Mazer Rackham

2qwbRz4.png

=][= DEATHWATCH: SOLO PLAY - 'KILL MARINE' =][=

OOC and Discussion.

Welcome everyone!

This thread is for discussion of the above, any rules queries etc all in the one place.  Feel free to discuss both Campaigns we're undertaking, any themes or what you expect to see.

Please be aware this is not a Recruitment thread as my player slots are full - but do not let that discourage your participation.  I intend that these games form the bedrock of a series of "RPG-Lite" templates we can use to try and address some of the concerns shared by the forum-goers in our Nook.  I want to try and make this as fun and engaging for all participants as possible, so ideas, comments and criticism are welcome.

Please note that the rules for the moment (for the RPG Forum) stand - I act in my capacity as Frater and GM first and foremost and will only step in as a Moderator if there is any infraction of the Board Rules.  If you have any concerns about the game, please do not hesitate to contact me as you would any other GM.

Now, with all that said, on with the discussion!

Mazer.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I'm looking forward to this, that being said, are you intending for there to be any overlap between the two operatives at any point?

Edit:

If the character gets approved, I'd like to explore the nature of keeping secrets and half truths, and what happens when what has been left to grow in the dark is dragged into the light.

Edited by Steel Company

I'm not directly intending for the characters to meet, but if circumstances and players allow, it could be a possibility.  I'm not ruling anything out, but each campaign can be treated as self-contained to keep the internal consistency strong for the featured characters.  Each one of you has your own limelight and I'll have that in mind :)

Secrets and lies and the dangers of knowledge - I have a couple of inciting incidents pencilled in, so we'll see what comes of it :) (Makes furious notes).

Mazer.

For Raziel's personality I'm leaning towards him being someone very sociable, mostly for this to break with the established perception of all DA being dark and brooding, and this would aid in his mission as an information gatherer for the Ravenwing... on top of that, it could be fun to try out a joking character with an agenda that runs contrary to why he is outwardly like that.

Playing against trope is a good dynamic and how he has a "dual personality" is a good way to build in some politicking.  Great idea.

It could be the reason for his dismissal to the Deathwatch for a spell - "Thou hast been hanging around the Angels of Absolution for too long, young Raziel, get some grimdark in your recaf mug."

The AoA conducts joint operations with the DA regularly (as you know, I'm sure :smile.: ) being notable for their bleak irony and gallows humour rubbing off a bit  perhaps?  It would certainly make him more amenable to those he has to rub along with in the wild.

In the intro post, I think there were a few nice touches - getting out of dodge before the heat came down.  Too much knowledge is a dangerous thing after all.

I've edited the actual Character Thread intro to up the skills of the characters, to take the edge off.

I'm also trying to make time for the launch in an attempt to get everything bedded in to avoid a misfire.  I'm going to try and schedule a couple of days off to cover it.  I'll be dumping another couple of threads in the main section so both players have their own train of posts, too - for simplicity all round if nothing else.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the new abilities - if they help or what.  We'll also talk Requisition and Renown in here when we're getting set up.

TechCaptain, don't be afraid to stick your oar in! :wink:

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham
Typo begone! BLAM!

I really like the new abilities, they make a ton of sense. Fortunately for me, by taking that advanced rank 1 class it meshes perfectly with his background, and let's me pick up a ton of fluffy skills later.

I like the idea of him having hung around with the AoA, it would also help with him making good with others in the Death Watch for advancing the hunt for the fallen, that he has no real knowledge of (yet) but he knows to look for old armour marks that are painted black.

Sorry, I missed the start of these threads going straight into Character building lol. Just to make it clear I am working more to try to make a bit more Common Bloodmoon Hunter but still haven't built much of how he is yet. I have a few things down and I am now working that.

Edit: Also still it will be interesting when he meets my Bloodmoon Hunter who wears old armor painted black lol.

Edited by TechCaptain

So had an Idea though I am not sure how or if it could be implemented. So Bloodmoon Hunters are trophy takers, well what trophy could a sniper take. My idea is that this guy wears a buckler shield over the electro whip twisted into his armor an for every kill he takes as a sniper he adds a shard of the Bolter shell into his buckler making it spiked with these shards.

I don't see any problem with it, except it may not always be simple to get a fragment of the round since Lugh may have been on battlefields where he had to leave the kill.  Perhaps instead of fragments of the round, he makes small studs from melted bolt shells, that he presses into panels of his armour?

It gives no real game effect, but it would achieve the look.

For the lolz, you could perhaps have them so tiny that they form a type of runic script, like braille, so that when Lugh sweeps his fingers over his arm, the braille actually tells him his windage and BDC tables..! ;p

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I hate double-posting as the old man in me feels like it's spam! :p

Just want to encourage both of you to dig a little deeper into your characters, go to town as much as you want on them.  With the campaigns being what they are, I need as much backstory as you can possibly throw at me so I can personalise your experience and craft hooks to snag you.  :)

I'm busy drafting up the start of each adventure with the call to the Deathwatch, which we will discuss more for each character.

Hit me with any ideas you have. :)

MR.

I don't see any problem with it, except it may not always be simple to get a fragment of the round since Lugh may have been on battlefields where he had to leave the kill.  Perhaps instead of fragments of the round, he makes small studs from melted bolt shells, that he presses into panels of his armour?

It gives no real game effect, but it would achieve the look.

For the lolz, you could perhaps have them so tiny that they form a type of runic script, like braille, so that when Lugh sweeps his fingers over his arm, the braille actually tells him his windage and BDC tables..! ;p

MR.

Thanks man, Though I was using Shells not round fragments. I do like the idea of the Runic writing on his armor with the studs so I am going to add that. It also fits the theme of Dark hunters well.

I hate double-posting as the old man in me feels like it's spam! :tongue.:

Just want to encourage both of you to dig a little deeper into your characters, go to town as much as you want on them.  With the campaigns being what they are, I need as much backstory as you can possibly throw at me so I can personalise your experience and craft hooks to snag you.  :smile.:

I'm busy drafting up the start of each adventure with the call to the Deathwatch, which we will discuss more for each character.

Hit me with any ideas you have. :smile.:

MR.

No worries I am definitely working up more and more history and ideas of how he got to where he is. I don't have the exact words I am going to use. But I am picturing Lugh to be a bit more Lone wolf than is usual even by Bloodmoon Hunter Standards but he isn't unfriendly just rather do things himself. Bloodmoon Hunters do tend to be individualistic but Lupine Hunters (pack Hunters) are the most common Tactical. Arachnid Hunters are Scouts, Trappers, and Devastators, While Raptors are Melee and Bikers who pursue prey. He is falling neatly as a Arachnid Hunter, unfortunately for him those are generally more senior Hunters who have proven capable by themselves. He is still quite young and skilled not quite proven. I was going to have him sent to the Deathwatch to learn teamwork but because of his skill set has been assigned to duties that he likes which is his lone sharpshooter stick.

I hate double-posting as the old man in me feels like it's spam! :p

Just want to encourage both of you to dig a little deeper into your characters, go to town as much as you want on them. With the campaigns being what they are, I need as much backstory as you can possibly throw at me so I can personalise your experience and craft hooks to snag you. :)

Hit me with any ideas you have. :)

MR.

On it MR!

On it MR!

What did you guys think of the quote I made for Lugh?

Edit: Finally got some stats up to start basing some more description and history around.

See, this is why the RPG Nook os the best sub forum on this board! :biggrin.:

@TechCaptain, was cool.  It reminded me of the mantra from Dune, "By my will I set my mind in motion..." A good mantra for focusing on the singular task at hand :smile.:

Just an FYI, I'm going to be using the Jericho Reach setting, but I'll be playing with the dates, so bringing everything forward about 200 years, so we can keep things smooth, so the date for the campaigns will be set some time around 950.M41 - 990.M41.

This means all Hive Fleets are known, Necrons have been spotted and all manner of downfall and turbulence has occurred.  It also means the Badab War is over, Baal has been invaded etc.  It won't affect our characters, but it's easier for everyone because it's technically "up to date" for the Legends period we're in, before the Hadex Anomaly got a giant enema and turned the whole Reach into a monstrous, interconnected cesspit.

I'm lucky you guys both declined the offer of Primaris or we'd have to invent a whole new pocket empire!

Anyway, keep up the good work!  Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

Kinda.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I liked the update MR, I'll try to get a follow-up post to cover Raziel's arrival on the station either later today or tomorrow my time.

Good deal, look forward to it.

Interesting, depending on where the mission ends up it makes it close to where Bloodmoon Hunters operate. The Hadex Anomaly is relatively close to them.

I also love what you and steel did in Operation Deadbolt.

Thanks!  Don't worry, when I get a moment, Operation Midnight will launch ;)

MR.

Awesome!

Now - I know all about how lethal and dedicated you lads are, but can we get some description in your profiles please? ;p  Otherwise your contacts are going to be wandering the whole station asking random people questions!

"You from the Bloodmoon Hunters?"

"Wrong guy.  Know what he looks like?"

"Er..."

"There's a guy in a skirt - go ask him."

Just a few rough descriptions, taller, shorter, thinner, broader, eye colour, hair colour.  Just a bit of something visual to work with.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham