (to help against massed low AP attacks).

Total, that would give you the following:

-6 x S8 AP-4 Dmg2 (Ignore Invul) attacks on the charge

-5 wounds at T6 2+/4++ and a 4+++ FNP against MW

Sorry if I wasn’t clear when I said sally Capt. I meant that he was using the Salamandar warlord trait. I also meant S7 would be S8 after the MOH. I guess the MC boltgun doesn’t get SIA which is super lame and would make having the shield better. Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84