Where do you find time to read all these rules?

Axineton

So for context I love reading, I read sci fi and fantasy and other genres now and then when I’m fed up with what I mentioned. My job involves reading UN and EU approved dangerous goods manuals so as you can guess this gets very boring with all the legalese I read day in day out. Which brings me on to reading GW rule books namely: 40K 9th rules, GSC rules, space marine rules, deathwatch rules, necromunda rules and other necromunda rules. 

so the question is how do I find time to read all these books??? What’s your secrets?? 

I find just building random lists in battlescribe and looking at the various rules for the units I’ve selected within the app itself helps me familiarise myself with unit rules quite quickly. Even though there’s technically no such thing as USRs anymore, a lot of the rules do overlap between various units so you get familiar much more quickly. Plus it’s in the context of a list rather than just reading a list of datasheets in a book which helps me to take it all in and keep my interest as I swap units in and out of the list.

Obviously this doesn’t help at all with actual game rules though but it might help you with one aspect.

I would say this is wargaming's dirty secret, you need to study for each ~~test~~ game before hand, leisurely reading the rules cover to cover once won't cut it unless you live and breath the game each day. It's amazing what you forget in a few months.

That said the best games have a simple flow in practice and you'll only have to use a few systems most of the time, and look up what you need as you go. Sometimes a thing will be less complicated done than written down. Learning by playing works well as long as your opponent is patient or in the same boat.

The rules don't really change much between editions. You mostly just learn the rules once and just work from there. Especially if you play marine armies, as it's mostly the same options just with some tweaks. The only hard armies to completely memorize rules for are more diversified ranges like the Imperial Guard, where keeping track of unit toughness can be a bit complex when you jump between light vehicles, tanks, infantry, sentinels, etc.

Just write your list first, then learn in detail what your units do. Then go through your stratagems and pick out the ones you will need/use. Make a note, or make/use cards etc. If your opponent does something you don't think works that way or you don't know what's going on, ask them to show you/ check it, because they will be doing the same with you. Also go over what each terrain piece is classified as, LOS interactions before you even deploy or pick a mission. 

Video batreps can be helpful depending on whose channel it is.

Indeed, I find Miniwargaming highly entertaining and easy to listen to (very high production quality) but they play a little fast and loose with the rules....

Video batreps can be helpful depending on whose channel it is.

Indeed, I find Miniwargaming highly entertaining and easy to listen to (very high production quality) but they play a little fast and loose with the rules....

I watch tabletop tactics and these guys are really the only batrep people I enjoy.